Eggs information

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Eggs information

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

As a vegetarian, i also consume milk and eggs and had found this article on sciencealert.com/watch-here-s-why-you-need-to-eat-more-eggs

I ask vegans to take insight into this, and tell me if it is true or false and why ?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. i posted this in the vegan support forum since i am thinking to go vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Eggs information

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unknownfromheaven wrote:As a vegetarian, i also consume milk and eggs and had found this article on sciencealert.com/watch-here-s-why-you-need-to-eat-more-eggs

I ask vegans to take insight into this, and tell me if it is true or false and why ?
Some of the things are technically true, but also misleading. Like "how to lie with statistics", they are wording things in a deceptive way like politicians.

Eggs contain a lot of protein (the whites), but they are very high in bad protein called Methionine. So the higher the protein eggs are, is actually worse for you.

It says eggs contain all of the essential amino acids, and that's true -- but it implies that other foods don't contain all of the essential amino acids, and that's a lie.
It's better to get protein from beans and legumes, which ALSO contain all essential amino acids.

Eggs contain a lot of choline -- also true. But eating too much choline is bad, because it will be fermented in the gut into TMAO.
See this video:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-ch ... nd-cancer/

We need choline, but we shouldn't eat too much of it, and eggs probably have way too much choline in them.
You can easily get enough choline from veggies, soybeans, etc.

Eggs have a little bit of vitamin A in them, but not very much. It's much better to get from veggies, which are more dense sources.

100 calories of eggs have 11% of your vitamin A.
100 calories of broccoli have... 147% of your vitamin A.

Compared to vegetables, eggs are useless for vitamin A. If you eat some veggies, you don't need to eat eggs.

About cholesterol: It is bad for you, but eating a little bit of cholesterol is similar to eating a lot of it. So, the government removed the recommendation because they want people to focus on saturated fat instead (which is more important).
Eliminating dietary cholesterol is still essential to preventing and reversing heart disease, but if you don't eliminate it completely, it doesn't matter much if you eat a little or a lot. 0 cholesterol is good, but if you eat some cholesterol, it doesn't matter so much the amount.

Anyway, the fat in eggs is mostly saturated fat -- that's a fact that makes eggs bad, and one that article omitted.

About the cholesterol in eggs being good for you, because it's HDL, I believe that is a lie:
https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... 392#p14177
While they may contain HDL, that should all be broken down in your stomach, and just turns into regular cholesterol.
So dietary LDL and HDL are probably the same, and both bad for you.
It's only in your blood where HDL is better than LDL.

So, you can see how the things they are saying are mostly true, but are deceptive, or only part of the story.

Unknownfromheaven wrote:P.S. i posted this in the vegan support forum since i am thinking to go vegan.
That's great to hear! It will be the best outcome for your long term health.

Just make sure you eat lots of beans for protein, take B-12, eat plenty of good healthy veggies, and get a little sun each day for vitamin D (or take a vitamin D supplement if you stay out of the sun).

We're glad to give you suggestions on your diet if you let us know what you're eating.
Unknownfromheaven

brimstoneSalad wrote: Some of the things are technically true, but also misleading. Like "how to lie with statistics", they are wording things in a deceptive way like politicians.
Why do you think they do that ? What seems to be the motive and interest of others on what should we eat? Especially if something misleading was posted on a science source site.

brimstoneSalad wrote: Just make sure you eat lots of beans for protein.
I have a problem with beans, even if i love them, its causing me flatulence and can make my day real bad,, i really love to eat and to cook, and had found some recepies that are just simply great and i think its worth it.

I never had a problem with vegetables and legumes since childhood, i always ate quite everything...until it hit me what happened to the animals and some feeling of guilt made me avoid it. I Feel so bad often when i look around and people seem not to care.

Thank you for your insight on this subject.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unknownfromheaven wrote: Why do you think they do that ? What seems to be the motive and interest of others on what should we eat? Especially if something misleading was posted on a science source site.
Some of these articles are funded by the egg industry; they have a lobbying and advertising arm, and their main business is making commercials and sponsoring articles about eggs. If you look around the page, you may see a note about that.
I can't say if that's the case here, but that may be their motivation (it will usually say so somewhere, in small print, that it's sponsored by some company).

Other times, the content is unsponsored, and it's just coming from a writer who is anti-vegan, and who personally likes eggs.
When people feel uncomfortable, or challenged in what they are doing, cognitive dissonance can kick in and compel them to rationalize their behavior: That is, make up a bunch of excuses, and cherry pick things until they can convince others (and themselves) they're doing the right thing. It's a terrible tendency in human beings, and one of the worst elements of humanity.

Unknownfromheaven wrote: I have a problem with beans, even if i love them, its causing me flatulence and can make my day real bad,
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. In that case, your best option is probably tempeh. That is a cultured bean product. Because it has already been cultured, the culture has "eaten" all of the flatulence causing substances already.

Can you find tempeh there?

Another low-gas soy product is TVP, or TSP, which is textured vegetable/soy protein. You may benefit from trying that, but it might still cause a little gas if you are very sensitive.

There's also the option to take an enzyme which can break down the gas causing sugars before they cause gas. There are several brands available.
http://www.bean-zyme.com/ Bean-zyme has a vegan option
http://www.beanogas.com/prevent-gas/beano-meltaways/ The meltaways look vegan

Vegetables are the most healthy thing you can eat, so if it's possible to solve the gas problem and eat veggies, that's the best idea.
Unknownfromheaven

brimstoneSalad wrote: beans.
You were right, sorry for taking the issue to another thread.

I`ve noticed that my problem is not so persistent if i leave the beans in water for 24 hours...but that is a lot :lol:

My problem is mainly with vegetables, whatever i eat i cannot escape, and i am taking some pills for this problem..it is called - Trifelment.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

How much are eggs there, by weight? And how much are beans, by weight?
I'd bet if you compare the protein, you will find beans very affordable. :)

I'm glad you found some ways to reduce the gas. Actually you don't have to eat a lot of vegetables. You could mainly eat beans and grains, and just a little bit of vegetable each day.

Can you find blackstrap molasses or tahini there?
Unknownfromheaven

When i buy eggs, i buy in pack of 30. and i mostly eat them in two months.

When i said about 250 g of ,..i was reffering to brocolli, not beans...beans are not expensive :)) of course...but i cannot always eat just beans. You know..i have to combine and to create...my luck is that i enjoy gastronomy.

In fact i do not like grains so much..i am a vegetable guy..since childhood always loved it and when i was a meat eater my wife said that it could be easy for me to change my diet. I loveee parsley :))) and found out they reduce gas and i increased its quantities on everything. :)

I do not know what blackstrap molasses are...tahini i think i ve seen. why ?
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unknownfromheaven wrote: I do not know what blackstrap molasses are...tahini i think i ve seen. why ?
The main nutrient which you need from vegetables is calcium, which is lower in beans. These things are higher in calcium, so if you eat those, you could reduce the vegetables a little bit, and may help resolve the gas issues.

A little parsley is good. It has high amounts of Vitamin A, K, and Iron. But I wouldn't eat too much of it, since it is also considered medicinal, and it may have some effects if you eat many hundreds of grams each day (like water retention).

What other vegetable foods do you like there? Which beans do you like?
Unknownfromheaven

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Unknownfromheaven wrote: I do not know what blackstrap molasses are...tahini i think i ve seen. why ?
The main nutrient which you need from vegetables is calcium, which is lower in beans. These things are higher in calcium, so if you eat those, you could reduce the vegetables a little bit, and may help resolve the gas issues.

A little parsley is good. It has high amounts of Vitamin A, K, and Iron. But I wouldn't eat too much of it, since it is also considered medicinal, and it may have some effects if you eat many hundreds of grams each day (like water retention).

What other vegetable foods do you like there? Which beans do you like?
Any types of beans really, peas, potatoes, onion, garlic, zucchini, dill, and anything green (i love grass type or plant type except spinach, i don t know how to put it in english without sounding weird.

For calcium i drink milk and eat sesame seeds. ;) I know about parsley but i don`t know why i like it so much..maybe because its medicinal and i became an addict =))))
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unknownfromheaven wrote: Any types of beans really, peas, potatoes, onion, garlic, zucchini, dill, and anything green (i love grass type or plant type except spinach, i don t know how to put it in english without sounding weird.
That sounds good.
Unknownfromheaven wrote: For calcium i drink milk and eat sesame seeds. ;)
If you increase the sesame, I think it will be easier to cut the milk. You could even make a sesame milk by yourself, I think.
Do you have a blender?

In the case of small seeds, it is important to crush or blend them, because otherwise they won't be properly digested. The shell will protect them from the stomach acids.
Unknownfromheaven wrote: I know about parsley but i don`t know why i like it so much..maybe because its medicinal and i became an addict =))))
Well, it seems a really great vegetable, and maybe just dangerous if you're pregnant and eat too much of it.