Alright 7 days as a vegan, a beginners tale!

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv

Alright 7 days as a vegan, a beginners tale!

Post by Kim_Bo_Kastekniv »

So Monday is here and it is my first day:

I am full of energy and hopes, looking forward to my training later on today.

I have bought veggies in copious amounts, and tofu :) I am planing my evening meal during the day, so that i have everything that I need, when I get home. I write everything I eat down, so that I can plot it into cronometer later. This is my "blog" a way to share my experiences as I progress into veganism.

I will try to be consistent with my updates, but can't promise anything..

P.s. I accidentally drank milk at a cafe, still got some readjusting to do, being more aware of what is in the stuff i eat and drink. Oh well ill get there :)
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv

Re: Alright 7 days as a vegan, a beginners tale!

Using cronometer to plot in my workout and my dinner, just found out that I still need almost 800 Kcal to balance out my day. What should i do?

Maybe i just need to eat more during the day, oh well :)

Having a slight headache and a - not superising - sore body. But other than that i am feeling well, we'll see tomorrow if i can keep my Kcal high enough.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's great. :)
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv wrote:Using cronometer to plot in my workout and my dinner, just found out that I still need almost 800 Kcal to balance out my day. What should i do?
Vegetables are hard to eat in enough volume, since they contain too much fiber and water (it will fill up your stomach before you get enough calories). You'll probably want to add in more nuts, grains, and beans, along side the veggies.

Always keep some nuts on hand when you go out to snack on, in case you get hungry.

Whole wheat bread or pasta is another great way to add in more calories (I would avoid rice if possible, since it's not as nutritious as wheat). Oats are another good option, and have a lot of good complex carbs and fiber, and are very nutritious.

Tofu is an easy way to add in some more calories -- and protein. Tofu sautéed with a little olive oil is really great (if you have a non-stick pan, it doesn't take much oil). Baking is another good way to cook it. Just look for methods that make the outside crispy and golden brown (there are many videos on cooking tofu) since that's the most delicious way to make it,
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv

Thank you very much, that was very helpful. This is just my first day, I still have a lot of adjusting to consider. I'm thinking rough oat flakes (?) or whole oat (its a danish thing i guess) for breakfast with almond milk and fresh fruit and some sunflower seeds.

you are right about that I need more nuts to supply with during the day, maybe dried figs and dates also?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Kim_Bo_Kastekniv wrote:Thank you very much, that was very helpful. This is just my first day, I still have a lot of adjusting to consider. I'm thinking rough oat flakes (?) or whole oat (its a danish thing i guess) for breakfast with almond milk and fresh fruit and some sunflower seeds.
That sounds good. Choose berries if you can.
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv wrote:you are right about that I need more nuts to supply with during the day, maybe dried figs and dates also?
I would avoid dried fruit: it'll rot your teeth, and not very high nutrient content compared to nuts.
You might be able to bring a tofu and veggie sandwich.

Whole wheat bread, a big piece of spiced baked tofu, some sliced onion, a few leaves, or maybe grilled squash.

Tortilla style wraps are also very good to take on the go. Unlike sandwiches, you can even put some dressing in them.
If you have a blender, you can make a good dressing with salt, spices, water, lemon juice/vinegar, and nuts (the nuts thicken it and make it creamy).
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Check out this thread for any other tips
https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... 051#p17051

This is by a registered dietitian, Jack Norris who is vegan and pretty much covers most of the basics on vegan nutrition
http://veganhealth.org
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Whole wheat bread, a big piece of spiced baked tofu, some sliced onion, a few leaves, or maybe grilled squash.

Tortilla style wraps are also very good to take on the go. Unlike sandwiches, you can even put some dressing in them.
If you have a blender, you can make a good dressing with salt, spices, water, lemon juice/vinegar, and nuts (the nuts thicken it and make it creamy).
Yum, that sounds really delicious. That I will definitely try!
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv

Thanks garrethdsouza, I am already using it as much as I can :)
Kim_Bo_Kastekniv

Day 2:

Im feeling really tired, and the beginning of the day was affected by a mild headache. Tomorrow will be my first test in public, but im just going to prepare food to go... More to come, thanks for all the good advice it has really helped a lot!

Much love
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

Kim_Bo_Kastekniv wrote:Using cronometer to plot in my workout and my dinner, just found out that I still need almost 800 Kcal to balance out my day. What should i do?
I had that issue as well when I first went vegan about a month and a half ago. I remedy it by always carrying some kind of food with me, because I get hungry every few hours. I usually bring almonds or fruit with me, because they are some of the only vegan foods I have that will last a few hours unrefridgerated. I have also found that carrying some peanut butter and pretzels, or some wheat crackers also last pretty good as a snack.

But if you are consistently low on Calories, it is perfectly OK to use a little oil, eat some high calorie fruit like Bananas, or the like to get your calories to a safe level, although it is best not to get to that point at all. Eating a highly balanced diet is best.

I also enjoy bowls of cereal with almond milk, like Raisin Bran is one of my favorites since I can't eat oats. Vegan meats, like from Gardein is pretty good as well, and full of yummy protein! I am also adoring TVP as well, I like to add that in my cereal on occasion. Be careful with processed food though, they can add a LOT of calories in a small amount of time.
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/