Immoral to eat meat? --Tostrong4you

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
tostrong4you
Diet: Meat-Eater

Immoral to eat meat? --Tostrong4you

Post by tostrong4you »

reasons why its not immoral to eat meat:

1) Their lives dont matter to humans
2) Their emotions are only chemicals
3) They are not a threat to us
4) Human lives are more important

thoughts?
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Immoral to eat meat? --Tostrong4you

Post by EquALLity »

tostrong4you wrote:1) Their lives dont matter to humans
So? Why are you drawing an arbitrary line that only what matters to humans matters?
tostrong4u wrote:2) Their emotions are only chemicals
I don't know if this is true or not, but, so? What makes human emotions differ? And why is this relevant?
tostrong4u wrote:3) They are not a threat to us
...So? Neither are 2 year olds. So it's ok to kill two year-olds?
tostrong4u wrote:4) Human lives are more important
Again, so?

The POTUS's life is more important than Pat Robertson's. Is it therefore ok to kill Pat Robertson, when I have no good reason to?

I think I've spotted a Randian, but I'm not sure...
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
tostrong4you

Post by tostrong4you »

Only what matters to humans matters because thats the point of life, to spread more humans
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

tostrong4you wrote: 1) Their lives dont matter to humans
Ethically, this is a terrible argument, but it's not even true. The lives of animals are extremely important to humans; we are largely dependent on bees, for example, to pollinate our crops. The lives of the animals we eat matters in another way; their consumption dramatically increases our chances of getting heart disease, cancer, diabetes, alzheimer's and other diseases, and the production of meat and dairy has a huge impact on the environment we line in.
So are ours, everything is chemicals after all.
Slaves were not a threat to their owners, jews were not a threat to the nazis. What's your point?
Are they? What do you base this on?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

tostrong4you wrote:Only what matters to humans matters because thats the point of life, to spread more humans
Even with this viewpoint, you should still be vegan. Millions of people die from starvation every year because of meat-eaters. Without animal agriculture we would have much more food to feed people. With no meat consumption it would be easier for the poorest people to survive because demand on crops would be much lower.

And animal agriculture is also destroying the environment at a fast pace. If we destroy the planet there will be no way "to spread more humans". So again, you should be vegan ;)
tostrong4you

Post by tostrong4you »

knot wrote:
tostrong4you wrote:Only what matters to humans matters because thats the point of life, to spread more humans
Even with this viewpoint, you should still be vegan. Millions of people die from starvation every year because of meat-eaters. Without animal agriculture we would have much more food to feed people. With no meat consumption it would be easier for the poorest people to survive because demand on crops would be much lower.

And animal agriculture is also destroying the environment at a fast pace. If we destroy the planet there will be no way "to spread more humans". So again, you should be vegan ;)

Saving the environment is a lost cause, we will multiply and spread and bend the environment to our will.
Its not my responsibility to feed poor people, they need to carve out a living for themselves like everyone else.
I still havent heard an argument that makes eating meat immoral.
tostrong4you

Post by tostrong4you »

miniboes wrote:
tostrong4you wrote: 1) Their lives dont matter to humans
Ethically, this is a terrible argument, but it's not even true. The lives of animals are extremely important to humans; we are largely dependent on bees, for example, to pollinate our crops. The lives of the animals we eat matters in another way; their consumption dramatically increases our chances of getting heart disease, cancer, diabetes, alzheimer's and other diseases, and the production of meat and dairy has a huge impact on the environment we line in.
So are ours, everything is chemicals after all.
Slaves were not a threat to their owners, jews were not a threat to the nazis. What's your point?
Are they? What do you base this on?

Bees are important as in they work for our benifit, but no more.
Health benefits or health disadvantage is not a moral argument so im not counting it here.
Slaves were a threat, they just didnt realize it for a while.
Human lives are more important because im human and humans are the most dangerous animal on the planet
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

*miniboes has abandoned this thread*
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Saving the environment is a lost cause
No, not if people actually start taking action. There's also no guarantee we will be able to survive the environmental disasters we're creating
Its not my responsibility to feed poor people, they need to carve out a living for themselves like everyone else.
First you said you were committed only to humans, and now you're saying you dont care about human lives either. So maybe you only really care about yourself. I don't know if you ever considered that maybe not all poor people are poor because they are lazy and stupid, and not all rich people (like yourself) are rich because they are amazing hard workers. But to be honest I think youre just trolling...
Oh, you heard moral arguments, but you didnt listen.. :)
tostrong4you

Post by tostrong4you »

knot wrote:
Saving the environment is a lost cause
No, not if people actually start taking action. There's also no guarantee we will be able to survive the environmental disasters we're creating
First you said you were committed only to humans, and now you're saying you dont care about human lives either. So maybe you only really care about yourself. I don't know if you ever considered that maybe not all poor people are poor because they are lazy and stupid, and not all rich people (like yourself) are rich because they are amazing hard workers. But to be honest I think youre just trolling...
Oh, you heard moral arguments, but you didnt listen.. :)
I care about the humans that effect me yea, but why should I care about any other ones?
Even when we help someone else, we expect something in return down the line.
Environmental disaster? Like what?