Foods and things I need to avoid

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Diet: Vegan

Foods and things I need to avoid

Post by 2048 »

Hi,
So I'm becoming a vegan since one person on the forum convinced me ^^
And I would like to ask some things if it's okay
-What are things I need to avoid that I wouldn't think would contain animal products. I already know that most candy have gelatin in it and that I can't eat chocolate and such thing.
-What do you eat when you want to eat something sweet?
-When you are with family and they make something like soup with chicken, do you still take from the soup and just don't eat the chicken or do you avoid eating it at all?
-As a person who studies allot I don't always have the time to eat all meals, and as a vegan that can mean that I don't get all the nutrition I need due to that I don't plan my meals, do you have any tips on how I can get everything I need without having to cook for every meal?
-Why are you against honey (if you are), I mean you don't really hurt them and it's not like you're killing them or stopping them form doing their job in nature.
-And lastly I am pro science and think that we should be able to experiment on animals like rats since they give us allot of understanding about life and it takes us one step further to understand humans. But what is the vegan stand on this?

Thank you for answering ^^
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Foods and things I need to avoid

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi 2048, that's greeat!

I'm glad to help.
2048 wrote: -What are things I need to avoid that I wouldn't think would contain animal products. I already know that most candy have gelatin in it and that I can't eat chocolate and such thing.
Mainly things that are obviously meat, dairy, or eggs, or list them clearly as main ingredients.
I disagree with PETA on a number of things, but I agree with this:
http://www.peta.org/living/food/making- ... ucts-food/
In other words, it's the 99.9% that's important.

There are a lot of things that *might* come from animals, mainly because animal by products are very cheap since they're being gotten rid of (the primary products of meat, dairy, and eggs are the most expensive, other things are mainly "waste"), and a lot of companies make chemicals out of them to add to stuff.

If you want to read detailed ingredients lists, that's cool too, but it's a small thing and it's not essential. I wouldn't say careful ingredient readers are really much better than those who don't and just skim and ignore the chemical lists.

2048 wrote:-What do you eat when you want to eat something sweet?
Berries are your best bet, nutritionally.
Also, things made with artificial sweeteners are pretty good.

There's a lot of pseudoscience and fear mongering floating around about artificial sweeteners, but they're actually pretty safe, and more healthy than empty calories in sugar.

Do you like to bake?
2048 wrote:-When you are with family and they make something like soup with chicken, do you still take from the soup and just don't eat the chicken or do you avoid eating it at all?
I wouldn't take that. Wasting is the same as eating if you're picking it out.

Some people will pick the meat out of things and give it to another person at the table to eat. This situation is more complicated, and we'd have to ask if the person you gave the meat to would eat less meat later because he or she ate more meat then. It's quite possible.

Personally, I'd just suggest avoiding it, and bringing some vegan dishes to share with everybody. :)
2048 wrote:-As a person who studies allot I don't always have the time to eat all meals, and as a vegan that can mean that I don't get all the nutrition I need due to that I don't plan my meals, do you have any tips on how I can get everything I need without having to cook for every meal?
You can make a sort of "trail mix", of things like nuts, pretzels, and freeze dried blueberries.
It depends on what you like, but that can be pretty convenient, and requires no cooking. It is a bit more expensive than cooking, though.

What's your daily food budget? I'll help you figure out something good and quick.
2048 wrote:-Why are you against honey (if you are), I mean you don't really hurt them and it's not like you're killing them or stopping them form doing their job in nature.
Colony Collapse Disorder.
It may be partially caused by over-harvesting of honey.

I suggest avoiding it until there's more evidence, and we find a way to stop CCD. But if there's just a little bit of honey in something, don't worry about it. I just wouldn't suggest adding it to anything, or buying something that's advertised as honey if there are other options.

Honey is also not nutritious. It's the slightly worse than corn syrup. There's a lot of propaganda about honey being healthy; that's all bullshit. It's sugar syrup contaminated with bacteria (it's actually dangerous for babies and the immunocompromised).
It's best to eat fruit instead. :)

Most people who eat honey do so because they have been convinced of its supposed health benefits by pseudoscience.
2048 wrote:-And lastly I am pro science and think that we should be able to experiment on animals like rats since they give us allot of understanding about life and it takes us one step further to understand humans. But what is the vegan stand on this?
Various vegans disagree about this.

Generally, everybody agrees that animal testing should not be done on cosmetics. That's just cruel and useless, even most non-vegans agree on this.

Beyond that, some vegans support testing to make new life saving drugs, some do not.
Most of us here are more neutral on animal testing to save lives. There's a trade-off there. Harm to animals, but possibly saving human lives. You can't blame people or condemn them for saving their lives.

It's like the shipwreck situation, where you're stranded on a deserted island with one other person, and are starving -- of course you're going to eat your friend, and nobody will blame you for that. In extreme life threatening situations, we revert to self preservation. And testing on animals for live saving drugs can be seen as just that.

Meat is exactly the opposite of self preservation in the first world, since it's totally unnecessary and actually harms us and our environment (upon which we rely).

Re: Foods and things I need to avoid

Post by 2048 »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Hi 2048, that's greeat! I'm glad to help. What's your daily food budget? I'll help you figure out something good and quick.
Thank you for your help! I live at home with my meat loving parents and I don't have an income since I'm 16 . So I'll almost never be able to eat home cooked food which is my main problem. ^^ But I was thinking about following like vegan cooking youtubers to see how what they can do