Surprisingly Non-Vegan/Vegetarian Foods

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
MWilders
Diet: Vegetarian

Surprisingly Non-Vegan/Vegetarian Foods

Post by MWilders »

I've been doing a bit of research, and I've found out that many food that I've always assumed to be either vegetarian or vegan are not, for example. many sugar brands filter their sugar through animal bones, many beers/wines use fish guts to get rid of sediment, and some cheeses (not applicable to vegans) e.g Parmesan use rennet (cow guts) for stuff. I wonder what other foods and ingredients (including supplements such as vitamin D3, which can like come from sheep brains or wool) people have came across which it turns out aren't vegetarian or vegan, but you would assume they would be. I can't seem to find any lists anywhere which contain everything, and the ones that are use ridiculous terms which I don't understand, so I would like to start a discussion in simple English here for vegetarians/vegans so they can watch out for foods they would have normally just eaten without a second thought.

Note: I myself am not vegan yet (planning on doing so soon though), but all products that aren't/tend not to be vegan/vegetarian are welcome in this post so both vegans and vegetarians can use it. But please specify whether the ingredient is non-vegan or non-vegetarian, so we don't have any confusion!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Surprisingly Non-Vegan/Vegetarian Foods

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm sorry if this isn't very useful to the topic (and I may sound like a broken record), but I agree with PETA here:
http://www.peta.org/living/food/making-transition-vegetarian/ideas-vegetarian-living/tiny-amount-animal-products-food/

I try not to worry about things that aren't even on the ingredients list (a lot of juices can be clarified through gelatin too; you never know).
Although I don't drink beer/wines, and I try to avoid sugar for health reasons anyway.