PlantBuilt Vegan Muscle Team

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

PlantBuilt Vegan Muscle Team

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Have you seen this campaign?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan ... uscle-team

Great video.

10% of the competitors took home 40%- it's hard to imagine any more efficient outreach than this team. Of course, it's also hard work.

Has anybody been inspired to body-build, not for bodybuilding's sake, but just to smash the stereotypes?
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Re: PlantBuilt Vegan Muscle Team

Post by thebestofenergy »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Have you seen this campaign?

Great video.

10% of the competitors took home 40%- it's hard to imagine any more efficient outreach than this team. Of course, it's also hard work.

Has anybody been inspired to body-build, not for bodybuilding's sake, but just to smash the stereotypes?
If someone stereotypes and he's being serious about it, I think I won't care to show him that he's mistaken. I wouldn't even engage an argument with him, just like I don't engage arguments with racist people. He'd probably just find another excuse. There's already enough evidence (world records) and scientific proof that you can be veg*n and at the same time the healthiest and strongest person you could be.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

thanks for sharing. some of what the narrator said at the beginning I had issue with. The focus was primary on treatment, and if anyone has recently seen the debate on Intelligence Squared "Don't Eat Anything with a Face", I think that argument only takes you to treating animals better, but not abolition. When the arguments are brought out against factory farming, the answer people have is: small family farm where they treat animals "humanely", not going vegan. I think too many vegan advocacy videos today centre only on treatment, and not on use irrespective of treatment.

The other issue i had with the narrator's comments were that she correlated obesity with meat consumption, and I think that obesity has more to do with processed foods, sugar, lack of fibre, high fat, and in-active lifestyle. Sure dairy/eggs/meat is a contributing factor, but I felt the narrator inaccurately equated obesity with meat consumption.

Other than that, i thought the video was good. Its great to see vegans working to battle stereotypes.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
cufflink

Post by cufflink »

Great video.

Vegan bodybuilder Jim Morris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUtv4slpm-U

As one of the YouTube commenters said (but more colorfully), this guy is a legend. I had no idea he's been a vegan now for a dozen or so years. At 78, he's quite a role model.
One Moment in Annihilation's Waste,
One Moment of the Well of Life to taste--
The Stars are setting, and the Caravan
Draws to the Dawn of Nothing--Oh, make haste!

—Fitzgerald, Rubáiyát, 2nd ed., XLIX
cufflink

Post by cufflink »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:The other issue i had with the narrator's comments were that she correlated obesity with meat consumption, and I think that obesity has more to do with processed foods, sugar, lack of fibre, high fat, and in-active lifestyle. Sure dairy/eggs/meat is a contributing factor, but I felt the narrator inaccurately equated obesity with meat consumption.
I agree. It's a weak argument. You can certainly get fat on a vegan diet if you overload on sugar and junk food and don't get off the couch.

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

cufflink wrote: Vegan bodybuilder Jim Morris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUtv4slpm-U

As one of the YouTube commenters said (but more colorfully), this guy is a legend. I had no idea he's been a vegan now for a dozen or so years. At 78, he's quite a role model.
Wow, that's great :D

Love people like that.

I don't know what he was talking about in the beginning, that 'science' said people can't run faster than a four minute mile. I'm guessing that's one of those common misconceptions that became urban legend, like the claims that bumblebees can't fly according to science, which is false of course: http://www.snopes.com/science/bumblebees.asp

Ah, maybe this: http://legendsrevealed.com/sports/2009/ ... evealed-5/

Can't find a snopes debunking on it.

cufflink wrote:
TheVeganAtheist wrote:The other issue i had with the narrator's comments were that she correlated obesity with meat consumption, and I think that obesity has more to do with processed foods, sugar, lack of fibre, high fat, and in-active lifestyle. Sure dairy/eggs/meat is a contributing factor, but I felt the narrator inaccurately equated obesity with meat consumption.
I agree. It's a weak argument. You can certainly get fat on a vegan diet if you overload on sugar and junk food and don't get off the couch.
Yes, that's true. If anything, it shows that animal products in general are a kind of junk food, but not the only junk food.
Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

Great video.

I'm a vegan CrossFitter, and Olympic bodybuilding is a major component of that lifestyle.

I'm not bulky, but then, that's not my focus. I have made significant strength gains since I began CF a year ago, and have seen significant improvements in body composition, as well. I had pretty good endurance before joining, but that has improved, too.

Most of the coaches and members at my gym were surprised that I was vegan, and one or two are still incredulous that I can make so much progress without meat, eggs, dairy, or (recently) added fats of any kind. After a while, though, they became curious, and began asking about my food strategies, and so on.

I don't preach it to them, but I don't hide it, either. One of my workout shirts is an Engine 2 "Herbivore" logo with the silhouette of a rhino on it. Another one is a Meat Free Athlete "Eat Kind Be Strong" slogan. Other than that, I'm pretty low-key.

Anyway, I did get into it partially because a number of "paleo" people told me it was impossible, and I wanted to prove them wrong. But the rewards I have reaped as a result far outweigh that motivation.
Eat kind, be strong.
Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

Well, meat-eating, in and of itself, is correlated with obesity to a significant degree.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2697260/

Mathematically, sugar is less fattening than fats, because as a carb, it contains only 4 cal/gm, while fats possess 9 cal/gm. It's a lot easier to over-eat on fats than on carbs or proteins.

True, removing fiber & water from carb sources and refining them down to pure sugar creates a concentrated calorie source, but that's just numbers and not anything inherent to sugar itself.

Meaty diets tend to be far higher in fat content, and in excess protein (a large portion of which gets converted to body fat, as well), and thus, major engines of obesity.
Eat kind, be strong.
cufflink

Post by cufflink »

Humane Hominid wrote:I'm a vegan CrossFitter, and Olympic bodybuilding is a major component of that lifestyle.
What are your thoughts on plant-based protein powders like pea or hemp protein?

More generally, do you use any vegan-friendly bodybuilding supplements?

Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

cufflink wrote:
What are your thoughts on plant-based protein powders like pea or hemp protein?

More generally, do you use any vegan-friendly bodybuilding supplements?
I use none. Supplements are a scam, for the most part. If one's goal is to build muscle, one just need to increase calories. Excess protein is pointless; it either gets converted to glucose for immediate energy, to body fat for storage, or gets excreted out as waste. Extra protein does not equal more muscle.

What matters is proper macronutrient ratio. A diet of mostly complex carbs, then moderate protein, and minimal fat works best for most people. That's why I've had such success with the Engine 2 diet. I eat bigger portions of it than recommended in the book, because I am not sedentary and thus have bigger calorie requirements. But I've lost body fat and gotten both leaner and stronger on it.

Only "supplement" I take is a sublingual B-12 twice a week.
Eat kind, be strong.