Vegan diet impact on your health

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
garrethdsouza
Diet: Vegan

Vegan diet impact on your health

Post by garrethdsouza »

What changes has switching to a vegan diet had on your health? Pros and cons.

Note: specify if you're a bivalavegan (ie if you eat oysters and what frequency).
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Vegan diet impact on your health

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

I was vegetarian at first from April to November, and went Vegan the day after thanksgiving.

Before I went vegetarian, I was 222 pounds, had breathing issues, and horrible acid reflux. Now, 9 months later, I am 175 pounds, I breath much better, my acid reflux is greatly reduced, I feel better, have more energy, and feel lighter, and look better. I have not noticed anything significant since I went vegan, but it has only been a month since then.

Right after I went vegetarian I ate a lot of raw foods, and as a result had awful digestive issues that won't get far too much into detail here, because TMI, but yep. I wasn't raw for any health reasons, I was just an awful lazy cook. But that went away after I started cooking more, and when my body started getting used to eating 10 times more fiber.

And no, I am not a Bivalvegan, just a regular ol plantetarian.
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/