CSS/ HTML Help Needed for Main Site

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Re: CSS/ HTML Help Needed for Main Site

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Thanks Anon0045 for your assistance, however Im working on a new version of the website using a new template. Im reworking all my posts.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

Okay, that's cool. I wonder if the same problem will occur anyway though. We'll see.
justCurious
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by justCurious »

Dudes, If you ever need help with anything like this in the future I will have a quick look for you. I am a software engineer. I do this stuff day in day out.

I want to be clear though that although I'm willing to help with Vegan/Atheist agendas I would prefer it if members of the forum use my skills sparingly since it can become quite time consuming. I'm willing to help with anything that gets the Vegan and or Atheist message heard on a bigger scale. Personal favours are not acceptable.

I hope you understand and respect my bluntness.

PEACE!
justCurious
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by justCurious »

Also, while I'm on, can I recommend concrete5 rather than wordpress. It's much easier to fix problems and write new plugins for. wp is a nightmare.

check it out: http://www.concrete5.org/
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

justCurious wrote:Also, while I'm on, can I recommend concrete5 rather than wordpress. It's much easier to fix problems and write new plugins for. wp is a nightmare.

check it out: http://www.concrete5.org/
To write a Wordpress plugin, all you have to do is add a comment at the top of a file, then just add whatever code you want to be run. The process is very easy. Documentation in Wordpress is really good, and that helps a lot too. But I suppose you're talking about other issues.The problem I see it is when you depend on big plugins like Buddypress which have awful documentation, or when you inherit themes which uses hooks everywhere, then it can become a mess. Hooks give you less overview and leads to do more searches, but often times the names of the hooks are good enough that you'll understand where you're at.

I've not done any projects in Concrete5, but I like that it's built on a solid MVC framework like Zend, because in Wordpress you're pretty much free to do anything, which can easily lead to tons of functions and bad structure. I installed it on my computer, and the javascript make the computer work a lot, making the experience a little slower than usual and even froze at one point when I was moving a block, and I have a pretty decent computer, but other than that, you can do more in the edit mode as a user which is nice. There are Wordpress plugins that do similar things, but they often costs money and are really buggy.