hunting for population control?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
jessie
Diet: Vegan

hunting for population control?

Post by jessie »

So I've been thinking and trying to figure out how I feel about hunting for population control. It recently was mentioned how there would be a huge problem with deer population if we didn't have hunting.

A lot of information I find on this are on org sites which have their own agenda. I can't find many reliable studies or gov info. I wanted to hear and discuss what everyone else thinks.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: hunting for population control?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Apparently in areas where hunting is popular, deer populations are "managed" to increase the population by clearing areas in the forest for maximum population growth.

When organizations have an incentive to increase populations to sell more hunting licenses, that's a problem.

Populations should be left alone, and we should focus on technology and infrastructure that would reduce wildlife collisions on roads, and keep deer and other wildlife out of human areas (particularly human garbage, which artificially increases their populations).