Vegan Runner Tips?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Vegan Runner Tips?

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

I already follow No Meat Athlete, but I am curious if anyone here would have any tips when it comes to running as a vegan? I know I will probably start off walking, but are there any good tips? Food choices? Increases in protein? Etc?

I am sure @BrimstoneSalad will have some good advice. :)
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Vegan Runner Tips?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote: I am sure @BrimstoneSalad will have some good advice. :)
I'm afraid that I kind of hate running as exercise, since I see it as more dangerous than the benefit it provides, both physically in terms of joints and the dangers of the road/falling/being hit by a car, and in terms of metabolic damage from eating and burning too many calories (burning the candle at both ends). People can get addicted to running and seriously overdo it.
I favor power walking (moderate activity), and swimming and calisthenics to build strength.

I see it as more important to be anti-sitting than pro-running.

In terms of diet, I would say to avoid what some runners do, which is just increasing calories without increasing nutrition.
Runners have a tendency to eat junky food like bananas, sugar, vegetable oil, to get more calories; It's better to eat more well rounded food, so nutrient consumption goes up proportionally. We don't absorb everything we eat, and when you eat a bunch of junk for calories, it can potentially diminish the value you get from other foods in your diet (eating junk as a separate meal can help ameliorate this, though).
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Vegan Runner Tips?

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

brimstoneSalad wrote: I'm afraid that I kind of hate running as exercise, since I see it as more dangerous than the benefit it provides, both physically in terms of joints and the dangers of the road/falling/being hit by a car, and in terms of metabolic damage from eating and burning too many calories (burning the candle at both ends). People can get addicted to running and seriously overdo it.
I favor power walking (moderate activity), and swimming and calisthenics to build strength.

I see it as more important to be anti-sitting than pro-running.

In terms of diet, I would say to avoid what some runners do, which is just increasing calories without increasing nutrition.
Runners have a tendency to eat junky food like bananas, sugar, vegetable oil, to get more calories; It's better to eat more well rounded food, so nutrient consumption goes up proportionally. We don't absorb everything we eat, and when you eat a bunch of junk for calories, it can potentially diminish the value you get from other foods in your diet (eating junk as a separate meal can help ameliorate this, though).
I can definitely see that, I still want to do some running though. And I don't eat a lot of junk anymore, so that should not be much of an issue. I quite enjoy eating nutrient-dense foods.

Sitting IS something I do too much of, however. :?
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/