Times When You've Accidentally Eaten Animal Products

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Times When You've Accidentally Eaten Animal Products

Post by EquALLity »

Yesterday, I was at a club after school, and it looked like there was a vegan snack (some fennel seed thing). The ingredients all were vegan. There were a few odd things, though.

First, the first ingredient was 'flour'. It didn't say 'white flour', or 'whole wheat flour', or anything like that. Also, the ingredients were listed in around six different languages, with flags of the countries with those languages, and the packaging wasn't very detailed. But I still thought it was reasonable to think they were vegan, so I started eating them.

And as I was eating them, I was just looking at the package, checking for a Kosher label or something, just to be safe. There was nothing on there that I recognized as a Kosher label, and that was pretty odd. There was something that looked like some kind of symbol on there, but I can't find it when I google search for Kosher labels. Anyway, as I was looking over the package, I thought to check for cholesterol. Obviously, if there's cholesterol, the food has animal products. And then I saw that there were 15mg of cholesterol. o_O
So I was just like, "'Scuse me, gotta go to the bathroom."
*rinses out mouth in bathroom*

Because all I could think of was that they were baked with lard. O_O
Oh, ew. That is so disgusting. But what else could it be?

That actually crossed my mind in the beginning, but I was like, "Oh come on, what are the odds?!"

I searched for 'fennel pretzels baked with lard', and there was some stuff about 'tarallis' (apparently often made with lard), and they kind of look like those. So I guess it was probably lard. >.<

Well, anyway, I've accidentally eaten animal products a couple times since going vegan, and I'm curious about the experiences of you guys with that.

How did it happen?
How did you react?
Did you realize the food you were eating wasn't vegan while you were eating it?
How did you find out the food wasn't vegan?
Were you skeptical about the food in the beginning, or was it a total shock that it wasn't vegan?
Did the food give you a stomach ache?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
bearbear287

Re: Times When You've Accidentally Eaten Animal Products

Post by bearbear287 »

A couple of weeks ago my dad had bought some gummy multi-vitamins, and of course they have gelatin in them... I had just put one in my mouth and I instantly remembered about gelatin and freaked out. I spit it out, and rinsed out my mouth, I was pretty upset about it, because it was totally my fault for being so oblivious to the fact that they had gelatin in them. :)
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Quite often there is some milk or egg protein in my food. It doesn't bother me much, but if it tastes a lot like meat or milk or butter it might make me feel sick.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
inator

Post by inator »

I asked for a soy latte in a coffee shop a while back. When I took the first sip, i thought something tasted funny. Maybe they had changed their usual soy milk, maybe it's gone bad? Then i took another sip and realized it was cow's milk. I got a mild indigestion after that, though i had barely swallowed any (probably because I was so disgusted). But I've been eyeballing the barristas whenever they prepare my coffee ever since.... some of them are probably scared of me. And they should be... :)
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

While I've gotten a lot better at finding ingredients I don't want to consume, a little bit of honey, palm oil, and coconut oil sometimes slip in!

Cringeworthy Story:
One day, I accidentally took my brother's lunch to school with me instead of mine. At lunch time I started to eat the sandwhich and was shocked that it didn't taste like cheese* and instead tasted like meat! I was disgusted and immediately spit it out onto the grass in front of me. Being an exceptionally rational human, I then proceeded to consume grass from a nearby area to get the taste out of my mouth. I then spit that out and threw away the meat and grass I spit onto the ground.
*I was a vegetarian at the time
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:While I've gotten a lot better at finding ingredients I don't want to consume, a little bit of honey, palm oil, and coconut oil sometimes slip in!
I wouldn't worry too much about a little coconut oil. Just check the total fat, to make sure there's not a lot of saturated fat in it.

In terms of environmental sustainability, coconut can grow better in sandy and even slightly salty soils, and seems to cover a slightly larger range, so it may not be as bad (I've had difficulty confirming this, but given the uncertainty I would call it a much lesser evil, and one that may not be worth avoiding too meticulously).
Mateo3112
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Mateo3112 »

It hasn't happened to me, although my parents did force me to eat fish my first days as a vegeterian because they said i couldn't stop eating meat all of a sudden.
However, they stopped doing so a long time ago and i haven't eaten animal products since (Well, except for eggs, milk and stuff like that, cause i'm a vegeterian, not a vegan).
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure" -George Carlin
atheistarfroot

Post by atheistarfroot »

Just last night came home from a night out and stopped at Taco Bell - subbed beans for beef, checked "fresco style" which is (supposed) to replace sour cream and cheese with pico, and I added potatoes and guac to lots of things. I used their app to order to make it easier for the employees to understand that I didn't want any meat or dairy.

Yea that didn't work lol Took one bite of a crunchwrap supreme and instantly sour cream. Checked everything else and they were all wrong. I was very disappointed cuz I was very hungry :P Plus it sucks to waste money and food..

Tbh I feel like I should've known better than to even try Taco Bell and I was skeptical of everything turning out right.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

atheistarfroot wrote:Just last night came home from a night out and stopped at Taco Bell - subbed beans for beef, checked "fresco style" which is (supposed) to replace sour cream and cheese with pico, and I added potatoes and guac to lots of things. I used their app to order to make it easier for the employees to understand that I didn't want any meat or dairy.

Yea that didn't work lol Took one bite of a crunchwrap supreme and instantly sour cream. Checked everything else and they were all wrong. I was very disappointed cuz I was very hungry :P Plus it sucks to waste money and food..

Tbh I feel like I should've known better than to even try Taco Bell and I was skeptical of everything turning out right.
That reminds me of one time when I ordered a vegan wrap and it had cheese.
I didn't actually even know what it was at first when I saw it; I thought it was tofu or something. :lol:
But my dad tasted it and determined it was mozzarella cheese.

You'd think that people who make food at restaurants would know that beans aren't beef, and that cheese isn't vegan...
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

Happens to me sometimes. Nothing to freak out about.
I just write a report in my head (not really :P) and won't do it next time.
Done