Vegan Friendly and Non Vegan Friendly Cities

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Vegan Friendly and Non Vegan Friendly Cities

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Traveling across the globe, I'm sure a lot of us have experienced some pleasant surprises where the city or community we have come to is vegan friendly. What I mean by this is that you had many options to choose from, and people did not look at you with utter confusion.
Id love to hear about your experiences and which country/city/community you found it easy OR difficult to be a vegan.

I live in Toronto Canada, I do not find it difficult in the slightest being vegan here. There are tons of options, and while you can get some attitude, it comes vary infrequent from the general public (family is another matter).
Ive been to Montreal, and I would say there was a noticeable difference there. I was able to find vegan foods, but the options are at least 1/3 if not 1/4th that of Toronto.

Ive also traveled to smaller communities in Canada, and there you really need to go to the local grocery and make your food, as the word "tofu" is unheard of, let alone seitan, tempeh, etc. In these smaller communities they don't even know what "vegan" is.

Abroad, I've been to up state NY, and options were similar to rural Canada. Ive been down south on Vacation, and typically Cuba had the least vegan friendly options of the countries Ive visited.
I visited India a few years ago, and had no problems finding vegan food. It was super easy and people were very friendly.

Ive been to Europe as a child, not as a vegan, so i don't have any relevant experience there.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Humane Hominid

Re: Vegan Friendly and Non Vegan Friendly Cities

Post by Humane Hominid »

I live in Los Angeles, CA, which is VERY vegan friendly.
Eat kind, be strong.
Neptual

Re: Vegan Friendly and Non Vegan Friendly Cities

Post by Neptual »

There are quite a few vegan restaurants in Manhattan New York. But they are pretty expensive. One of my favorite vegan restaurants is in Brooklyn. The place is called Wild Ginger. It's a really inexpensive cafe and I go there often.
She's beautiful...