So, apparently I was wrong

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
HyperSquirrel
Diet: Meat-Eater

So, apparently I was wrong

Post by HyperSquirrel »

In my original introduction post, I stated that my parents knew I wanted to be a vegan but didn't know that I was an atheist. While it's still true that they don't know I was an atheist, they didn't know I wanted to be vegan either - or at least, not at the time. Anyway, I told them that I wanted to be vegan when I moved out (so it would have literally NO effect on their lives) and they; for some reason, made a big deal out of it. They said that "humans are omnivores, we need to eat meat." So I tried explaining that while we can eat meat, we don't NEED to. Of course they didn't listen and just spoke over me when I tried to bring up any rational point (because you know what they say, "if you can't beat 'em, silence them") and they kept bringing up what I said (mocking me of course, because that's how you know you have the intellectual high ground) and still wouldn't let me bring up my point. So, guess I'll just have to go along with them until I move out in like 8 bloody years. "Yay."
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Re: So, apparently I was wrong

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I know its annoying, but realize they arent doing it to be cruel. They care for you, and are ignorant of veganism. It will most likely be a long road of educating them. My suggestion is to start small with what you bring up. Have answers ready for their questions or comments.
Ive always thought the hardest part of being a vegan is dealing with others (especially supportive family).
Realize that you want to go vegan for yourself... you dont have to convince them to accept it, or being vegan themselves.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Just refuse to eat meat. It's iiterally like forcing someone to smoke against their will (similar effects on health).
Your parents seem like complete fucktards (condolences), so there is probably no way to argue with them. Maybe just use some appeal to authority and point to some prominent vegan doctors and their work: Kim A. Williams, Caldwell Esselstyn, John McDougall and Michael Greger.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

They sound emotionally abusive; it's possible to deal with that, but not by letting them walk all over you. This kind of submission will unfortunately lead to depression. You need to be who you want to be, or it will only lead to you resenting your parents, or worse.

If they aren't likely to beat you physically, you could do as knot said, and just not eat any meat.
They probably won't lock you inside and make you starve. But just in case, tell somebody who knows who/where you are that if they don't hear from you to call the authorities.

I'm sorry I don't know more about the state of welfare for minors where you are. There's also the option to become emancipated. We will help you with that if you need.
HyperSquirrel

Post by HyperSquirrel »

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are emotionally abusive; just very, very uneducated in the matter. They're still going to end up serving meals with meat and, as always I'll say that I literally like nothing about meat and they probably won't listen. Although, my mum seems to have come to at least a small compromise in the sense that they are reducing the amount of meat in meals and replacing it with vegetables, also she got soy and coconut milk for things like breakfast. So my plan is just to help with food shops and through as much vegan food as possible in the trolley.
HyperSquirrel

Post by HyperSquirrel »

When I said that they mocked me, I was talking about my brothers- but that was just them being in petty. Ironically enough, my younger brother (who allegedly "loves" animals and wants to be a vet) was the most critical of my decision;
despite being the least informed about it.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

HyperSquirrel wrote:When I said that they mocked me, I was talking about my brothers- but that was just them being in petty. Ironically enough, my younger brother (who allegedly "loves" animals and wants to be a vet) was the most critical of my decision;
despite being the least informed about it.
So damn hypocritical... Maybe you should ask him what difference there is between a pig and a dog, or something?

Nice to hear that your parents are at least reducing the amount of animal products they buy, and that they're getting alternatives.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Well, that sounds much more promising. Sounds like you can move the whole family closer, slowly. And they should accept it soon. Just make sure to keep pushing the health angle.

Your younger brother is the most hostile because it made him the most uncomfortable. Cognitive dissonance. This is actually very common.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

HyperSquirrel wrote:I wouldn't go as far as to say they are emotionally abusive; just very, very uneducated in the matter. They're still going to end up serving meals with meat and, as always I'll say that I literally like nothing about meat and they probably won't listen. Although, my mum seems to have come to at least a small compromise in the sense that they are reducing the amount of meat in meals and replacing it with vegetables, also she got soy and coconut milk for things like breakfast. So my plan is just to help with food shops and through as much vegan food as possible in the trolley.
I too live with my parents still, and they are not vegan. The best way to deal with that is to do shopping yourself and possibly even cooking yourself. You'll probably manage.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum