Becoming vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
loboris
Diet: Meat-Eater

Becoming vegan

Post by loboris »

Hello mister "vegan atheist "
So I'm a Atheist and I'm trying to become a vegan because of your videos . I tried vegetarianism for 6 months and I didn't succeed because I was sick all alone . But I do believe that veganism is the true moral high ground and I want to try again from a 3 month break by eating fish twice a week . I live in Cambrai , a small town in France and moving to Lille . Any suggestion of recipes ( quick would be better ) ? And what is better : raw or not raw ?
Ps : can you share how did you become a vegan , just a curiosity .
Boris
Philosophical Vegan

Re: Becoming vegan

Post by Philosophical Vegan »

Hi Boris,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you've decided to go vegan.

I hope you don't mind, I split your note into a new thread and moved it to the vegan support section.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hello Loboris, awesome you're going vegan; it's a great choice.

We'll help you in any way we can.

As to raw or not raw: A mix. Cooked food is more convenient, and easier to eat more of to maintain energy levels, but fresh foods are great too, either to mix it up and provide variety, or to provide an assortment of vitamins.

I eat legumes well cooked, fruit almost always raw, grains cooked a little bit, and vegetables might be cooked or raw, depending on the recipe.

All raw diets are unfortunately not usually nutritionally sustainable. But a vegan diet of a mix of cooked and raw food is totally healthy and sustainable.

I don't recommend eating any fish, since fish is an animal (of course), and also because it's not nutritionally necessary.

The best source of protein is a mix of whole grains, legumes, seeds, nuts, and vegetables.
Fruit doesn't have much protein in it, but it's good for certain vitamins.

Lille is a big enough city that you'll be able to find lots of great vegan produts- and even meet up with fellow vegans in the area for advice.

The best vegetable for both protein and vitamins and minerals you'll find locally is Chard leaves.
You can steam them or boil them in a soup for about 30 minutes until they're tender.
Eating greens with salt and lemon juice is the best way to have them, I think.

Aside from greens, root vegetables, tomatoes, and other culinary vegetables are great to mix and experiment with.

Soak lentils or other legumes over night, then boil for about an hour- that will provide a great and convenient source of nutrition.

Add to that some whole grain bread or pasta, and some fruit, and you have the basis of a simple yet well rounded diet.

You'll find recipes you like over time, and your options will just expand from there.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Post by thebestofenergy »

Welcome Boris :)
The cravings usually stop after the first few months, and after that it should be sailing smooth, especially when you'll find dishes that you like.
To help you make the transition to veganism, you can try out the various types of fake meat (vegan products that are similar to meat and have a similar taste) and 8 different types of vegan milk, described here http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/milk ... tutes.html.
Try to avoid junk food, and remember that if you have the time to cook, vegetables and seeds usually cost dirt cheap.
For a good amount of recipes, I suggest buying a book or just looking on Google (sites like http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday- ... ian/vegan/ or http://www.101cookbooks.com/vegan_recipes/ are certainly helpful).
Feel free to ask anything.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.