I was wondering if

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Bobert24

I was wondering if

Post by Bobert24 »

Anybody could give me some advice on substitution ingredients for a fruit cake? Just got to try and replace milk, eggs, and butter.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: I was wondering if

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Did you try looking up a specific vegan fruit cake recipe? Although applesauce, mashed bananas, and flax-water-mixture* are common substitutes for eggs; I think it's best to look up specifically formulated recipes for a vegan version of whatever you're making.

*You can grind one Tbsp of flax seeds (like in a coffee grinder), and then mix it with 3 Tbsp of water. Doing so will produce a thick slimy substance with texture & consistency quite similar to that of an egg. I've done this before and it seems to be a good substitute for 1 egg.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Milk and butter are easy to replace: Soy milk, and coconut+vegetable oil (depending on the application), I'd just use vegetable oil in a fruitcake.

Eggs are more difficult, because it depends much more on the situation. You can try a commercial egg replacer, which is made for baking. Results may vary, though.

The best bet, as ArmouredAbolitionist said, is to find a pre-made vegan fruitcake recipe, and use that.

I found this, but I don't know if it's very good, or what you're looking for:
https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes/special-occasions/christmas-boozy-fruit-cake

Can you post the original recipe? That might help in finding a similar one.
bearbear287

Post by bearbear287 »

A good egg replacement is apple sauce, it may seem weird, but it works!
Bobert24

Post by Bobert24 »

Basic recipe , flour, almond powder, milk, eggs, sugar, sliced almonds, fruit, butter. Exact recipe is a problem because I make it by memory.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You should be able to just switch the milk for soy milk, the butter for vegetable oil (like canola), and leave out the eggs. Just make sure the moisture to solid is still in a good ratio (good consistency batter). It sounds like a heavy/dense cake, so the eggs probably don't do very much anyway.
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

I have heard aquafaba aka chickpea brine is also a pretty good egg replacer and you can make a lot of stuff with it.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox