Leather, shoes, quivers and bows.

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Corelich
Diet: Vegetarian

Leather, shoes, quivers and bows.

Post by Corelich »

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea if there is a source for traditional bows and quivers with synthetic leather instead of the real thing?
To my shame I have to admit I bought a new bow because my old one 'died' because of wear & tear and sadly it has leather on it.
Should have thought about this before I made this impulse purchase while on vacation.

And while we are at it: can anyone recommand a good shoe company that makes sturdy shoes without leather?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Leather, shoes, quivers and bows.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm afraid many "quality" items are made with leather, because people associate leather with quality.
But this all comes down to the material, and consumer perception.

So ask: What other materials do people associate with quality and durability?

Kevlar, for example. If you search "kevlar shoes", you should find a lot of vegan shoes, vegan by virtue of being made from kevlar, which are also top shelf because of both the material and the workmanship that went into them.

Compound bows are often made with carbon fiber, PE and silicone, as advanced space age materials. For traditional bows, I'm afraid I don't know, since they aren't necessarily designed with the same goals in mind, but you may have luck searching for one made from carbon fiber, since it will more likely use modern materials all around.

This, for example, may be leather free: http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Grizzly ... 58C73.aspx