Stupid Things Vegans Say

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Stupid Things Vegans Say

Post by Lightningman_42 »

So I was thinking that since there are already the discussion threads "Stupid Things Omnivores Say" and "Stupid Things Theists Say", that it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to stupid comments made by vegans. After all not everything said by vegans is truthful, rational, or helpful for promoting veganism. The vegan-movement ought to be scrutinized and criticized, so I'd like to have a discussion thread where we can put comments made by vegans that are stupid.

So I'm going to start with a comment by...

...{sigh}...

...yes, you guessed it, Gary Francione (the god of deontological veganism, who is immune to criticism and shuns contrary opinions).

On October 20 at 1:48 PM he made a post on Facebook. Someone commented that:
My sister and niece attended vegfest and my sister thought it would have been good if I could have listened to Melanie Joy!
To which he replied:
[b]Gary Francione[/b] wrote:You should disown your sister for wishing that on you.
I don't know if this was a bad joke or if he meant this seriously.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
knot
Master in Training

Re: Stupid Things Vegans Say

Post by knot »

"Refined sugar is healthy"
-Durianrider
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

"Use a healthy, natural oil, for example coconut oil"
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

"Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live"

~Freelee The Banana Girl~

"I wanted to record my grandfathers heart attack and use it as evidence for veganism"

~Paraphrase of Vegan Gains~

"You stupid udder-sucker!!"

~Clever comeback by a vegan who wanted to use personal attacks instead of evidence~

many vegans are nice and wonderful, I just wish they were as vocal as these nuts...
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:
Freelee The Banana Girl wrote:Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live
Did Freelee actually say this? Since there was so much outrage about one of her videos I decided to watch it and discover what she actually said. If I remember correctly she spoke about nonvegans who are well-informed about the arguments (ethical, environmental, and health) in favor of veganism. With regards to these particular nonvegans she said "I don't know if they even deserve to live." This is quite different from what you are claiming she said.

Am I correct about what she said? I don't know which particular video of hers it was anymore so I don't think that I could find it. I'm not a fan of her and haven't seen most of her videos, except for this one most controversial video.

"Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live" sounds like an unlikely comment for a vegan to say, since most vegans are more forgiving of genuine ignorance, than they are of willful ignorance & selfish indifference.

Please note that I'm in no way a fan of Freelee, and I don't have a vested interest in defending her. Rather, I simply thought that what most people claim that Freelee said is different than what she actually said. I dislike it when people feel a need to distort and exaggerate already-sufficiently-offensive comments, considering that the actual comment is probably already worthy of negative criticism.

Vegan Gains wrote:I wanted to record my grandfather's heart attack and use it as evidence for veganism
Are you saying that this particular comment is stupid, or that what he actually did (filming grampa's heart-attack) is a bad thing? I agree with many of the common criticisms of Vegan Gains, such as those regarding his outrageous claims about women in his first vasectomy-video, and the foolishness of his choice to make death threats.

However, I'm rather puzzled by the "ethical" arguments that he should not have filmed his grampa's heart-attack. Why is this such a terrible thing to do? It seems to me like most people would answer this question with, "It's disrespectful", "It's just wrong", "It's sociopathic", etc. Essentially just restating that it's wrong, in reply to a question about why it's wrong, rather than explaining why it's wrong. Are there any rational arguments against VG filming his grampa's heart-attack, that don't involve circular reasoning or appeal to emotion?
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:Clever comeback by a vegan who wanted to use personal attacks instead of evidence:
Some vegan wrote:You stupid udder-sucker!!
I think it's obvious to most people who promote any social justice movement(s) that using ad-hominems against the opposition is an ineffective tactic. Vegans ought to provide rational explanations of why nonvegans' actions towards animals are unethical, without criticizing their character.

One can definitely explain why it's unethical to deny blacks/homosexuals the same respect & legal rights as whites/heterosexuals, without condemning the character of racists/homophobes (which would make them defensive and outraged). Same thing with the vegan movement.

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:Many vegans are nice and wonderful. I just wish they were as vocal as these nuts...
Unfortunately the "nuts" get far more attention than the calm/rational/polite vegans...
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:
Freelee The Banana Girl wrote:Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live
Did Freelee actually say this? Since there was so much outrage about one of her videos I decided to watch it and discover what she actually said. If I remember correctly she spoke about nonvegans who are well-informed about the arguments (ethical, environmental, and health) in favor of veganism. With regards to these particular nonvegans she said "I don't know if they even deserve to live." This is quite different from what you are claiming she said.

Am I correct about what she said? I don't know which particular video of hers it was anymore so I don't think that I could find it. I'm not a fan of her and haven't seen most of her videos, except for this one most controversial video.

"Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live" sounds like an unlikely comment for a vegan to say, since most vegans are more forgiving of genuine ignorance, than they are of willful ignorance & selfish indifference.

Please note that I'm in no way a fan of Freelee, and I don't have a vested interest in defending her. Rather, I simply thought that what most people claim that Freelee said is different than what she actually said. I dislike it when people feel a need to distort and exaggerate already-sufficiently-offensive comments, considering that the actual comment is probably already worthy of negative criticism.

Vegan Gains wrote:I wanted to record my grandfather's heart attack and use it as evidence for veganism
Are you saying that this particular comment is stupid, or that what he actually did (filming grampa's heart-attack) is a bad thing? I agree with many of the common criticisms of Vegan Gains, such as those regarding his outrageous claims about women in his first vasectomy-video, and the foolishness of his choice to make death threats.

However, I'm rather puzzled by the "ethical" arguments that he should not have filmed his grampa's heart-attack. Why is this such a terrible thing to do? It seems to me like most people would answer this question with, "It's disrespectful", "It's just wrong", "It's sociopathic", etc. Essentially just restating that it's wrong, in reply to a question about why it's wrong, rather than explaining why it's wrong. Are there any rational arguments against VG filming his grampa's heart-attack, that don't involve circular reasoning or appeal to emotion?
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:Clever comeback by a vegan who wanted to use personal attacks instead of evidence:
Some vegan wrote:You stupid udder-sucker!!
I think it's obvious to most people who promote any social justice movement(s) that using ad-hominems against the opposition is an ineffective tactic. Vegans ought to provide rational explanations of why nonvegans' actions towards animals are unethical, without criticizing their character.

One can definitely explain why it's unethical to deny blacks/homosexuals the same respect & legal rights as whites/heterosexuals, without condemning the character of racists/homophobes (which would make them defensive and outraged). Same thing with the vegan movement.

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:Many vegans are nice and wonderful. I just wish they were as vocal as these nuts...
Unfortunately the "nuts" get far more attention than the calm/rational/polite vegans...
"However, I'm rather puzzled by the "ethical" arguments that he should not have filmed his grampa's heart-attack. Why is this such a terrible thing to do?"

I stopped reading here. If you can't understand why, go seek help.

I just saw a cat on my way home that was run over by a car. No, I did not take a picture of it so I can claim why cats are stupid and should not run in the streets. Use your brain honey
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I stopped reading here. If you can't understand why, go seek help.
Is there any reason why you can't say so yourself? Saying this, especially in such a patronizing tone, makes it seem as if you don't know yourself why it is wrong beyond just saying it is. I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning.

It's wrong to videotape someone's death or photograph their corpse to promote veganism because it can cause harm to their family, friends, and the vegan movement. Family and friends will have to mourn for longer due to this event and may face depression. The vegan movement will lose credibility because most consider actions like these detestable. Turning more people away from veganism will lead to more unnecessary death and suffering. Thus, video taping the deaths of humans or photographing their corpses to prove a point will have a harmful impact and by extension be considered "wrong".
I just saw a cat on my way home that was run over by a car. No, I did not take a picture of it so I can claim why cats are stupid and should not run in the streets. Use your brain honey
That doesn't prove that it's wrong, that proves that it's an effective way to advocate, and I'd agree with that. What is being asked is why is it wrong to take a picture of this cat post mortem?
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

@ Cirion and ThatNerdyScienceGirl: Sorry for my late responses. I didn't see them until today. From now on I'll look at my "Notifications" to see if someone replied to me.

@Cirion:
Cirion Spellbinder wrote:It's wrong to videotape someone's death or photograph their corpse to promote veganism because it can cause harm to their family, friends, and the vegan movement. Family and friends will have to mourn for longer due to this event and may face depression.
Yes, I agree, that this may result from filming the family member's death, and even more so by publishing it online. Therefore I would not do so and would generally deem it unwise for others to do so as well, even if they're sincere about doing so to promote a worthy cause. If the harm exceeds the benefit then it is ultimately unethical.
Cirion Spellbinder wrote:The vegan movement will lose credibility because most consider actions like these detestable. Turning more people away from veganism will lead to more unnecessary death and suffering. Thus, video taping the deaths of humans or photographing their corpses to prove a point will have a harmful impact and by extension be considered "wrong".
While I think this is true, it bothers me that the action (of filming a death) being unethical is based (mostly) upon the fact that many people deem it unethical. Essentially, it's wrong to do so because others deem it wrong.

If the filmer is unable* to save the dying family member, and films the death to promote a worthy cause, then why do people find it so "detestable"? How is the act of filming actually bad for the person dying (unless they have explicitly stated that they don't want this to happen, which isn't necessarily the case)? This is what I really want to know. Why the act of filming does wrong by (specifically) the person dying.

For those who deem it "detestable", their explanation of why, is either "It's wrong because it's wrong" (circular logic), "It's wrong because others deem it wrong (which doesn't explain why those people deem it wrong)", or some kind of appeal to emotion.

Just to be clear, I understand why (in most circumstances) this action is unwise (because of the results you described). However, my point is that I don't think that this action always involves wrongdoing towards the person who's actually dying, and I'd like to know why others do think that it's always wrong.

Hypothetically, if I was dying because of some avoidable malady, and I gave permission to someone nearby to film my death (and publicize it; for the sake of educating others of the danger), would the filming then be deemed morally acceptable by most people? Is this explicit permission what's necessary? Perhaps by default we should assume that filming a person's death goes against their wishes, and thus is unethical? This however would not demonstrate that filming a family member's death is inherently unethical, 100% of the time.

*This was the case with VG and his grandfather. VG performed CPR upon him, until he was told by paramedics to stop. He then started filming.

@ThatNerdyScienceGirl:
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:I stopped reading here.
I wish that you hadn't stopped. Reading further after an offensive question of mine might help you better understand why I asked it, or why I don't necessarily hold the views that others do. Additionally, if you had continued reading, you would have seen these comments of mine:
ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:I think it's obvious to most people who promote any social justice movement(s) that using ad-hominems against the opposition is an ineffective tactic. Vegans ought to provide rational explanations of why nonvegans' actions towards animals are unethical, without criticizing their character.

Similarly, I imagine that you can explain to me (you haven't yet) why filming a family member's death does wrong to them, without making derogatory comments about my character.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:If you can't understand why, go seek help.
You mean psychiatric help? This is a condemnation of my mental health (or maybe just my character), but not a sufficient answer to any of the questions I asked you. Nor an answer at all for that matter. I'm not bothered by your insult, but I am disappointed by your lack of a substantial reply. I also posed for you some questions (mostly about Freelee) that were before the particular question of mine that you couldn't bear to read past. You didn't address those either.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:I just saw a cat on my way home that was run over by a car.
I'm sorry to hear that. Mostly for the cat, but also for you for having to witness that.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:No, I did not take a picture of it so I can claim why cats are stupid and should not run in the streets.
That's not a good analogy. I was discussing the morality of filming & publicizing an avoidable death, so that the filmer can use it to educate others on a danger & how to avoid it. Not to mock the victim as being "stupid".
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:Use your brain, honey.
Please stop using ad-hominems.
Last edited by Lightningman_42 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Albert Einstein
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

If the filmer is unable* to save the dying family member, and films the death to promote a worthy cause, then why do people find it so "detestable"?
I'd ask them! If ThatNerdyScienceGirl decides to respond we should have a clear answer. I'm guessing it has do with trivial things such as emotion or honor.
How is the act of filming actually bad for the person dying (unless they have explicitly stated that they don't want this to happen, which isn't necessarily the case)? This is what I really want to know. Why the act of filming does wrong by (specifically) the person dying.
Probably nothing at all. I can't think of anything. All harm that is done is due to people's irrational, emotional, and/ / or inconsistent moral systems.
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

There's lots of woo in the movement like

Soy is bad it messes with your hormones!

Following ridiculous pseudoscientific diets like only raw, some stuff by mercola.

You don't need vitamin b12 supplements. One person I know said you can get it by walking barefoot on organic fields.

GMMoos are evil! Monsatan is the anti Christ. Always go for organic, its much better for the environment

Oysters aren't vegan. Sentience doesn't matter, it must only be a plant people! VEG-an!!1!!!11 (Sprinkles nutritional yeast on sautéed mushrooms.)

I've also heard, I don't eat mushrooms because its proteins are similar to an animal, it may be an animal.

Unnatural vegan is evil non vegan! I only support racist/fat shaming/sexist privilege blind vegans and such organisations!!

Welfarists/single issue causes are not vegan! Let's not encourage/actively campaign against reducing animal suffering people, clearly as vegans our objective shouldn't be reducing animal suffering. That is the oblivionist approach. Cause f@*k logic!

I don't believe in vaccination.

There is no difference between a man and a mouse even in conflict/life or death burning building scenarios where I could only save one, I'd flip a coin to decide who.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox