Are "Cage-Free" eggs really more humane?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Are "Cage-Free" eggs really more humane?

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

I often hear numberous fast food places, such as Panera, Taco Bell, Burger King, Mcdonalds, and the like, claim that they are going to go "cage-free" because of consumer request for more humane food products. I don't think cage-free is very humane at all. The chickens beaks are still cut off, the males are still killed at birth, and chickens are still placed in a cramped environment with like, 1000 other chickens in a small room. Am I wrong for not seeing how "cage-free" is more humane? Am i just overthinking this?
Insert name here

Re: Are "Cage-Free" eggs really more humane?

Post by Insert name here »

I would say that it is still inhumane, but you could make an argument fo levels of how inhumane something is. I guess that would be the reasoning behind it. And no, I don't think that you are over thinking this.
Insert signature here.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cage free eggs are by no means humane, certainly, they're horrendous.

I would only say caged eggs are even more profoundly cruel. Ever take a long bus or plane ride, and have to sit in the same spot all day? Your body screams to move, and it's one of the most unpleasant sensations you can have without being openly tortured. It's very difficult to imagine the misery of immobility unless you've experienced it. Even a crowd is preferable.

So, this is at least a step in the right direction, I suppose.

It's hard to use the words "more humane", since that implies there's anything humane about it at all. I don't like the way that sounds, and it might mislead people. It's like saying one concentration camp or another was more humane, because it didn't have a reputation for being quite as cruel, or didn't kill quite as many people. "Slightly less inhumane" but still horrible, is probably a better way to put it.
garrethdsouza
Diet: Vegan

Post by garrethdsouza »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OVxh3ZFSslg

Bite size vegan did a good job on this imo
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox