Some Everyday Items Contain Animal Products?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Some Everyday Items Contain Animal Products?

Post by Red »

Yeah so I just figured out that most everyday items contain some animal parts.. I feel as though this was something I should have known, yet was ignorant about for the time I was vegan. I feel as though I did something wrong.

So it all started when I was in an argument with a meat-eater. I was obviously winning, then he told me that everyday items such as batteries and glue contain animal gelatin. Of course, skeptical at first, I asked for a source, then he sent me this link. (Just copy link, right click then goto "Go to" site for those technologically impaired ones)

http://deliciousliving.com/blog/10-thin ... egan-arent

Of course, I was shocked to figured this out, and I did some extra digging. I couldn't find any other major sources on this subject. I did make some arguments back, but this has been bugging me for the past 15 minutes now. The guy called me a hypocrite for not being a true pro animal rights activist or whatever. But then again, this is still the internet, so the source may be totally false.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
knowledge is power

Re: Some Everyday Items Contain Animal Products?

Post by knowledge is power »

There's only so much a vegan can do in this animal dependent world. Batteries are in your computer, car, phone etc. It sucks if it's true, but if we carry on and slowly become a more vegan society we will address these issues.
The same goes for the amount of animals that die during the harvesting process of grains we eat. The more humane we get, the more we will sort these things out and make improvements to the industry and machinery to reduce suffering.
'Heresy makes for progress'
- Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner - 1897
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

You try to avoid animal products as much as possible, and since that is what you're advocating you are not a hypocrit.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You can't find other sources to back it up because it's just speculation. The ingredients in these things are proprietary, trade secretes, and not public knowledge.

In old school production, animal products were used extensively. Most glue now is plastic based, and it's likely that animal product addition would weaken the base.
High performance chemistry is very demanding, and raw biological sources, particularly proteins like gelatin, are unlikely to be up to most tasks today.
Almost everything is synthetic now.

There are only a few places where gelatin is still used widely, and it's usually because of cost, not because there aren't replacements, in non-rigorous applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin#Technical_uses