Do bodybuilders and strength athletes need more protein?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Do bodybuilders and strength athletes need more protein?

Post by Jebus »

What are your thoughts on this? It is difficult to find good information on this as most articles are written by meat eating bodybuilders. I have read that humans need .36 grams of protein per pound of body weight. How much more, if any, would a bodybuilder need?

Also, is there any solid research on the risks of consuming too much protein? Bodybuilding meat eaters are saying there is none.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Do bodybuilders and strength athletes need more protein?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The myth is that 1g/lb of bodymass is required. I posted a link for Mr. E to a pretty good article I read that covered some science debunking that:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
• Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
• Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
• Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.
• Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
• Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.
His conclusion (summarizing the research):
There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle. This already includes a very safe mark-up. There hasn’t been any recorded advantage of consuming more than 0.64g/lb. The only exceptions to this rule could be individuals with extraordinarily high anabolic hormone levels.
So, it seems like people who are building can benefit from about twice the protein as those who are just living a normal life.

Of course, that is still quite easy to get on a vegan diet, but you would have to avoid eating too many sweet fruits or fats, since those would create more of a risk of excess calories or no reaching the protein target.

Greens and beans will still hit the target pretty easily.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Interesting. The authors of this study concluded that there is not sufficient evidence to suggest that high performance athletes need more protein than average person. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/4/886.full

There also seems to be disagreement as to whether too much protein is harmful. I haven't had time to look trough the studies to see if the "merchants of doubt" are doing their part.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote:Interesting. The authors of this study concluded that there is not sufficient evidence to suggest that high performance athletes need more protein than average person. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/4/886.full
Given the unknowns, and because it's relatively easy to eat 1.8g/kg, eating that extra protein is usually regarded as a safe bet.
It may turn out to not be as useful as it's currently believed to be.

I would find it highly unlikely that bodybuilders wouldn't benefit from more protein than an average person.
Jebus wrote: There also seems to be disagreement as to whether too much protein is harmful. I haven't had time to look trough the studies to see if the "merchants of doubt" are doing their part.
Too much methionine is bad news. I don't know about others.

The trouble is controlling for variables, because usually when people consume more protein they consume less fiber, and vegetables. And very often, that protein is in animal products, which are also bad for one's health.
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

The vegan bodybuilding and nutrition group is evidence based
https://m.facebook.com/groups/643342425761335?_rdr

(Not to be confused with vegan bodybuilding and fitness group :? )

I guess whole foods may be better than processed isolates though that's just being intuitive.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox