Stupid Things Vegans Say

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
DiscreteElite_
Diet: Vegan

Re: Stupid Things Vegans Say

Post by DiscreteElite_ »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:"Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live"

~Freelee The Banana Girl~
She was obviously wondering whether or not "educated" meat eaters--meaning those who have watched Cowspiracy, Earthlings, and have read articles showing the effects of meat on the environment, health, etc.--should still live. Her negative approach isn't something I support, since it seems counterproductive. She wasn't even talking about those who were ignorant of how their choices affected the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPAxEcZeuw Honestly, as painful as it is to see this video it's even more painful (for me anyway) when people call her a vegan Hitler because they misrepresent/misinterpret what she's saying. She even says that she doesn't want to kill people in that same video.

Please watch the complete video before misrepresenting people next time. Honesty is a virtue.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

DiscreteElite_ wrote:
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:"Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live"

She was obviously wondering whether or not "educated" meat eaters--meaning those who have watched Cowspiracy, Earthlings, and have read articles showing the effects of meat on the environment, health, etc.--should still live. Her negative approach isn't something I support, since it seems counterproductive. She wasn't even talking about those who were ignorant of how their choices affected the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPAxEcZeuw Honestly, as painful as it is to see this video it's even more painful (for me anyway) when people call her a vegan Hitler because they misrepresent/misinterpret what she's saying. She even says that she doesn't want to kill people in that same video.

Please watch the complete video before misrepresenting people next time. Honesty is a virtue.
So it would be perfectly fine if I said that "everyone who steps on a spider deserves to be slaughtered" so long as I stated that I don't want to personally slaughter people myself?

No, it wouldn't be ok, and as a result me just quoting that she said something utterly retarded is in no way a "misrepresentation."

Since this is an atheist forum as well, I think most people would agree that stating "You deserve to spend an eternity in agonizing torture and hellfire until the end of time" is wrong, no matter how many times the religious person stated "But I personally don't want to torture you with my own hands"

I don't think it is morally just to claim that people who go to the grocery store and purchase prepackaged Chicken Tenders because they were not swayed by Earthlings deserve to die. Not everyone is swayed by Earthlings, or Cowspiracy. Many may view it as overtly extremist, and is just picked and chosen examples that don't make up the usual practices of factory farming, much like how horrid illegal Sweatshops exist, but most clothing you buy at the store were not made by one.

Then again, honesty is a virtue that many lack.
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
DiscreteElite_

Post by DiscreteElite_ »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:
DiscreteElite_ wrote:

So it would be perfectly fine if I said that "everyone who steps on a spider deserves to be slaughtered" so long as I stated that I don't want to personally slaughter people myself?

No, it wouldn't be ok, and as a result me just quoting that she said something utterly retarded is in no way a "misrepresentation."

Since this is an atheist forum as well, I think most people would agree that stating "You deserve to spend an eternity in agonizing torture and hellfire until the end of time" is wrong, no matter how many times the religious person stated "But I personally don't want to torture you with my own hands"

I don't think it is morally just to claim that people who go to the grocery store and purchase prepackaged Chicken Tenders because they were not swayed by Earthlings deserve to die. Not everyone is swayed by Earthlings, or Cowspiracy. Many may view it as overtly extremist, and is just picked and chosen examples that don't make up the usual practices of factory farming, much like how horrid illegal Sweatshops exist, but most clothing you buy at the store were not made by one.

"Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live," is not an honest representation. At its best, it's imprecise and at its worst it's deliberately dishonest--I'm leaning more towards the former rather than the latter. She was wondering whether people have educated themselves but still eat meat still deserve to live--I have stated that this conduct seems counterproductive. To quote her, "Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live," is not an honest representation because you could interpret this as ALL people who eat meat. She wasn't talking about everybody who eats meat, but everybody who has educated themselves but still eats meat. I still condemn her even if she refers to "educated" meat eaters but it's not honest to say that she said, "Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live."
ThatNerdyScienceGirl

DiscreteElite_ wrote:
DiscreteElite_ wrote:

"Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live," is not an honest representation. At its best, it's imprecise and at its worst it's deliberately dishonest--I'm leaning more towards the former rather than the latter. She was wondering whether people have educated themselves but still eat meat still deserve to live--I have stated that this conduct seems counterproductive. To quote her, "Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live," is not an honest representation because you could interpret this as ALL people who eat meat. She wasn't talking about everybody who eats meat, but everybody who has educated themselves but still eats meat. I still condemn her even if she refers to "educated" meat eaters but it's not honest to say that she said, "Everyone who eats animal products do not deserve to live."
So you are arguing petty semantics, not any legitimate point? got it.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl

DiscreteElite_ wrote:
DiscreteElite_ wrote:

"among our people the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew." Hitler

But that's not fair, is it? That puts Hitler is a bad light, because Hitler wrote "the Jew is not the attacked but the attacker, not only anyone who attacks passes as his enemy, but also anyone who resists him." this goes to show that Hitler did not view Jews as a literal delusional personification of the devil, but as privileged oppressors of people in society. So quoting Hitler in this way is not an honest representation because you could interpret this as Jews and INFERIOR. He wasn't talking about the inferiority of the Jews, but rather a fight against the oppressive nature of the Jews. I still condemn him for thinking that Jews need to be killed and tortured, but it's just not honest to say that Hitler said "the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew."

You see how what was said was awful, but instead of fighting against the severity of what was said, you'd rather argue petty semantics? Do you now see why such a thing in the light of what was said is just... retarded?
DiscreteElite_

Post by DiscreteElite_ »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:So you are arguing petty semantics, not any legitimate point? got it.
I just told you that they were different. Perhaps, you should watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ60PDUuwsI for the first minute to see how precision is important. He completely misinterprets and misrepresents Freelee in the video and in the title when she was talking about (though it's not any more justified) "educated" meat eaters. Judging by how surprised he was at the "anal electrocution" and how he misrepresents Freelee, he doesn't know the facts. Thus, we can conclude that Freelee wasn't even talking about Maximbady.
DiscreteElite_

Post by DiscreteElite_ »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:"among our people the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew." Hitler

But that's not fair, is it? That puts Hitler is a bad light, because Hitler wrote "the Jew is not the attacked but the attacker, not only anyone who attacks passes as his enemy, but also anyone who resists him." this goes to show that Hitler did not view Jews as a literal delusional personification of the devil, but as privileged oppressors of people in society. So quoting Hitler in this way is not an honest representation because you could interpret this as Jews and INFERIOR. He wasn't talking about the inferiority of the Jews, but rather a fight against the oppressive nature of the Jews. I still condemn him for thinking that Jews need to be killed and tortured, but it's just not honest to say that Hitler said "the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew."

You see how what was said was awful, but instead of fighting against the severity of what was said, you'd rather argue petty semantics? Do you now see why such a thing in the light of what was said is just... retarded?
I have already stated that I disapprove of Freelee's conduct. Also, no, I don't see why it is "retarded" to attend to precision. I'll reiterate once more. "I just woke up, thinking about whether or not meat eaters deserve to live," is different from, "I just woke up, thinking about whether educated meat eaters should continue living." The first one is not precise enough because it doesn't include "educated" meat eaters. Although the second one isn't necessarily absolutely what she said, it's still an honest paraphrase because it's basically the same thing. "Educated meat eaters" versus "meat eaters" can be misconstrued.