Is Veganism Elite, Expensive

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
garrethdsouza
Diet: Vegan

Is Veganism Elite, Expensive

Post by garrethdsouza »

Is veganism elite and more expensive, for instance from where you come from? Imo it would vary between places;
A carnist in a metropolis that has meat and dairy from grain/pasture fed animals would certainly be using far more resources than a vegan in most cases https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWJa--XL274

There are other cases where it would be more difficult/expensive to be vegan https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6rL0N6-gqXM
but certainly calling veganism as elite/expensive is a generalization. And i hear this claim most often from carnists in metropolises. What are peoples views on it?

Personally where I'm from, considering government subsidies for dairy and since non home made non dairy alternatives are more expensive, it could be a bit more expensive in comparison to lacto vegetarianism to an extent. But maybe not if you make home made plant milks in the long run.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Is Veganism Elite, Expensive

Post by EquALLity »

"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Is it more expensive to be a vegan vs nonvegan where you come from?
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

garrethdsouza wrote:But maybe not if you make home made plant milks in the long run.
Or just not drink plant milk, which certainly isn't a nutritional necessity in any sense (it's usually lacking in fiber, which is removed from the seeds when it's produced).
The things that are expensive are usually the specialty products, which aren't really necessary, but people get the impression that they are anyway.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

garrethdsouza wrote:Is it more expensive to be a vegan vs nonvegan where you come from?
Not where I live, nope.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

garrethdsouza wrote:Is it more expensive to be a vegan vs nonvegan where you come from?
Not if you replace meat with anything else than mockmeats.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum