Can't stop thinking about meat, I'm going crazy >_<

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Diet: Vegan

Can't stop thinking about meat, I'm going crazy >_<

Post by 2048 »

Hi,
So I've just been vegan for some days now and I have a problem. I can't stop thinking about meat. It's like I'm thinking about how I could go and buy a burger but then I think about how the animals where killed and then I get disgusted by it, but then I crave meat again and it goes around and around. The same thing foes for milk, I think about buying chocolate (I haven't found vegan chocolate yett) but then I think about how the cows are treated and then I don't feel like I want to eat it but I still crave it. See my problem here?! Does anybody know how I can stop it because I'm going slowly going crazy >_< I thought the change would be easy
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Can't stop thinking about meat, I'm going crazy >_<

Post by EquALLity »

Glad to hear you're vegan! :D

Get fake meat (make sure it's not just vegetarian)! Or eat something else (that's healthy) until you are full.

You should be able to find vegan chocolate in the grocery store. There are those dark chocolate bars. There's also vegan chocolate 'milk', like almond-milk.

You can even make really good vegan chocolate pudding with three ingredients!: https://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=613&p=6796&hilit=pudding#p6796
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx

Post by 2048 »

EquALLity wrote:Glad to hear you're vegan! :D

Get fake meat (make sure it's not just vegetarian)! Or eat something else (that's healthy) until you are full.

You should be able to find vegan chocolate in the grocery store. There are those dark chocolate bars. There's also vegan chocolate 'milk', like almond-milk.

You can even make really good vegan chocolate pudding with three ingredients!: https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... ding#p6796
Thank you! ^^
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The first few days are the worst.

A EquALLity said, some fake meat will help. It's like a cigarette patch.

Remember, cravings only last a few minutes. I know they seem to last hours, but just distract yourself with something, and before you know it the craving will be gone. Of course it will come back later, but you'll get good at ignoring them, and they'll be fewer and fewer over time.

After a few weeks, you won't crave much anymore. You'll have a few days once you think they're gone that they'll come back bad, but get past those and then they'll be gone (it's the same with smoking). After a few years, meat will probably smell and look gross, and you won't want it (this is the case for many people).

Keep some yummy snacks on hand, like nuts and dried fruit. Something high calorie that will fill you up. So when you're craving, you can distract yourself with that.

Most really dark chocolate is vegan. Do you like dark chocolate?
Also, check the baking aisle. Dark baking chocolate is cheaper and usually vegan.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

2048 wrote:Hi,
So I've just been vegan for some days now and I have a problem. I can't stop thinking about meat. It's like I'm thinking about how I could go and buy a burger but then I think about how the animals where killed and then I get disgusted by it, but then I crave meat again and it goes around and around. The same thing foes for milk, I think about buying chocolate (I haven't found vegan chocolate yett) but then I think about how the cows are treated and then I don't feel like I want to eat it but I still crave it. See my problem here?! Does anybody know how I can stop it because I'm going slowly going crazy >_< I thought the change would be easy
You went Vegan cold turkey (pun), didn't you? While I am glad that others are becoming vegan (I am a lacto-vegetarian myself), just stopping eating meat and everything is can be as hard for some as simply quitting smoking. I went almost full cold turkey. I started vegetarianism in April, but it wasn't until May that I stopped eating meat/chicken/etc altogether. Granted I tried the pescaterian thing for a week, but it didn't seem to work for me, so I am back to lacto-vegetarianism. I can get rid of milk because soy and cashew milk exist, but the main issue I have is with cheese. albeit I am reducing my intake of it.

I had a vegan friend who told me that I should have eased more into it, and said it should go:

>No meat
>No chicken/fish
>No meat or chicken byproducts
>No eggs/honey
>No milk
>No animal byproducts

But hey, if you can go Vegan all at once, go for it. It will definitely be hard, because when I went vegetarian, it took a pretty bad toll on my digestive system for about 2 months before I finally got accustomed to eating so much more fiber and nutrients than my old diet. Definitely worth it though, cause I lost 40 pounds in 6.5 months and still losing, I also feel better, so keep up the veganism, it is much healthier than meat.