Street Epistemology Applied to Carnism/Veganism

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Heartborne
Diet: Vegan

Street Epistemology Applied to Carnism/Veganism

Post by Heartborne »

Some of you may be aware of the existence of Peter Boghossian's book, A Manual for Creating Atheists and Anthony Magnabosco's Youtube videos. They also have a (secret, but not restrictive) Facebook Group dealing with the topic, Street Epistemology (Private Group).

On that same group, someone recently started a discussion thread about the application of Street Epistemology (SE) to Carnism/veganism, which I thought you may find interesting — as it deals with various environmental/philosophical/ethical/biological (some, quasi-)arguments on the subject matter.

Also, in one of Magnabosco's recent podcasts, live on Blab (like a Google Hangout, of sorts), and in one of his conferences, he mentioned that someone in the community used SE on him and he's now considering going veg.
He's monitoring the thread, and as he's quite influential (as is Boghossian), I find it important to have some of your voices heard on that venue — even though I just wish he would join us here.

Here's the link to the discussion thread (pretty much everyone can join the group, it's just a door):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/streete ... 605816491/

I'm also providing a screenshot of the conversion; which I'm keeping for archiving reasons — I'm not sure if they are eventually going to delete the thread. It seems like they are already questioning its validity on the group's space.

Dropbox link for the screenshot
http://bit.ly/22qFgSi
[updated: 2015-12-24 06:23PM GMT+0]

(let me know if the link is not working, I can always attach the image)

- Note: This is not really a call to arms nor is it a complaint; I just wanted to share the link, and I was just not really sure where to post it; feel free to move the thread if necessary, thank you in advance.
Darken

Re: Street Epistemology Applied to Carnism/Veganism

Post by Darken »

Hi Heartborne,

I've been watching a great deal of Anthony's vids lately and have been wondering about how veganism would fare against SE and if it could be useful as a tool to talk with nonvegans. reading the thread right now ;)
Darken

Post by Darken »

wow.. I'm about halfway and the nonsense I read... I had this feeling that SE folk would be quicker to see the point, but they just start to balk away from the notion that SE can be used on carnism/veganism. Odd.
Anthony Magnabosco got me thinking that it was the belief and how you got it that was questioned and not the truth claim.
It's seems that there is a notion, that a "belief" held by all of humanity can't be questioned by SE.. can't wait till the open the "door" for me ;)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

@Heartborne It'd be great if you could upload the screenshot. I'm not sure if it's too big to post as an image.

SE is a great tool for challenging carnism.
What most of the people seem to be doing there is just rejecting the challenge based on the idea that it's the default position... but you can challenge that dogma with SE too.

Like @Darken suggested, do they hold that same standard with other widespread beliefs? Like marriage being between a man and a woman? Or say... a god existing? If it's the societal default, does that mean it's not OK to question it?

I think you'd find they'd have trouble answering that.