Family Discussions about Veganism

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
HyperSquirrel
Diet: Meat-Eater

Family Discussions about Veganism

Post by HyperSquirrel »

So, whenever the term "veganism" is brought up in conversation (and I find it being used more often by my misinformed brothers than by myself) it often leads to little "debates" and by debates, I mean my 2 brothers ganging up on me to try and silence any remotely rational point that I try to make. Anyway, they keep going on about protein and that "the protein needed for growth can only be found in animal products!" And "Veganism is too expensive!!111" and that children won't grow properly if you feed them vegan diets; even though I have informed them that vegan diets are perfectly suitable for kids, but they just won't listen. Also, I have no f***ing idea as to where my parents stand regarding vegan diets. 1 day it's, " Matthew, we got you some soy milk from the shop and I picked up some flaxseeds and soybeans" and the next it's "Our roof our rules! No vegan diets as long as you live in this house." Honestly, I think there's no hope, in regards to trying to convince them that vegan diets are healthier and more ethical, let alone vegetarian diets. Is there any way you guys think I could convince them?
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Family Discussions about Veganism

Post by Red »

I feel ya' man. My family has adjusted to my vegan diet, however, my grandfather disagrees. And I love my grandfather, but we don't really see eye to eye on this situation. He claims that God put animals here for humans to consume, and that animals are there to be of use to humans. Now, I'm an atheist, so I just agreed to what he was saying, because the day I tell him I'm an atheist will be the day when I put the trigger to a shotgun on my toe and end it all for good. I mean, he's fine with my veganism, but he does get worried about me, which I do fully appreciate, and he says it's ok if I want to choose this lifestyle. He is extremely understanding, and that's kinda why I love 'em, even though we disagree on many many levels.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Yeah, that sounds really irritating.

Maybe just don't talk about it with your brothers? They sound really stubborn. I get the sense that they know their 'excuses' for eating animals are invalid, but they're just in denial, since you're refuting their claims but they won't concede anything. And didn't you mention on another topic that one of your brothers says he loves animals?

Maybe just let them see you be healthy as you become more and more vegan and try to make it work with them? Maybe it'll ease with time, and with you being healthy as a vegan etc..

That's confusing with your parents. :shock:
Maybe ask them exactly why they are against you going vegan when they are calm? Not when they're yelling, "My house, my rules!", though. I don't think they're in a very rational mood when they say things like that. :P
RedAppleGP wrote:I feel ya' man. My family has adjusted to my vegan diet, however, my grandfather disagrees. And I love my grandfather, but we don't really see eye to eye on this situation. He claims that God put animals here for humans to consume, and that animals are there to be of use to humans. Now, I'm an atheist, so I just agreed to what he was saying, because the day I tell him I'm an atheist will be the day when I put the trigger to a shotgun on my toe and end it all for good. I mean, he's fine with my veganism, but he does get worried about me, which I do fully appreciate, and he says it's ok if I want to choose this lifestyle. He is extremely understanding, and that's kinda why I love 'em, even though we disagree on many many levels.
Haha, you should see me with my dad's mom...

I have one grandmother who's really great, and another who went on a crazy rant about how I need to watch 9/11 videos, because those damn Muslims, and apparently I was siding with Iran by supporting the nuclear deal (Iran obviously caused 9/11).
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
HyperSquirrel

Post by HyperSquirrel »

Thanks for the replies. My mum does pick up the odd vegetarian dinner (pasta/spaghetti with vegetable sauce, or if I'm lucky; vegan brown pasta) and whenever they say "our roof our rules," they're not even that angry. I think they use it as a "legitimate" way to refute my points. There's no real way, I think, that I could convince them to get vegan/vegetarian dinners consistently so I have to just put in special requests with my mum to pick up more veggies and vegetarian dinners options but I couldn't make vegetarian dinners a consistent routine. But yeah, my only real way of actually becoming a vegan is waiting 3-5 years until I move out, becoming vegetarian and slowly adjusting to veganism. Thanks for the help.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

How are things going now? Any improvement?
HyperSquirrel wrote:Is there any way you guys think I could convince them?
If they are set on not believing it, like religion, there's not much to be done but slowly working at it, unless you're willing to take a stand and just refuse to eat meat (then you have to worry about if child services will protect you from abuse if they hit you) -- it's how it happens with a lot of young people. If you refused to eat meat, eventually they'd buy you vegan protein sources and B-12 rather than let you starve, unless they choose to beat or starve you instead (it depends on what kind of parents you have, and how abusive they are).

Otherwise, just keep quoting government and NGO authority, like this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.
And a similar joint statement here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12778049
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Approximately 2.5% of adults in the United States and 4% of adults in Canada follow vegetarian diets. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat, fish, or fowl. Interest in vegetarianism appears to be increasing, with many restaurants and college foodservices offering vegetarian meals routinely. Substantial growth in sales of foods attractive to vegetarians has occurred, and these foods appear in many supermarkets. This position paper reviews the current scientific data related to key nutrients for vegetarians, including protein, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, vitamin B-12, vitamin A, n-3 fatty acids, and iodine. A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in meeting recommendations for individual nutrients. Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence. Vegetarian diets offer a number of nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer. Although a number of federally funded and institutional feeding programs can accommodate vegetarians, few have foods suitable for vegans at this time. Because of the variability of dietary practices among vegetarians, individual assessment of dietary intakes of vegetarians is required. Dietetics professionals have a responsibility to support and encourage those who express an interest in consuming a vegetarian diet. They can play key roles in educating vegetarian clients about food sources of specific nutrients, food purchase and preparation, and any dietary modifications that may be necessary to meet individual needs. Menu planning for vegetarians can be simplified by use of a food guide that specifies food groups and serving sizes.
If they don't accept scientific consensus on nutrition, try to find out why. It may come down to religious dogma.
HyperSquirrel

Post by HyperSquirrel »

Thanks for the continued concern :) I should probably clarify that my parents are by no means abusive in any way. It was just my immature brothers whe were making fun of me. It's going well so far. My mum seems to have stopped buying a lot of meat products for me and I actually can't remember the last time I ate meat. My dad is also more than happy to cook up meat substitutes for me. I'm hoping to reason with them and calmly convince them, rather than take a stand that could end in conflict. It's mainly my older brother who is very closed-minded about veganism, everyone else seems to at least be calmly understanding of it. Hopefully, I'll be at least a vegetarian by then end of the year and, considering the way things are going it shouldn't be too difficult.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

HyperSquirrel wrote:Thanks for the continued concern :) I should probably clarify that my parents are by no means abusive in any way. It was just my immature brothers whe were making fun of me. It's going well so far. My mum seems to have stopped buying a lot of meat products for me and I actually can't remember the last time I ate meat. My dad is also more than happy to cook up meat substitutes for me. I'm hoping to reason with them and calmly convince them, rather than take a stand that could end in conflict. It's mainly my older brother who is very closed-minded about veganism, everyone else seems to at least be calmly understanding of it. Hopefully, I'll be at least a vegetarian by then end of the year and, considering the way things are going it shouldn't be too difficult.
Wow, it sounds like it's a lot better then. Glad to hear that! :)

How are you managing as a (pretty much) vegetarian so far?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Great news! I'm glad to hear things are going well for you and your parents are coming around.

Maybe your brother is so hostile because he feels guilty about eating animals?
Minos
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by Minos »

HyperSquirrel wrote:So, whenever the term "veganism" is brought up in conversation (and I find it being used more often by my misinformed brothers than by myself) it often leads to little "debates" and by debates, I mean my 2 brothers ganging up on me to try and silence any remotely rational point that I try to make.
If they are not willing to listen and reason, there is no way for you to convince them of anything. This debates must be very exhausting for you...

I have same situation with my colleagues at work, and I choose strategy of being calm, do not get into heated discussions and stating facts in hope, that slowly over time they remember some of these facts and maybe start thinking about them. Maybe it's not best strategy, but it's best i know.
HyperSquirrel

Post by HyperSquirrel »

Things are going great so far, EquALLity. It's nice knowing that I can sit down to a meal and be pretty much certain that I won't be having meat. I think I'll start doing food shops with my mum and just pick up whatever vegan foods I can find, so that I know that I'll have consistent vegan meals. I'll see if I can grab some raw ingredients as well (instead of just prepared food) and do some vegan cooking with my dad. Although, I do have a few more exams to complete before I can worry about vegan recipes. My older brother is moving out soon and he was the most closed-minded about veganism in the family so, in terms of having vegan related conversations .... maybe it will be a good thing? I don't know, but I guess I'll find out in a few months.