Animal Advocacy - Most Important Focus? [POLL]

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.

Where do you think more attention should be placed in animal advocacy?

Welfare Reform
No votes
Abolitionism
10%
Vegan Education
70%
Reduction in Consumption (of animal products)
10%
Environmental Responsibility
No votes
Positive Health Benefits
10%

Total votes: 10

cufflink
Diet: Vegan

Re: Animal Advocacy - Most Important Focus? [POLL]

Post by cufflink »

Brim, as I've come to expect, you've given me a lot to think about--which I will. Thank you. For now, just a couple of things:
brimstoneSalad wrote: On the philosophical side, you will find that a large part of the division comes down to deontologists and consequentialists.
I don't know how much you've dug into philosophy and ethics; deontology is logically invalid, but intuitively it "feels" correct to a lot of people (like religion, and god) so even among atheists (and even self described skeptics) it is a common foundation for a world view (but not among any serious philosophers).
You mean Kant wasn't a serious philosopher? :D I haven't kept up with current trends in philosophy, however, so I'll take your word that modern ethicists don't take deontological theories seriously.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Taken as an isolated event, it's wrong to kill a mosquito. But it's not very wrong. It's on the order of moral magnitude as stepping lightly on somebody's toe- perhaps far less. . . .

On the whole, I believe the existence of mosquitoes causes more harm than good in the world (as a food source, they are not crucial or irreplaceable). I would say, then, that killing them, or at least controlling their populations, is on the whole a moral good.

If I had a button I could push that would wipe out every species of human parasitic mosquito on Earth, I would strongly consider pushing it.
This is aside from my personal dislike of being bitten.
I feel the same way. If I come across a spider in my house, I do my best to take it outside without harming it. When I squash mosquitoes, on the other hand, I feel I'm doing more good than harm. With ants it's not so simple.

In this regard, I sometimes wonder what it's like to live as a Jain. As I understand it, the Jains--and there are some 5 million of them--are so consistently opposed to killing other beings that they wear gauze masks so as not to inadvertently inhale a flying insect, and are careful where they step in order not tread on some crawling creature.
brimstoneSalad wrote:People with severe mental retardation, infants, and people who otherwise have underdeveloped brains or serious brain damage are often in the same cognitive boat as our lesser kin in the animal kingdom.

To say that a child with severe mental retardation- who doesn't know where or what he is, doesn't understand the difference between life and death, and has no notion of tomorrow, and thus no innate desire to see tomorrow- has less moral value than a fully functional child- who is looking forwards to playing softball tomorrow, knows his name and is grappling with the existential issues of what his place in the world will be, has learned about life and death and is very afraid of death, and has every desire in the world to see tomorrow- is just wrong, right? Or is it?

If we maintain that a chicken has less moral value than the average human being, at yet there is no difference in moral value between one human and another, no matter the practical differences in cognition, then we are being speciesist.
If we treat the cases similarly, and admit a moral difference in both cases, then we are being morally consistent, but politically incorrect enough to incite a lynch mob.
Yes, those are difficult questions, and I'm aware of the reception Singer has received as a consequence of his answers.

In a way, the story of the Garden of Eden gets it right, which speaks to the value of mythology in explaining ourselves to ourselves. The tree whose fruit Adam and Eve are forbidden to eat is the True of Knowledge--specifically, the knowledge of good and evil. Prior to the serpent and the apple, A & E are living quite literally in a fool's paradise, not knowing the difference between right and wrong; once they acquire moral knowledge, the trouble starts. But it's precisely our concern about right and wrong, even if we don't have all the answers, that makes us fully human.
One Moment in Annihilation's Waste,
One Moment of the Well of Life to taste--
The Stars are setting, and the Caravan
Draws to the Dawn of Nothing--Oh, make haste!

—Fitzgerald, Rubáiyát, 2nd ed., XLIX
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

cufflink wrote:no chicken understands anything about the universe beyond its own narrow environment, no chicken has ever composed a symphony or written poetry or painted a portrait, no chicken has gotten off the planet, no chicken is concerned about members of other species, no chicken is concerned about right and wrong
Many humans don't correctly understand anything about the universe beyond their narrow environments- do they get credit for being wrong about everything (e.g. theists)?
Many humans are creative duds, who have never done anything of real artistic value.
Chickens have gotten off the planet, I believe- in the space station (egg incubation experiments?) Correct me if I'm wrong.
Chickens are concerned about other species- they're social animals, and will develop bonds (as dogs do) with owners, and other pets of other species. Most often other birds, but also mammals, including humans.
Maybe, maybe not, but most humans aren't really concerned about right and wrong either, are they?

I don't think the virtues of a few more exceptional humans necessarily validate the entire species. There are some profoundly unexceptional examples out there.

It's great to value these things- and in some cases there are a lot of humans who embody those values- but we also have to recognize that for those humans who don't or choose not to embody those values, if we consider those values to be markers of moral worth, that those humans necessarily have less moral worth.

And maybe lazy and stupid people are worth less. But it's something we have to consider.
cufflink wrote: You mean Kant wasn't a serious philosopher? :D I haven't kept up with current trends in philosophy, however, so I'll take your word that modern ethicists don't take deontological theories seriously.
Kant, now there's a love hate relationship. I can neither say that he was, or that he wasn't a serious philosopher. He did some serious work, and he did some terrible work.
What he tried to do was amazing (a commendable attempt)- and I don't know if we need to give points for effort on this or not- but he failed to accomplish it, and that great blunder defines the largest part of his legacy for a philosophy of ethics that was neither logical nor ethical.

Not to make a "no true Scottsman" fallacy here, but on the subject Kant was apparently a theologian first, and a philosopher second-- and I think the two can be mutually exclusive as a matter of practice.
He worked backwards from the conclusion he wanted, and then tried to rationalize it. It was an apologia; a rationalization for a subjective feeling of how people tended to view ethics at the time that made the unfounded assumption that people were being consistent in their beliefs.

He played very fast and loose with logic, and made use of a number of fallacies in forming his concept of the categorical imperative. The flaws in his reasoning were pointed out even in his lifetime, but he didn't seem to really care, and never addressed them or revised his position.

Now, that may not be entirely fair as an evaluation of his character, since he did go and die pretty promptly, and he faced censorship issues (because his views were highly theological, and conflicted with the church on some points)- so maybe he would have engaged in more of a dialogue if he had the time, health, and freedom to do so? Nobody knows.

That said, while he may not have been a good philosopher, he might have been the most rational apologist to have ever lived- and it is by virtue of this that his works became so prevalent. It still doesn't make him right, but he did a much better job than most have (attempting what most never bothered with).
In this regard, I sometimes wonder what it's like to live as a Jain. As I understand it, the Jains--and there are some 5 million of them--are so consistently opposed to killing other beings that they wear gauze masks so as not to inadvertently inhale a flying insect, and are careful where they step in order not tread on some crawling creature.
Most Jains don't do that- just the monks.
Yes, those are difficult questions, and I'm aware of the reception Singer has received as a consequence of his answers.
I think perhaps they are more difficult answers than difficult questions.
The real challenge is how to answer them without causing a riot- is there some kind of politically correct and diplomatic way of doing it?
Maybe, maybe not.

People hate the comparison, because they imagine that we want to treat the mentally handicapped as badly as society treats other species of animals.
But that's not it at all.
We want to treat animals as well as we treat mentally handicapped- with love, compassion, and consideration of their right to live free of suffering.
But it's precisely our concern about right and wrong, even if we don't have all the answers, that makes us fully human.
And yet, so many people lack that concern.

Just as we satisfy our sexual drives while wearing condoms (defeating the 'natural purpose')
We try to satisfy our desire for compassion superficially, without actually caring what the result is.

While there's nothing wrong with wearing condoms (people should), false absolution is one of the greatest evils in the world.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

thebestofenergy wrote:How would the ability to think about the future be relevant here? The premise was that they were not realising/knowing what was happening (e.g. humans being killed by a bullet in their brain without see it coming or being mashed by a hand in the case of the mosquito).
I agree that not knowing what was happened is not a moral justification. The ability to think about the future does matter though. If you can plan ahead and think about things you like to do in the future, you have a stronger interest in not to be killed.
thebestofenergy wrote:A stone is not alive, and a plant (as another example) is not a sentient. Even if they had the possibility, they wouldn't be able to make a decision.
Then they didn't had the possibility. :D
thebestofenergy wrote:It's not that much hypothetical, actually: animals (instects included) keep making the decision to avoid death when there's a danger, since they have survival instincts. A stone doesn't have survival instincts; and a plant neither, it has a defense mechanism.
Yes, some plants do have a defense mechanism, to stay alive and to reproduce. They don't 'want' you to end their live, even though they aren't conscious. So it's not necessarily because an organism is conscious that they want to avoid death.

I'm not really sure myself whether I agree with the premise that killing a conscious creature with no sense of the future is justifiable. I like to think it is not (like you do), but I feel that I have no basis for holding that position.
thebestofenergy wrote:Some morals are relatives, some are not. Killing your own children would be objectively wrong for example (from an evolution point of view, because it endangers the specie). But some questions such as: who would you kill/let live? 10'000 people, or 1 very smart scientist that has the potential/probability to make an important discovery in the medical science? That is subjective.
Why is that? If your moral framework is broad consequentialism, you potentially can also objectively answer that second question. Although you can't really calculate it beforehand, one of the two options causes more suffering, sadness, ... than the other.
And why is the first example you gave objective? Because of common sense, or because there is no conflict? I also don't think you should base morals on the mechanisms of evolution.
thebestofenergy wrote:I should have specified 'two sentient beings that have similar consciousness'. I was talking about intelligence, not consciousness. They don't necessarily have to depend one from the other.
In the case of 'human vs. chicken', I'd choose to save the human over the chicken because of intelligence (since in this case the difference of intelligence between the two animals also means higher consciousness).
It's hard to define intelligence, but maybe there is no disagreement. WikiPedia says:
Intelligence has been defined in many different ways such as in terms of one's capacity for logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, emotional knowledge, memory, planning, creativity and problem solving.
I think some of these have moral weight and some don't. That's why I prefer to talk about consciousness.

But if you think that higher consciousness matters and would save the human because of it, then you do think that the human and chicken aren't morally equal, right?
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:How would the ability to think about the future be relevant here? The premise was that they were not realising/knowing what was happening (e.g. humans being killed by a bullet in their brain without see it coming or being mashed by a hand in the case of the mosquito).
I agree that not knowing what was happened is not a moral justification. The ability to think about the future does matter though. If you can plan ahead and think about things you like to do in the future, you have a stronger interest in not to be killed.
But like I said, having a stronger interest in not to be killed doesn't matter in this case. In this scenario you're killed without realising it. If you kill a mosquito mashing it with your hand, the fear/pain that it feels before dying is zero, in the same way you fear/feel zero when you're killed istantly without knowing it.
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:A stone is not alive, and a plant (as another example) is not a sentient. Even if they had the possibility, they wouldn't be able to make a decision.
Then they didn't had the possibility. :D
Indeed, that's what I wanted to point out. Your statement that you could make the same example with a rock is invalid. A rock is not sentient, but an instect is: and it makes the choice to survive.
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:It's not that much hypothetical, actually: animals (instects included) keep making the decision to avoid death when there's a danger, since they have survival instincts. A stone doesn't have survival instincts; and a plant neither, it has a defense mechanism.
Yes, some plants do have a defense mechanism, to stay alive and to reproduce. They don't 'want' you to end their live, even though they aren't conscious. So it's not necessarily because an organism is conscious that they want to avoid death.
No, it's scientifically wrong to say that they don't 'want' you to end their lives. They don't have the desire to keep living. It's a mechanism to keep the specie alive. They don't 'want' to avoid death, while instects do want to avoid death.
Volenta wrote:I'm not really sure myself whether I agree with the premise that killing a conscious creature with no sense of the future is justifiable. I like to think it is not (like you do), but I feel that I have no basis for holding that position.
The instects struggle to survive. They want to keep living, at a conscious level (unlike plants and stones), and they're sentient. That's why, atleast for me, they are worth moral value. They have a neurological activity and a nervous system that make them feel, even if just in the slightest.
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:Some morals are relatives, some are not. Killing your own children would be objectively wrong for example (from an evolution point of view, because it endangers the specie). But some questions such as: who would you kill/let live? 10'000 people, or 1 very smart scientist that has the potential/probability to make an important discovery in the medical science? That is subjective.
Why is that? If your moral framework is broad consequentialism, you potentially can also objectively answer that second question. Although you can't really calculate it beforehand, one of the two options causes more suffering, sadness, ... than the other.
And why is the first example you gave objective? Because of common sense, or because there is no conflict? I also don't think you should base morals on the mechanisms of evolution.
The first example I gave is objective because of our genes. It's built in our evolution process that killing your own children would endanger the specie. Anyone that doesn't have a mental disorder that modifies that, thinks that killing your own children is wrong. Most of the morals we have are based on evolution. That's because of mirror neurons and the ability to 'put ourselves in the shoes of others' that we can define morals.
But in the second scenario, where we can't have numbers and stable facts to base our morals on, the answer is subjective. We know that it's objectively morally right to cause the less suffering/harm, so we base our decision on this. But in this case it's not clear what the consequences would be in the future. It's objectively right to save the 10'000 people over the one fs there's nothing else into the equasion, but what if that 1 has more value then normal people/could have more moral worth then the 10'000 people?
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:I should have specified 'two sentient beings that have similar consciousness'. I was talking about intelligence, not consciousness. They don't necessarily have to depend one from the other.
In the case of 'human vs. chicken', I'd choose to save the human over the chicken because of intelligence (since in this case the difference of intelligence between the two animals also means higher consciousness).
It's hard to define intelligence, but maybe there is no disagreement. WikiPedia says:
Intelligence has been defined in many different ways such as in terms of one's capacity for logic, abstract thought, understanding, self-awareness, communication, learning, emotional knowledge, memory, planning, creativity and problem solving.
I think some of these have moral weight and some don't. That's why I prefer to talk about consciousness.

But if you think that higher consciousness matters and would save the human because of it, then you do think that the human and chicken aren't morally equal, right?
Consciousness is a vague term aswell. It can assume different meanings, just like intelligence (sentience, awareness, subjectivity, ability to experience/feel. wakefulness, selfhood - Wikipedia).
No, I don't think that the human and the chicken are morally equal. In this scenario, I would evaluate the human more.
But there are also other factors that come in, if you can predict/try to predict the future. There's no doubt that the chicken will have no malicious intention in his life that will cause severe harm to others, but the human most likely will. In a rational way, if the human would pollute the planet, harm other sentient beings for its own selfishness, be apathetic, etc. would he/she then be worth less then the chicken?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

thebestofenergy wrote:But like I said, having a stronger interest in not to be killed doesn't matter in this case. In this scenario you're killed without realising it. If you kill a mosquito mashing it with your hand, the fear/pain that it feels before dying is zero, in the same way you fear/feel zero when you're killed istantly without knowing it.
But what do you think about killing an animal that has no conscious interest in living (not just less interest)?
thebestofenergy wrote:Indeed, that's what I wanted to point out. Your statement that you could make the same example with a rock is invalid. A rock is not sentient, but an instect is: and it makes the choice to survive.
How do you make them choose? They can't make the decision. That was my point. Yes, they try to avoid danger, but so do some plants. Avoiding danger doesn't mean they made a choose. But since animals are conscious/sentient and plants are not, that could be a reason not to kill, but they did not choose.
thebestofenergy wrote:No, it's scientifically wrong to say that they don't 'want' you to end their lives. They don't have the desire to keep living. It's a mechanism to keep the specie alive. They don't 'want' to avoid death, while instects do want to avoid death.
There is a reason I put want between quotes. The goals of a plant and insect are the same, but the insect is conscious. But I think the insect has as much choice in avoiding danger/death as a plant has (although it depends on the insect, not really sure how smart mosquito's are).
thebestofenergy wrote:The instects struggle to survive. They want to keep living, at a conscious level (unlike plants and stones), and they're sentient. That's why, atleast for me, they are worth moral value. They have a neurological activity and a nervous system that make them feel, even if just in the slightest.
I'm not going to repeat what I said about wanting to stay alive. Their sentience matter for me to don't inflict pain and suffering, but I'm still not sure about living. I give them the benefit of doubt by not killing them without a good reason.
thebestofenergy wrote:The first example I gave is objective because of our genes. It's built in our evolution process that killing your own children would endanger the specie. Anyone that doesn't have a mental disorder that modifies that, thinks that killing your own children is wrong. Most of the morals we have are based on evolution. That's because of mirror neurons and the ability to 'put ourselves in the shoes of others' that we can define morals.
It's objective that we feel emotion and you can explain by evolution where this feelings come from, but that doesn't say anything about morality. Evolution can also produce rapists. Raping is a very good strategy to reproduce, but I don't think you want to have that as a moral baseline. Sadists or psychopaths can get great emotional feelings when seeing a child being tortured, that doesn't mean it's alright (even if everyone was a sadist).
thebestofenergy wrote:But in the second scenario, where we can't have numbers and stable facts to base our morals on, the answer is subjective. We know that it's objectively morally right to cause the less suffering/harm, so we base our decision on this. But in this case it's not clear what the consequences would be in the future. It's objectively right to save the 10'000 people over the one fs there's nothing else into the equasion, but what if that 1 has more value then normal people/could have more moral worth then the 10'000 people?
Like I said, even if you don't know the answer, that doesn't mean there is no objective answer to it. It's a practical problem which maybe can't be solved, but that's not the definition of moral relativism as far as I know. I would call it moral ignorance. :)
thebestofenergy wrote:But there are also other factors that come in, if you can predict/try to predict the future. There's no doubt that the chicken will have no malicious intention in his life that will cause severe harm to others, but the human most likely will. In a rational way, if the human would pollute the planet, harm other sentient beings for its own selfishness, be apathetic, etc. would he/she then be worth less then the chicken?
That's an interesting thought. If for example a psychopath was in the house, I would think that the human would still have more moral value, but then you could justify saving the chicken. But it's a tough dilemma, here's another one:
Would you be an organ donor if it would go to a meat eater, resulting in the death of many hundreds of animals? (which isn't a surrealistic thought)
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:But like I said, having a stronger interest in not to be killed doesn't matter in this case. In this scenario you're killed without realising it. If you kill a mosquito mashing it with your hand, the fear/pain that it feels before dying is zero, in the same way you fear/feel zero when you're killed istantly without knowing it.
But what do you think about killing an animal that has no conscious interest in living (not just less interest)?
If it had no conscious interest in living, then I would try to avoid to kill it, but I wouldn't feel bad if I accidentally killed it (e.g. sponges, that are animals).
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:Indeed, that's what I wanted to point out. Your statement that you could make the same example with a rock is invalid. A rock is not sentient, but an instect is: and it makes the choice to survive.
How do you make them choose? They can't make the decision. That was my point. Yes, they try to avoid danger, but so do some plants. Avoiding danger doesn't mean they made a choose. But since animals are conscious/sentient and plants are not, that could be a reason not to kill, but they did not choose.
Plants don't try to avoid danger. Insects do (e.g. fly trying to get rid of the codweb; they predict that if they're going to stay there they're going to die, so they fear).
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:No, it's scientifically wrong to say that they don't 'want' you to end their lives. They don't have the desire to keep living. It's a mechanism to keep the specie alive. They don't 'want' to avoid death, while instects do want to avoid death.
There is a reason I put want between quotes. The goals of a plant and insect are the same, but the insect is conscious. But I think the insect has as much choice in avoiding danger/death as a plant has (although it depends on the insect, not really sure how smart mosquito's are).
The quantity of the tought and of the choice that insects have are between plants and humans. Not as much as humans, but more then plants. They can decide to proceed in different ways to solve the problem in which they're risking their lives (e.g. a small hornet would try to run away from the cobweb of a spider, but a bigger one has the possibility to decide to fight the spider), but you don't see that in plants.
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:The first example I gave is objective because of our genes. It's built in our evolution process that killing your own children would endanger the specie. Anyone that doesn't have a mental disorder that modifies that, thinks that killing your own children is wrong. Most of the morals we have are based on evolution. That's because of mirror neurons and the ability to 'put ourselves in the shoes of others' that we can define morals.
It's objective that we feel emotion and you can explain by evolution where this feelings come from, but that doesn't say anything about morality. Evolution can also produce rapists. Raping is a very good strategy to reproduce, but I don't think you want to have that as a moral baseline. Sadists or psychopaths can get great emotional feelings when seeing a child being tortured, that doesn't mean it's alright (even if everyone was a sadist).
You're right, saying that just because evolution made us with the morals we have, those morals are therefore valid is the 'appeal to nature' logical fallacy.
But we have the ability to use the 'golden rule' thanks to evolution (that gave us mirror neurons; not every animal has them).
So that's why I made that example: it is morally absolute that we should not harm someone if we can avoid to (not because 'evolution says so'), but it's also true that evolution gave us that moral ages ago, before we could have the ability to critically think about it. What I said is that we have that moral absolute because of our genes in the first place, not only because of our critical thinking (altough I should have specified that it's not only absolute because of evolution).
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:But in the second scenario, where we can't have numbers and stable facts to base our morals on, the answer is subjective. We know that it's objectively morally right to cause the less suffering/harm, so we base our decision on this. But in this case it's not clear what the consequences would be in the future. It's objectively right to save the 10'000 people over the one fs there's nothing else into the equasion, but what if that 1 has more value then normal people/could have more moral worth then the 10'000 people?
Like I said, even if you don't know the answer, that doesn't mean there is no objective answer to it. It's a practical problem which maybe can't be solved, but that's not the definition of moral relativism as far as I know. I would call it moral ignorance. :)
There are actually different types of moral relativism (descriptive, meta-ethical, normative). This example falls into the meta-ethical category.
If you cannot predict the future and you don't know the exact probability, then I don't think there's practical solution to this case.
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:But there are also other factors that come in, if you can predict/try to predict the future. There's no doubt that the chicken will have no malicious intention in his life that will cause severe harm to others, but the human most likely will. In a rational way, if the human would pollute the planet, harm other sentient beings for its own selfishness, be apathetic, etc. would he/she then be worth less then the chicken?
That's an interesting thought. If for example a psychopath was in the house, I would think that the human would still have more moral value, but then you could justify saving the chicken. But it's a tough dilemma, here's another one:
Would you be an organ donor if it would go to a meat eater, resulting in the death of many hundreds of animals? (which isn't a surrealistic thought)
Yes, that's a dilemma for me aswell. I consider this another moral relative example: you don't know if and how much he/she is going to harm other sentient beings in the future. And if you know how much, then how do you base yourself on the numbers? Would you kill 10 chickens (that would die in the future) to save that human? Would you kill 10'000 chickens to save that human? And you'd also have to know how those chickens were going to killed, if they were young or old, etc. which you can't possibly know in that moment. Do you think that a moral absolute could be there, if you were to know the % of probability those factors were to happen?
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

thebestofenergy wrote:Plants don't try to avoid danger. Insects do (e.g. fly trying to get rid of the codweb; they predict that if they're going to stay there they're going to die, so they fear).
When acacia trees are grazed by animals they react by producing chemicals to make it unappetizing and tough to digest. Some corn and cotton plants release chemicals in the air when they're attacked by caterpillars to attract parasitic wasps to let them kill the caterpillars. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2GWd2j3qJ8 (some funny comments about vegans there that misinterpreted the information :P)
thebestofenergy wrote:The quantity of the tought and of the choice that insects have are between plants and humans. Not as much as humans, but more then plants. They can decide to proceed in different ways to solve the problem in which they're risking their lives (e.g. a small hornet would try to run away from the cobweb of a spider, but a bigger one has the possibility to decide to fight the spider), but you don't see that in plants.
I guess it depends on what insect we're talking about. Maybe I should watch more documentaries about it.
thebestofenergy wrote:There are actually different types of moral relativism (descriptive, meta-ethical, normative). This example falls into the meta-ethical category.
If you cannot predict the future and you don't know the exact probability, then I don't think there's practical solution to this case.
So if there is no practical solution, that would make the problem relative? It's a honest question, I haven't read much about it (yet).
thebestofenergy wrote:Yes, that's a dilemma for me aswell. I consider this another moral relative example: you don't know if and how much he/she is going to harm other sentient beings in the future. And if you know how much, then how do you base yourself on the numbers? Would you kill 10 chickens (that would die in the future) to save that human? Would you kill 10'000 chickens to save that human? And you'd also have to know how those chickens were going to killed, if they were young or old, etc. which you can't possibly know in that moment. Do you think that a moral absolute could be there, if you were to know the % of probability those factors were to happen?
I think there is an objective answer out there, just like the 10.000 people problem has. If it has a high probability, it's probably the right thing to put in into action, but you of course can't be sure. Balancing human life to a certain number of chickens, cows and pigs is hard to do.

But there is another way of looking to it, sketching two scenario's:
- You would give away your organs and it would end up with a vegan. Then there would be a second organ donor that gives there organs to a meat eater, causing a lot of animal suffering.
- If you were to reject to give away your organs, the vegan would get the organs from the second donor. The meat eater wouldn't get it in that case (until a third donor turns up), causing less animal suffering.
Since 99% or something like that are non-vegans, you are supporting the organ donation practice as a whole, and thereby inevitably causing harm towards animals. But this kind of reasoning makes me sad, since there are people dying because of the lack of organ donors.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:Plants don't try to avoid danger. Insects do (e.g. fly trying to get rid of the codweb; they predict that if they're going to stay there they're going to die, so they fear).
When acacia trees are grazed by animals they react by producing chemicals to make it unappetizing and tough to digest. Some corn and cotton plants release chemicals in the air when they're attacked by caterpillars to attract parasitic wasps to let them kill the caterpillars. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2GWd2j3qJ8 (some funny comments about vegans there that misinterpreted the information :P)
But that's not driven by survival instincts (which is the case for the insect). That's a non-conscious mechanism built by evolution so that they could survive. In the case of insects, it's a conscious decision.
Volenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:There are actually different types of moral relativism (descriptive, meta-ethical, normative). This example falls into the meta-ethical category.
So if there is no practical solution, that would make the problem relative? It's a honest question, I haven't read much about it (yet).
You could argue so. If there's no 'best' solution that can be proven to be so, then I think there's no way to determine what is the correct way to go.
Valenta wrote:
thebestofenergy wrote:Yes, that's a dilemma for me aswell. I consider this another moral relative example: you don't know if and how much he/she is going to harm other sentient beings in the future. And if you know how much, then how do you base yourself on the numbers? Would you kill 10 chickens (that would die in the future) to save that human? Would you kill 10'000 chickens to save that human? And you'd also have to know how those chickens were going to killed, if they were young or old, etc. which you can't possibly know in that moment. Do you think that a moral absolute could be there, if you were to know the % of probability those factors were to happen?
I think there is an objective answer out there, just like the 10.000 people problem has. If it has a high probability, it's probably the right thing to put in into action, but you of course can't be sure. Balancing human life to a certain number of chickens, cows and pigs is hard to do.

But there is another way of looking to it, sketching two scenario's:
- You would give away your organs and it would end up with a vegan. Then there would be a second organ donor that gives there organs to a meat eater, causing a lot of animal suffering.
- If you were to reject to give away your organs, the vegan would get the organs from the second donor. The meat eater wouldn't get it in that case (until a third donor turns up), causing less animal suffering.
Since 99% or something like that are non-vegans, you are supporting the organ donation practice as a whole, and thereby inevitably causing harm towards animals. But this kind of reasoning makes me sad, since there are people dying because of the lack of organ donors.
This argument definetely got me interested. I'd really like to hear the opinion of everyone who's reading this, if you have any.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Volenta wrote: If you can plan ahead and think about things you like to do in the future, you have a stronger interest in not to be killed.
Correct

Volenta wrote: Yes, some plants do have a defense mechanism, to stay alive and to reproduce. They don't 'want' you to end their live, even though they aren't conscious. So it's not necessarily because an organism is conscious that they want to avoid death.
Wrong.

1. You really need to stop talking about consciousness as if it applies in this context- please- that's a wiggly wobbly undefined notion that has more supernatural baggage than anything else, and it just confuses the whole conversation. Using words without definitions (or with circular definitions that beg the question) in discussion isn't useful. The only place this word is useful is in the medical context of awake vs. asleep for a sentient being.

2. The issue is sentience- and that's what matters.

3. Plants do not and can not want anything; they are not sentient.
There's a fairly famous quote:

"The primitive sign of wanting is trying to get"

Understand, that merely moving towards or away from something is NOT in itself trying to get. If it were, we could say that things WANT to fall. That's nonsense and defeats all meaning in the notion.

In order to show one wants something, one has to modify behavior to get it (or avoid something one doesn't want- like noxious stimuli). This means responsiveness to some form of Operant conditioning - and this requires some form of rudimentary intelligence, which plants don't have.

Plants don't want anything.

Now, if you were a creationist, you might say that god wants it, because he designed the plants in that way- much as a watch maker wants a watch to tick.

If you're not a creationist, the most you could say is that evolution "wants" it, in a sense, because in the broadest scope it is vaguely intelligent (in the sense that over generations it reforms its behavior- in the broad sense, it fucntions in the same way intelligence does).

This kind of "wanting" however, has nothing to do with the plant. If we wanted to respect the "will" as such of an entire species, we could only consider what was good for the species as a whole.

Volenta wrote: I'm not really sure myself whether I agree with the premise that killing a conscious creature with no sense of the future is justifiable. I like to think it is not (like you do), but I feel that I have no basis for holding that position.
False premise.

All sentient beings have a sense of the future. Primitive understanding of cause and effect is foundational to intelligence.

Even if that sense of the future is mere milliseconds in the immediate future, it's there.

The questions is how far into the future, and in what breadth of understanding.

A conscious creature (an awake creature) always has a sense of the future.

When we are unconscious- either knocked out by general anesthetic or asleep (which is the only proper way of using the term 'conscious' that has clear meaning)- we may have no sense of the future. But while we were awake we did. We were just paused- and that suspension is morally irrelevant provided that we would or should normally wake up.

It makes no sense talking about a plant in terms of conscious or unconscious, because they are not sentient and they possess no such medical states.

It's like asking whether the manual abacus is powered on or turned off. It doesn't use electricity, it neither turns on nor off.

Volenta wrote: If your moral framework is broad consequentialism, you potentially can also objectively answer that second question. Although you can't really calculate it beforehand, one of the two options causes more suffering, sadness, ... than the other.
Correct
Volenta wrote: I also don't think you should base morals on the mechanisms of evolution.
Correct
Volenta wrote: I think some of these have moral weight and some don't. That's why I prefer to talk about consciousness.
Then talk about Sentience please. Consciousness is the wrong word to use.

thebestofenergy wrote: But like I said, having a stronger interest in not to be killed doesn't matter in this case. In this scenario you're killed without realising it. If you kill a mosquito mashing it with your hand, the fear/pain that it feels before dying is zero, in the same way you fear/feel zero when you're killed istantly without knowing it.
False.

Pain and suffering are in themselves irrelevant to morality.

What matters is interest. We usually have an interest in not suffering - that, and only that, is why suffering is usually bad.

When you have an interest not to die, it doesn't matter how quickly you are killed, or if you realize it's happening or not- that interest is still being violated.

Correct.
thebestofenergy wrote:The instects struggle to survive. They want to keep living, at a conscious level (unlike plants and stones), and they're sentient. That's why, atleast for me, they are worth moral value. They have a neurological activity and a nervous system that make them feel, even if just in the slightest.
Can we try to avoid the word "conscious"?

Yes, they're sentient, and that's what matters.

It's not just for you that they have moral value- it's impossible to respect the interests of something that does not have interests.
If we "respect the interests of a rock" we're participating in some kind of delusion to think the rock has interests in the first place.
Sentient beings, and only sentient beings, have interests.

Now whether a species as a whole, represented by its evolutionary path, can be interpreted to be some kind of vaguely collective being is an interesting question- but probably beyond the scope of the subject here.

No no no.

1. Evolutionary 'sense' of morality is not morality, and it's not objective in the least (genes vary from individual to individual, not just in damaged people). It is relative to genetics- down to the individual.

2. This is at its core an appeal to nature fallacy.

3. Most of the morals we have (descriptive ethics) are NOT based on genetic evolution, but on social systems.

4. You're dealing in descriptive ethics here, and that's a field rife in contradiction by definition. It's not any form of practical ethics. Descriptive ethics does not describe anything approaching a rational or objective morality.

5. We can define moral with reason- psychopaths do just fine at understanding moral theory without mirror neurons (and can even do it more reliably than people who have their views tainted by assumptions and biases).

thebestofenergy wrote:But in the second scenario, where we can't have numbers and stable facts to base our morals on, the answer is subjective.
No, it's still objective- we just don't know what the answer is due to lack of empirical data.

Volenta wrote:But what do you think about killing an animal that has no conscious interest in living (not just less interest)?
It's not OK to kill people in their sleep.

If they are conscious at the time, and they have no interest in continued living, and it's really informed consent (and not a temporary bout of depression) then euthanasia is not inherently wrong.

However, one must also examine the consequences of those actions- such as on family, and society as a whole.

Volenta wrote:How do you make them choose? They can't make the decision. That was my point. Yes, they try to avoid danger, but so do some plants. Avoiding danger doesn't mean they made a choose.
Yes, they can make that decision. Susceptibility to operant conditioning proves that sentient beings have wants- that they have preferences in this regard. Plants do not. Plants are not sentient, and they do not want to avoid danger- they don't want anything, any more than rocks want to fall.

Volenta wrote:There is a reason I put want between quotes. The goals of a plant and insect are the same, but the insect is conscious. But I think the insect has as much choice in avoiding danger/death as a plant has (although it depends on the insect, not really sure how smart mosquito's are).
An insect has actual wants, a plant does not.

If you think you're respecting the interests of something that by its very nature can not have interests, you are being delusional, not moral. ;)
It's like worrying about the well being of a stuffed toy.

No, we should not wantonly destroy things and waste, but non-sentient beings do not have interests.

You aren't doing harm to a rock by carrying it up a hill and setting it down at the top, despite the fact that it has a tendency to move downwards due to gravity. The rock doesn't actually want to move downwards- it just does. The same with a plant.

Insects want to avoid harm, and they want to not die.

If you're getting at the fact that no sentient beings really get to choose what they want (but want merely as a result of deterministic and random factors), then that applies no less so to humans.
Lack of purely free will, in that supernatural sense, doesn't negate moral responsibility.

Volenta wrote:Their sentience matter for me to don't inflict pain and suffering, but I'm still not sure about living. I give them the benefit of doubt by not killing them without a good reason.
Pain and suffering are morally irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is interests. The animal has an interest in not dying- it is sentient and it has wants. A plant does not.

Animals also usually have an interest in not suffering- and that is why we should avoid causing suffering. But that's a secondary matter, which only matters because the animal wants to not suffer.

Volenta wrote:It's objective that we feel emotion and you can explain by evolution where this feelings come from, but that doesn't say anything about morality. Evolution can also produce rapists. Raping is a very good strategy to reproduce, but I don't think you want to have that as a moral baseline. Sadists or psychopaths can get great emotional feelings when seeing a child being tortured, that doesn't mean it's alright (even if everyone was a sadist).
Correct
Volenta wrote: Like I said, even if you don't know the answer, that doesn't mean there is no objective answer to it. It's a practical problem which maybe can't be solved, but that's not the definition of moral relativism as far as I know. I would call it moral ignorance. :)
Correct
thebestofenergy wrote:Plants don't try to avoid danger. Insects do
Correct

thebestofenergy wrote:The quantity of the tought and of the choice that insects have are between plants and humans. Not as much as humans, but more then plants.
Plants are zero- they are fundamentally different. Putting them on a scale isn't meaningful, and might imply to some people that plants have sentience that is just very low (you imply that they have a quantity at all by saying that)- but that's not the case. Why not say "rocks" instead of plants?

I don't think we should even be comparing them on the same scale, because that implies things we do not mean to imply.
I don't think I disagree with what you're saying, but please be careful not to accidentally imply that (carnists will take us out of context if we do).
thebestofenergy wrote:But we have the ability to use the 'golden rule' thanks to evolution (that gave us mirror neurons; not every animal has them).
Psychopaths can too. It's easily an exercise in pure reason. Actually, psychopaths are better at it, because they're not distracted by all of the other nonsense people think is morality but isn't (theistic 'morals', social taboos, etc.).

thebestofenergy wrote:What I said is that we have that moral absolute because of our genes in the first place, not only because of our critical thinking (altough I should have specified that it's not only absolute because of evolution).
Obviously we only exist at all because of our genes, but that's not a useful claim, our genetic predispositions have distracted us by inclining us to superstition and absurd taboos as much as anything. Society contributed more to honing those notions, along with critical thinking which discovered them as objective principles.

People can accidentally assume something is absolute, but you don't get partial credit for guessing, and evolution didn't give us anything beyond the tools (reason) to do it the right way.

I think you're misunderstanding the common application of relativism here.

I guess you read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

And misunderstood this:
Moral relativism may be any of several philosophical positions concerned with the differences in moral judgments across different people and cultures. Descriptive moral relativism holds only that some people do in fact disagree about what is moral; meta-ethical moral relativism holds that in such disagreements, nobody is objectively right or wrong; and normative moral relativism holds that because nobody is right or wrong, we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when we disagree about the morality of it.
(sorry if I'm mistaken in that assumption)

Moral relativism can be analyzed and applied in different ways, but there aren't different 'types' of it in that sense.

1. Descriptive ethics is more anthropology, not philosophy- it deals with what people think in a given culture, etc. It has nothing to do with what we're discussing. The only time it's anything more than anthropology is when one takes the bizarre meta-ethical position that defines ethics as descriptive (which is just bad philosophy).

2. Normative ethics are subservient, or dependent upon a meta-ethical position: not a fundamentally different type of thing. It's just a differnt use- meta Ethics deals with the premises of normative ethics, normative ethics applies those premises to prescriptive ethics.

The vast majority of Meta-ethics and Normative ethics are thus two sides of the same coin, because in order to apply some principle to matters of normative ethics, one depends on the meta-ethical position that the principle is true at all to begin with.

3. Normative relativism doesn't really even exist, because it's not possible to create a consistent prescriptive system within a relativisitic framework. (That is, philosophers do not take this seriously)

Wikipedia summarizes the issue pretty well:
Normative moral relativists believe not only the meta-ethical thesis, but that it has normative implications on what we ought to do. They argue that meta-ethical relativism implies that we ought to tolerate the behavior of others even when it runs counter to our personal or cultural moral standards. Most philosophers do not agree, partially because of the challenges of arriving at an "ought" from relativistic premises.[2] Meta-ethical relativism seems to eliminate the normative relativist's ability to make prescriptive claims. In other words, normative relativism may find it difficult to make a statement like "we think it is moral to tolerate behaviour" without always adding "other people think intolerance of certain behaviours is moral". Philosophers like Russell Blackford even argue that intolerance is, to some degree, important. As he puts it, "we need not adopt a quietism about moral traditions that cause hardship and suffering. Nor need we passively accept the moral norms of our own respective societies, to the extent that they are ineffective or counterproductive or simply unnecessary."[4] That is, it is perfectly reasonable (and practical) for a person or group to defend their subjective values against others, even if there is no universal prescription or morality. We can also criticize other cultures for failing to pursue even their own goals effectively.
The only real type of moral relativism there is, is Moral relativism, which refers to the meta-ethical position that:

terms such as "good", "bad", "right" and "wrong" do not stand subject to universal truth conditions at all; rather, they are relative to the traditions, convictions, or practices of an individual or a group of people.[3] The American anthropologist William Sumner was an influential advocate of this view. In his 1906 work Folkways he argues that what people consider right and wrong is entirely shaped by the traditions, customs and practices of their culture. Moreover, since there is no higher moral standard than the local mores of a culture, no trans-cultural judgement about the rightness or wrongness of a culture's mores can be justified.
That's what moral relativism is.

But none of that really matters here, because what we are discussing is a matter of objective morality- it is the only premise under which any of this conversation makes any sense at all.

If you are taking the meta-ethical stand that morality is relative, we're not only not on the same page, but you're reading an entirely different book.

We can have that discussion if you want.

As Volenta said, this is an objective/absolute that just happens to be unknown.

This is a matter of normative ethics, where we just don't have enough information to arrive at the answer- which does not default to relativism in those cases.

thebestofenergy wrote:If you cannot predict the future and you don't know the exact probability, then I don't think there's practical solution to this case.
You don't need to know the exact probability. Any empirical matter has error bars- all you need to do it gather more information to narrow it down; your answer is, like any answer in science, then contingent on that range and degree of certainty.

thebestofenergy wrote:Yes, that's a dilemma for me aswell. I consider this another moral relative example: you don't know if and how much he/she is going to harm other sentient beings in the future.
Again, that's not what moral relativism is.
As Volenta said, that's just ignorance, not relativism.

Take the case that you have a closed box, and you don't know what's inside.

Somebody says it's air
Another says it's a cat
Another says it's an orange

If that was a relativist situation, we would say that everybody's statement of what's in the box is equally correct- that they're all right, because belief defines reality.

A realist would say that what's in the box is what's in the box, and not knowing what's in the box doesn't make everybody equally right. You can guess, and you might be right, and you might be wrong. Either it's just air, or a cat, or an orange, or something else entirely. Maybe nobody is right. But when they disagree, somebody is definitely wrong- we just don't know who is wrong yet until we have more information about what's in the box.

Moral relativism defeats normative ethics, just as factual relativism defeats any sense of coherent reality.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

thebestofenergy wrote:But that's not driven by survival instincts (which is the case for the insect). That's a non-conscious mechanism built by evolution so that they could survive. In the case of insects, it's a conscious decision.
Guess it depends how you define instinct:
An inborn pattern of behavior that is characteristic of a species and is often a response to specific environmental stimuli
Is consciousness a requirement? But it certainly is formed the way it is by evolution to survive and successfully reproduce.

I'm still wondering how conscious the decision of the insect really is, but there is probably no point in continuing that discussion without some scientific evidence. :P

Edit: oh boy, I appreciate everything you write brimstoneSalad, but that is one big response... Going to read it later on.