Why I'm vegetarian, and not vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Thewhovianathogwarts
Diet: Vegan

Why I'm vegetarian, and not vegan

Post by Thewhovianathogwarts »

So, I don't have anything against meat-eaters or vegans. You do what you do. This is just my reasoning. I never liked the idea of animals being killed. Humans are animals after all, so why should we be treated better than other animals? This is why I don't eat meat. The reason why I still eat eggs, dairy, etc. is that no unnecessary death or harm is involved. Well, at least where I get it from. I don't buy animal products from the store because I don't know how the animals the products came from were treated. But, I buy animals products from a local farm, owned by one of my good friends, because I know that the animals are treated very well. In conclusion, I'm cool with eating it if no animals were killed or harmed to produce it. You can eat whatever you want, again, and I won't judge, but this is just my opinion.
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Why I'm vegetarian, and not vegan

Post by EquALLity »

Thewhovianthogwarts wrote:So, I don't have anything against meat-eaters or vegans. You do what you do.
Well, don't you think that it's wrong to hurt and kill animals?

I'd be fine with them doing what they do if they'd let others (the animals) do what they want to do (live).
Thewhovianhogwarts wrote:Humans are animals after all, so why should we be treated better than other animals?
Well it's not like all animals are equal.

It's better to kill a fly than a human.

Anyway, I don't see a rational reason why anybody would oppose your reasons for vegetarianism on moral grounds. I think it's pretty much the same as veganism, ethically.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Thewhovianathogwarts

Re: EquALLity's comment

Post by Thewhovianathogwarts »

Sorry! I do think the AND NOT VEGAN part was not necessary, and that's a mistake on my part! I thought I should have included it because one of my vegan friends told me that it was wrong to eat animal products because they could be mistreated, so I felt like I should clear it up with my post. For the bit about me letting meat eaters do what they do: I do think it's wrong, but I won't yell at people for eating meat. I just want to put my view out there and hopefully let logic speak for itself. Regarding the bit about animals being equal, I do agree, it's better to kill a fly than a human. But it's not good to kill anything, even if killing one animal is better than killing another. Again, all of these were my bad for not clearing it up more and explaining myself, and I'm sorry about that!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm glad you see killing animals as wrong and cleared that up.

Yes, there's usually no use in yelling at people. It's better just to educate where we can.

Your case is a rather rare exception, there are very few farms that do not kill or abuse their animals. I'm not sure how your friend makes money -- unless it's just their personal pets, and not really a commercial farm?

A farm that doesn't abuse and kill animals would have to sell the animal products for so much it wouldn't be profitable.

For example, as I discussed elsewhere, eggs would cost about $2 per egg or $24 per dozen.

It just doesn't compete with abusive commercial farms that can sell eggs for $4 a dozen to even $2 a dozen.

If you don't kill all of the male chicks, it doubles your cost. If you don't kill the hens as soon as their egg production declines, again, it increases your cost. If you don't kill them when they get sick, again, it increases cost.
Being humane to your chickens and treating them like sentient beings makes it too expensive to produce eggs.

Similar is true of milk. E.g. taking the male calves from their mothers to keep more milk, killing them for veal, and killing the cows when they get older (not even very old, just past peak production) so they don't waste money on retirement. And not providing high quality medical care.

Of course, as EquALLity mentioned, there are also serious negative health effects of milk and eggs. But like drugs, it's really up to the individual if they want to increase their own personal risk of cancer and heart disease.
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

How do u know for sure the animals aren't abused?

There are also ecological costs to animal products including in vegetarianism
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wM4q6bNHpU8

There are vegan ice cream recipes online that are fairly simple + healthier, would be an effective alternative to animal product dependence.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
Vegantichrist

Post by Vegantichrist »

I do believe that vegetarians do just as much harm as meat eaters. You may not be consuming the actual meat, but you do still support the slaughter of these animals. What do you think happens when a dairy cow can no longer produce milk? They are slaughtered and made into a big mac. Same with the chickens that can no longer lay eggs. The dairy cows calves are stolen from them after 2 days, most are shackled to prevent muscle growth and fed a liquid diet of soy until after four months of a miserable existence they are slaughtered for veil. Cows usually live around 20 years, but dairy cattle live about 4 years. Not to mention the casein in milk and high cholesterol content off eggs are terrible for you. Just somethings to consider. You've almost eradicated animal product from your diet. Why stop at dairy and eggs?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Vegantichrist wrote:You've almost eradicated animal product from your diet. Why stop at dairy and eggs?
She didn't. She went vegan after trying the Trader Joe's icecream! :D
Note below her profile picture.

Here's the thread:
https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... 082#p11082

Well spoken post though!
Vegantichrist

Post by Vegantichrist »

oh! you're right! lol! right on!