Are the security questions hard enough?

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

knot
Master in Training
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: Are the security questions hard enough?

Post by knot » Fri May 15, 2015 8:48 pm

TheVeganAtheist wrote:In case everyone didnt get the email, I have purchased the SSL for the forum and website.
Nice with the SSL! ^^ Just a tip: it seems like SSL is enforced on theveganatheist.com, but not on theveganatheist.com/forum
If you can you should also force it on the forum. At the moment you only get SSL on the forum by either going through theveganatheist.com or typing in htps:// manually

User avatar
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 9:39 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: Canada

Post by TheVeganAtheist » Sat May 16, 2015 9:09 am

knot wrote:
TheVeganAtheist wrote:In case everyone didnt get the email, I have purchased the SSL for the forum and website.
Nice with the SSL! ^^ Just a tip: it seems like SSL is enforced on theveganatheist.com, but not on theveganatheist.com/forum
If you can you should also force it on the forum. At the moment you only get SSL on the forum by either going through theveganatheist.com or typing in htps:// manually
ya I realized that, and I posted on the phpbb forum and it seems to be a more difficult issue. If someone understands this stuff, and willing to help, please take a look at this thread and help me through it.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2315881
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 9494
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat May 16, 2015 9:30 am

Yeah, that's not a phpBB thing, it's a redirect thing with the host. You can fix that from your cpanel, when you log into it to manage your hosting account. It's relatively easy.

This might help: http://www.webhostinghub.com/help/learn ... to-use-ssl

I fixed it from within the forums with a word censor (since it was causing logouts whenever the user followed a link), but a redirect is the proper way.

If you can't find it, contact the web host for support.

User avatar
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Posts: 824
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 9:39 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: Canada

Post by TheVeganAtheist » Sat May 16, 2015 9:53 am

I contacted my host and it seems they were able to fix it. HTTPS:// should now be forced always.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics

User avatar
Classic
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 9:36 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Classic » Sat May 16, 2015 10:03 am

I was asked "Muhammad supposedly flew on a ______ to heaven". Being partly ignorant when it comes to such technological logistics, I thought the answer would be reviewed by an administrator. So my answer was "winged horse" as Dawkins called it on the Al Jazeera interview with Mehdi Hassan. Between brackets I also added "Buraq" as it is called (in Arabic) in the Islamic mythology, since I am an Ex-Muslim. Anyway.

Are you looking for other suggestions?

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 9494
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat May 16, 2015 10:15 am

Classic wrote:I was asked "Muhammad supposedly flew on a ______ to heaven". Being partly ignorant when it comes to such technological logistics, I thought the answer would be reviewed by an administrator. So my answer was "winged horse" as Dawkins called it on the Al Jazeera interview with Mehdi Hassan. Between brackets I also added "Buraq" as it is called (in Arabic) in the Islamic mythology, since I am an Ex-Muslim. Anyway.

Are you looking for other suggestions?
It's automatic, not reviewed.

Both of those answers would have been acceptable. There's a list of something like 50 acceptable answers. Pegasus and Unicorn would have also worked. But I'm not sure if they would have been accepted if you put them together or added brackets. Did that work?

User avatar
Classic
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 9:36 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Classic » Sat May 16, 2015 10:33 am

brimstoneSalad wrote: It's automatic, not reviewed.

Both of those answers would have been acceptable. There's a list of something like 50 acceptable answers. Pegasus and Unicorn would have also worked. But I'm not sure if they would have been accepted if you put them together or added brackets. Did that work?
I see.

No, it didn't, but you're excused. My ignorance was to blame.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 9494
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Sat May 16, 2015 11:45 am

Classic wrote: No, it didn't, but you're excused. My ignorance was to blame.
It also accepts several different transliterations, and you could even have input the answer in Arabic. I like to think I write security question answer lists like a boss. :D

PrincessPeach
Senior Member
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:36 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by PrincessPeach » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Congrats on getting SSL I feel safer! Now I wonder did you take away the security questions and replace them with a captcha code email verification?
Don't be a waste of molecules

User avatar
Antiheld
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:33 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Meat-Eater
Location: Wherever the wind or my legs take me.

Post by Antiheld » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Tofu is to soybeans as Seitan is to _____
This was the question with which I was tested upon registering a new account. I did not know what Seitan is so I did a quick google search and 1 minute later wrote "wheat" as the answer. That does mean that a spammer capable of understanding English could easily do the same.
Name a famous Atheist 'horseman'
The google search of "atheist horsemen" (without "") leads one to the immediate explanation and the 4 answers. (I wasn't familiar with the term before)
www.newstatesman.com wrote:The name "Four Horsemen" refers to R****** D******, C********* H********, D***** D****** and S** H***** and was first used during a 2007 debate in which they discussed their criticisms of religion and advocated critical thinking.Dec 22, 2011
(I starred them so that some spammer can't simply find the answer in the forum)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests