Flame War That I Got In About Veganism

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Flame War That I Got In About Veganism

Post by Red »

Yeah so back in November of 2014, I was more of a Vegan Ambassador/Enforcer, and I often debated against stupid pro-meat eater arguments. So in the video where the link is provided below and I have no idea how to use the URL thingy, if you skip to comic #6, there is an argument between a Derp and Derpina (or as the dorks call it, a guy and a girl) and I decided to say what I wanted to say. Apparently, people constantly bombarded me with stupid arguments and whatnot. Some people went as far to claim that I ruined the comment section (Which I will consider an accomplishment), and one of them went by the name of "Tucker Stackow" (I hate to put actual names, but I have a reason) and that's where another argument arose, and was even longer than the one on my comment. I will admit, it was fun as hell, seeing that i was like the lone ranger, and everyone else was comming at me with their somewhat pathetic attempts to prove plants have feelings, etc. Now my comment doesn't appear at the top but Tucker's does, and that's where you can see a whole argument. Mine is a bit further down, so if you keep scrolling, you'll find it. I have the ugly profile picture with the red. Also, just so you can find it easier, here's what I wrote:
I wrote: #6 "Plants are living things too" is a lame argument when saying that Vegans/Vegetarians also eat living things, and that eating meat is still okay. Yes, while plants are living things, they are not sentient. They can't feel or be empathic towards other beings like chickens, cows, and pigs.
So now I think I went too far, and I do think it was a mistake, considering both comments together share a hefty 200 comments, and the video has 1,600 comments. Do you what I did was insane, or it wasn't really my fault the comment section got ruined, just the people who kept fueling it? And we have all called on a ceasefire, so the argument will now only be revived by trolls, which will happily be ignored.

Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-pkltt-89k
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Flame War That I Got In About Veganism

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I don't think I see the value of such an internet comment section like you do, or how it can be ruined exactly...

I guess you're viewing it like a building's wall by a park, or something, which now has graffiti on it and is ugly for passers by?

It's hard for me to comprehend internet environments as valuable, although I can sort of imagine how you may.
Maybe you can help me understand the problem.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote:I don't think I see the value of such an internet comment section like you do, or how it can be ruined exactly...

I guess you're viewing it like a building's wall by a park, or something, which now has graffiti on it and is ugly for passers by?

It's hard for me to comprehend internet environments as valuable, although I can sort of imagine how you may.
Maybe you can help me understand the problem.
Well I never ruined anything in the first place, it's just people crying just because I'm giving arguments that are damned chances for 12 year olds.
Yeah I guess that analogy cn be used in the situation, although a youtube comment section is the equivlent of a day care. (I'm serious)
While most I consider valuable, like ones that have people debate rationaly, share ideas and opinions, etc.
So I guess our viewpoints on the matter are essentially cut from the same cloth.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Alright, I wouldn't worry about it then. Just keep smacking down those terrible arguments.

Don't forget to remind people that, if they don't want to go vegan, or are skeptical of the science, they could always at least reduce for ethical and health reasons, and/or eat rope grown oysters (which are more environmentally sustainable and probably non-sentient) instead.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Alright, I wouldn't worry about it then. Just keep smacking down those terrible arguments.
That's ma' specialty!
brimstoneSalad wrote:Don't forget to remind people that, if they don't want to go vegan, or are skeptical of the science, they could always at least reduce for ethical and health reasons, and/or eat rope grown oysters (which are more environmentally sustainable and probably non-sentient) instead.
Well reducing is a good way to go vegan. It's like downsizing, and it's kinda how I went vegan. But I guess if they just can't give it up, those rope oysters sound like the best alternative.
-Leonardo da Vinci