Peer reviewed scientific studies on animal sentience.

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
wfatheist
Diet: Meat-Eater

Peer reviewed scientific studies on animal sentience.

Post by wfatheist »

Hey guys can anyone here link me some peer reviewed scientific studies on animal sentience? I'm arguing with a friend about this right now and he is trying to discredit anything I say without the backing of peer reviewed.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Peer reviewed scientific studies on animal sentience.

Post by EquALLity »

I don't have one, but:

Only and all sentient beings have interests, and many animals clearly have interests, because they do things for enjoyment.

Dogs, animals who are apparently not as smart as pigs, like to play fetch etc., for example. They have an interest in playing games.

They also obviously have an interest in avoiding pain.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Peer reviewed scientific studies on animal sentience.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Sentience is a more complex quality, made up of several simpler ones. So, you won't find a study on sentience, but you will on its components.

E.g. you'd want to find one showing that animals have true intelligence (as demonstrated by associative learning), and that animals have sense experience (as demonstrated by sight, sound, touch, pain, etc.).

Once you've shown those to be true, the logical conclusion is that they are sentient (experience sense, and understand that sense in the context of interests as proven by learning from it and responding intelligently to it and not just by reflex). It's kind of a 2+2 = 4 thing.

If he doesn't understand that, I'm not sure what to say other than showing him the definition of sentience and trying to help him understand logic.

But here's something to ask: What does he think "sentience" means?