Cronometer challenge

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
knot
Master in Training

Cronometer challenge

Post by knot »

https://cronometer.com/

I'm in the process of making my diet less shitty, so I've started using cronometer. If there's anyone here who uses it, can you show me a screenshot (or list the items) of a sample day that does all of these things:

- meets 100% of the requirements (or close to)
- is cheap
- has as few different items as possible
- has as few calories as possible

thanks!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Cronometer challenge

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You either need to eat a really large amount of veggies/sesame seeds (I can recommend the former more than the latter, but it's really hard to do), or supplement on calcium through fortified products, a supplement, or something like molasses.

Here's an example with a more moderate amount of veggies, and supplementing on calcium with almond milk:
cronoexample.jpg
Nutritional yeast can also help with some B vitamins.
What have you been having trouble with?

All of that, by the way, should cost about $3.50 a day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Here's another example.
cronoexample2.jpg
I used blackstrap molasses (it's important that it's blackstrap, not sweet) instead of fortified almond milk for calcium. I also had to add in sunflower seeds for vitamin E, and reduce the amount of pasta (because molasses is high in carbs too).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Thanks<3 My main problem seemed to be calcium and vitamin D (don't go outside much). But I was also just looking for ways to do it as efficiently as possible to save time, money, energy/resources
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

knot wrote:Thanks<3 My main problem seemed to be calcium and vitamin D (don't go outside much). But I was also just looking for ways to do it as efficiently as possible to save time, money, energy/resources
D you just have to supplement on if you don't go outside. There's no very practical food source.

Your main source of calories should come from whole grains and beans, and then some from nuts and seeds for your fats and fat soluble vitamins. You only need a few veggies each day for misc vitamins and more fiber/antioxidants.

Trying to get enough calcium from veggies would mean being more particular about your sources (collards will give you all your calcium in 500 g), or eating a much larger quantity (up to a few kilograms in some cases -- 3 kg for broccoli).
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Here's another example, using collards (which are, I think, probably the best source of calcium you'll find in a frozen veggie)
cronoexample3.jpg
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:You either need to eat a really large amount of veggies/sesame seeds (I can recommend the former more than the latter, but it's really hard to do), or supplement on calcium through fortified products, a supplement, or something like molasses.

Here's an example with a more moderate amount of veggies, and supplementing on calcium with almond milk:
cronoexample.jpg
Nutritional yeast can also help with some B vitamins.
What have you been having trouble with?

All of that, by the way, should cost about $3.50 a day.
How important is the nutritional yeast? I don't think that's available in the NL.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
inator

Post by inator »

miniboes wrote:How important is the nutritional yeast? I don't think that's available in the NL.
I've bought nutritional yeast in Amsterdam in a health food store.
Last edited by inator on Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: How important is the nutritional yeast? I don't think that's available in the NL.
Plants are unfortunately not very good sources of B vitamins. Fungi are much better. Whole grains are OK, but nuts are particularly bad for B vitamins, and since I included a lot of nuts for the good fats, B vitamins need to be compensated by a very rich source.

Marmite is an option (also yeast), but very salty.
You can probably find nutritional yeast online; order in a larger quantity (several kg) for a decent price.

Otherwise, mushrooms are an option, but less affordable.
cronoexample4.jpg
That's quite a few mushrooms. Viable, but could be pricey. Might increase your budget a couple dollars a day.
I would recommend nutritional yeast, or just taking a B complex or multivitamin at that point.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Here is without mushrooms.

Note how you have to be a lot more careful about your foods. Lentils are healthier than chickpeas (I chose chickpeas before because they're a pretty average bean, and could be relatively easily subbed by other beans).
Collards also had to be increased a bit.
Walnuts had to be replaced by flax for Omega 3 and Sunflower seeds (a good source of vitamin E) had to be increased.
Whole wheat pasta was also increased based on the calorie savings from switching to lentils for more B5.
cronoexample5.jpg