Good Fact-Based Vegan/Health YouTubers? Websites?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Good Fact-Based Vegan/Health YouTubers? Websites?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:It IS true that is has no real health benefits compared to, say, drinking your coffee black (just learning to like it that way: I do).
How useful is it to drink coffee black? Each day, I usually drink one mug full of 3/4 coffee and 1/4 unsweetened-soymilk. Would it be better to drink a full mug of black coffee, not diluted with soymilk?
Oh, no, that's fine. I was just talking about sugar.

I like it black, though.
ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:What are the best foods for antioxidants, relative to price? Berries are quite good (especially blackberries), but can be quite expensive. During the past week or two, my nearest produce store has been selling blackberries for $0.99 per 18 ounces. This is a great price. I've been buying many of these low-price boxes of blackberries, and eating large quantities of them. However, this is a temporary (and very rare) sale. They're usually about $3 or $4 per pound, and frozen berries are only slightly cheaper. Are there some foods with higher antioxidant-to-price ratios than blackberries? Thank you.
Wow, that's a great sale! I'd buy them out and freeze the buggers you can't eat.

Otherwise, Greger actually did a video on bang for your buck; really rare for him, and one of the best videos he has done (I really appreciated it, since it was actually useful/pragmatic).

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/superfood-bargains-2/

Here's another followup:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/biggest ... your-buck/

This is really relevant for people in food deserts.
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Plant positive is also pretty good relating to debunking the saturated fat apologia though I think he stopped making new videos.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
cornivore

Post by cornivore »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:02 am Greger also mentions that chicken contain deadly arsenic http://nutritionfacts.org/video/arsenic-in-chicken/, based on a study of incomplete data from 1975? A study that draws no conclusion besides "this might happen but we have limited research?" And one last study that talks about Rice bran? Claiming that the extremely minute amounts of inorganic arsenic might harm children dying of malnourishment? I will leave that there and go one with some other points.
A good fact-based website for info about arsenic is that of the FDA. I was looking into it based on another topic, FYI (they confirm such info or provide more details about poultry, rice, etc).