facebook carnism is coxic

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

facebook carnism is coxic

Post by Red »

So I have a fake Facebook (which is totally not legal), and for shits n' giggles I joined a Facebook group that has open debate against vegans/vegetarians vs meat eaters. And after going through a quick rundown of the most recent posts, I always asked myself "Sheesh...................... Why be such an asshole? I mean I understand if you're very passionate 'bout something, but...". Now it's just a page full of shitty memes coming from both sides of the argument, but mostly carnists. Their posts are filled with assholeness, fallacies (one claimed that vegans don't really exist), and just downright the worst page I have ever seen on the internet. well, second worst..

At least in religious facebook groups (well, some..), they are at least attempting to be friendly, even if it's the most fake thing in the history of anything ever. I'm pretty sure most of these carnists are atheists (since from personal experience, atheism is the most prevalent religious view on the internet, so I guess that could be a possible factor as to how they just don't care about how moronic they are, and also since most atheists on the internet are new atheists, they'll take any passion to the extreme. I mean, it's cool by me if you're passionate about something, hell I got my passions, but if you're gonna be condescending to an almost obnoxious degree, to me (or to the average dick really) that doesn't really help your credibility. Like this one time I pointed out that the guy used a Strawman, then he responded by saying that I'm a speciest (since it's a strawman. It's like saying spokesman instead of spokesperson y'know what I'm sayin'), which is another strawman in itself.

Sorry if half of this doesn't make any sense it's 10:48 pm
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Re: facebook carnism is coxic

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote: Sorry if half of this doesn't make any sense it's 10:48 pm
Haha, I stayed awake until like four-thirty last night. I was barely tired, and basically had to force myself to sleep. I think I had too much sugar...
And tonight, I just noticed that at some point, I put a paper plate in the sink... :lol:
I'm also not that tired right now, even though it's midnight. And I kind of want coffee, but that's probably a bad idea. ;)

Well, anyway, yeah, those groups are crazy.

There seems to be a growing number of crazy dogmatic vegans, and I think it's a real problem for the movement.
Today, there was this guy who made a post that meat-eaters don't deserve to live. I tried to explain why that wasn't effective activism, but he wasn't very receptive (to say the least). He said I was a 'vegan apologist' (apparently a vegan who has a 'to each their own' mentality, which I don't).
I met a sane vegan, though, and I also met a sane meat-eater the other day in one of those groups.
He's actually the guy I blocked out in red in my last post on this topic: https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... &start=120

He doesn't seem very reasonable in that discussion, but he sided with me in an argument (not agreeing with veganism, but an argument about sourcing) afterwards, and I learned that he's actually pretty reasonable. He only eats meat from animals he hunts (I don't support that, but it's a lot better than what most people do), and gets almost all his animal products from friends' farms.
We got to talking about politics (shocking), and I'm trying to convince him that Sanders is the best option. He said he thinks Sanders makes some great points (particularly about money in politics, which he sees as a very important issue), but that a large reason he doesn't support Sanders is because he would apparently add eighteen-trillion dollars to the national debt. I'd be extremely surprised if that were true (though he did provide some articles from reputable sources, but they may not be entirely fair), so I'm going to look into it.

Some of the craziest things I've heard in those groups:
If we stop eating meat, we will devolve into our ancestors.
We can't condemn ISIS as immoral.
I think we should abort fetuses of endangered species, so I'm a hypocrite, or something.
All foods are equal (carrots, deer, humans).
Meat prevents world hunger.
Most vegans are homosexual, therefore they don't care about babies.
The AHA is 'bullshit central', and citing it is an appeal to authority.
Pointing out other peoples' logical fallacies is a logical fallacy.
Scientific consensus is irrelevant.
If vegans were starving, we'd eat meat, so we're hypocrites.
Saying that factory farming causes climate change is as ignorant as saying that homosexuality causes earthquakes.
Quote: "when the shit hits the fan guess who will be the first to holler OH MY GOD it will idiots like you" :lol:
So when atheists say, "Oh my god!", it means that we secretly believe in 'god'.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

RedAppleGP wrote:So I have a fake Facebook (which is totally not legal)....
Really? Why not?
EquALLity wrote:We can't condemn ISIS as immoral.
Why not? Moral relativity? Have you heard atheists say shit like this? Lately I've been feeling frustrated at how many atheists espouse moral relativity. Why? Is it not easy to see what a ridiculous and useless concept "morality" is if it's subjective? Do atheists who care about morality not realize, that in order for "morality" to be a useful and coherent concept, that it must be determined objectively?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Yep, because of moral relativism.
I know, it's crazy. And they went on to condemn me as immoral because they thought I wanted to wipe out endangered species or something! :P
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote:^Yep, because of moral relativism.
I know, it's crazy. And they went on to condemn me as immoral because they thought I wanted to wipe out endangered species or something! :P
I'm pretty sure they took Tj's video into account..
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:
EquALLity wrote:^Yep, because of moral relativism.
I'm pretty sure they took Tj's video into account..
Huh?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:Really? Why not?
Impersonation is a felony. Well, I'm not trying to Impersonate, so maybe the rules don't apply.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Huh?
Vegetarians fail video.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:
Huh?
Vegetarians fail video.
He's renounced parts of that video.

I don't think so, though. They were largely conservative.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I know he renounced it.
-Leonardo da Vinci