Oil

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Oil

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I have recently stopped consuming palm oil and coconut oil. Are there any other vegetable oils that I should avoid for environmental or ethics related reasons?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Oil

Post by brimstoneSalad »

As far as I know, just tropical stuff.

It's a good idea to cut back on them for health reasons though. And try to buy cheap oil. Cheap oil usually means high agricultural yield. Don't buy weird stuff like walnut oil (just eat walnuts). Canola oil (low erucic acid rapeseed oil) is probably the best oil you'll find.

I would also say: As a vegan ambassador, it's difficult to extract health from ethics. If you eat unhealthfully, that affects your health and public perception. But at the same time, we also need to eat delicious (to carnists) things. So, choosing the more healthy oils in moderation I would guess is the best way to achieve both ends in balance.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Should I also avoid tropical fruits? For example, should I not consume coconuts? What about coconut milk? If I can consume them, but not oils, then what makes it different?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:Should I also avoid tropical fruits? For example, should I not consume coconuts? What about coconut milk? If I can consume them, but not oils, then what makes it different?
Well, those are largely fiber, so you're eating a lot less of it in that form.
But yes, I would think about cutting back on those.
Coconut is not as big of an issue because the demand is lower, but it won't necessarily stay that way. I wouldn't make it a regular part of my diet.