Cowspiracy accuracy

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
garrethdsouza
Diet: Vegan

Cowspiracy accuracy

Post by garrethdsouza »

To what extent is cowspiracy accurate? Any rational criticisms? Would also be useful in addressing the carnist apologists who are its detractors.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Cowspiracy accuracy

Post by brimstoneSalad »

This is a great thread idea. Can we get a full transcript somewhere? I've only seen it once, but I'd need a breakdown of the facts in order to talk about which are accurate, which are exaggerated, and if any are bullshit.

In general, the thrust of it was right, but some of the statistics seemed a bit out of place, and I'm not sure about some of the 'experts' who were interviewed.
Overall, good documentary that will introduce a lot of people to the environmental issues, but it certainly could be improved to make it more bulletproof to criticism.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Cowspiracy accuracy

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:This is a great thread idea. Can we get a full transcript somewhere? I've only seen it once, but I'd need a breakdown of the facts in order to talk about which are accurate, which are exaggerated, and if any are bullshit.

In general, the thrust of it was right, but some of the statistics seemed a bit out of place, and I'm not sure about some of the 'experts' who were interviewed.
Overall, good documentary that will introduce a lot of people to the environmental issues, but it certainly could be improved to make it more bulletproof to criticism.
Here's the subtitles in text form: http://pastebin.com/K2mfxvLZ

It doesn't read very nicely, but it's the closest thing to a transcript we have.

Link to facts and sources: http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

The first inconsistency I spot is the first and third fact: the first says animal agriculture accounts for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions, the second says it's 51% of worldwide gas emissions. without even counting methane. Maybe the first statistic is only in the USA?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum