Chickpeas/hummus

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
jraejen
Diet: Vegan

Chickpeas/hummus

Post by jraejen »

Has anyone had issues with digesting chickpeas? A few weeks ago I got pretty sick (like nauseous for a week) off of some hummus I made (or could've been the lentil soup I had the day before, but I think it was the hummus). I don't think it was my cooking skills: I'm not it is possible to mess up hummus (ingredients: organic, canned chickpeas; tahini; salt; garlic; lemon). Could've been the tahini too i guess...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Chickpeas/hummus

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Could have been too much salt, from canned chickpeas, and then adding more salt to it.

Can you try making it from dry beans? Soak, boil, then process into hummus.
jraejen

Post by jraejen »

Can you try making it from dry beans?
Yeah, I've done dry and canned before with no problems. maybe it was just a rare occurrence; just slightly scared to eat chickpeas again :shock:
inator

Post by inator »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Could have been too much salt, from canned chickpeas, and then adding more salt to it.

Can you try making it from dry beans? Soak, boil, then process into hummus.
I've never been able to boil chickpeas properly. Every other legume is fine, but for chickpeas I have to use cans. I've tried soaking them for hours on end, boiling them for different amounts of time, changing the water various amounts of time, tried different techniques (apparently there's a whole art to it) and they were still rock-hard. Any tips?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

inator wrote: I've never been able to boil chickpeas properly. [...] Any tips?
You have hard water. Add a pinch of baking soda while soaking/boiling.
inator

Post by inator »

brimstoneSalad wrote:You have hard water. Add a pinch of baking soda while soaking/boiling.
Tried that and failed. But thanks. I could use bottled water....
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

inator wrote: Tried that and failed. But thanks. I could use bottled water....
You probably did, but make sure it was baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) rather than baking powder, which is a mix.

Deonized, or distilled, water could work. Or the beans might just be really old. Can you find another source/brand? How long did you soak them?

Usually soak for up to a day, and then boil for around two or three hours on a low simmer.

Worst case, a pressure cooker will get the job done.
inator

Post by inator »

brimstoneSalad wrote: You probably did, but make sure it was baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) rather than baking powder, which is a mix.
Deonized, or distilled, water could work. Or the beans might just be really old. Can you find another source/brand? How long did you soak them?
Usually soak for up to a day, and then boil for around two or three hours on a low simmer.
Worst case, a pressure cooker will get the job done.
If memory serves, I did use the right stuff. I can just try again to make sure.
I've tried 2 different brands, I'll give it a shot with others as well. I soaked them for a day+ and in my longest attempt, I let them simmer for 8+ hours. Yes, I was THAT desperate for hummus.
I might just get a pressure cooker... I'm really unconfortable with all the waste that canned products cause.

Thanks for the tips.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

inator wrote: I might just get a pressure cooker... I'm really unconfortable with all the waste that canned products cause.
Maybe you're just at a very high elevation.
If a pressure cooker doesn't work, you might want to consider applying for the million dollar paranormal challenge, since you're supernaturally unable to properly cook chickpeas. ;)

Alternatively, you can just grind them into flour with a really good blender, then mix with water into a paste and microwave. Then break apart the dense bread, and blend that with more water, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, etc. to make the final hummus.
inator

Post by inator »

brimstoneSalad wrote: If a pressure cooker doesn't work, you might want to consider applying for the million dollar paranormal challenge, since you're supernaturally unable to properly cook chickpeas. ;)
I would, but I actually ascribe that to my astounding talent in the kitchen rather than paranormal events. Still, you should've asked for a share of the prize for suggesting it.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Alternatively, you can just grind them into flour with a really good blender, then mix with water into a paste and microwave. Then break apart the dense bread, and blend that with more water, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, etc. to make the final hummus.
How very resourceful of you. Sounds good, I'll give it a shot when all else fails and I've spent my million dollars on store bought hummus.