Hungry for meat

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Patrick
Diet: Meat-Eater

Hungry for meat

Post by Patrick »

It's been 3 weeks since I'm vegan but I really feel like I want to eat meat. Is there a way to prevent or stop that? Also everyone around me are meat eaters.
garrethdsouza
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hungry for meat

Post by garrethdsouza »

Is your diet balanced? That could bw one reason for any cravings. You could check if its balanced using cronometer.com whether it's an issue.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

garrethdsouza wrote:Is your diet balanced? That could bw one reason for any cravings. You could check if its balanced using cronometer.com whether it's an issue.
Yes but there is only one thing it's that vitamin A and K are very high and the sodium is just a bit higher than the recommended.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The same thing happens as with quitting smoking. When you have a craving, try to distract yourself and think of something else. Remember that cravings only last a couple minutes; it will go away shortly.

Make sure you're eating enough nuts and beans, rich in filling fats and proteins.

Around three weeks seems to be when cravings spike for a lot of people; just keep at it, and they'll go away again soon.
If you stumble, pick yourself up and keep trying.

If you need to, buy some mock meats -- the "fake" vegan meats. Those might help resolve the cravings. Like a nicotine patch. And eat more vegan food to keep full. Bring a bag of snacks with you, so when you have a craving you can munch on some nuts.

Meat is addictive. There's nothing you're nutritionally lacking. You just need to get over the craving bit. I think we've probably all been there.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Okay I see. Well I ate until I was not hungry anymore so for now I'm not hungry for meat anymore. And yeah I hope this will go away soon. It lasted minutes like you said.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Great!

Just keep in mind that cravings always just last a few minutes. If you fixate on them they seem to last forever, but if you get distracted by something else, they're gone as quickly as they came.

A big thing that leads people to stumble (whether quitting smoking or meat) is to fixate on cravings, and get into the mindset that they're always craving, or that the craving will never end until satisfied.

Cravings are sort of like hiccups in that way. It seems like you'll never stop hiccuping, but then as soon as you get distracted you stop hiccuping without even realizing it stopped.

And as you did, just keeping full (and busy/entertained/distracted) is very useful too. Cravings come when you're hungry or idle.