Are the security questions hard enough?

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Are the security questions hard enough?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Yeah, it's a tricky balance between easy to find answers and difficult ones.

It's important that you were able to learn that seitan is made from wheat easily, I'm glad that worked.
The main thing, I think, that it's stopping is the bots, but it doesn't stop human spammers who can speak English.

After implementing the Q&A spamming dropped something like 95%. We used to get two a day, now it's more like one every ten days or so.

We could limit the e-mail addresses allowed to help too. There are a few domains that are particularly spammy.
Antiheld
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by Antiheld »

brimstoneSalad wrote:We could limit the e-mail addresses allowed to help too. There are a few domains that are particularly spammy.
Especially things like 10minutemail.com or trashmail.com!
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Yeah, it's a tricky balance between easy to find answers and difficult ones.

It's important that you were able to learn that seitan is made from wheat easily, I'm glad that worked.
The main thing, I think, that it's stopping is the bots, but it doesn't stop human spammers who can speak English.

After implementing the Q&A spamming dropped something like 95%. We used to get two a day, now it's more like one every ten days or so.

We could limit the e-mail addresses allowed to help too. There are a few domains that are particularly spammy.
Why not just make your own captcha codes ??
I know a lot of people are not finishing their profiles because they are lazy & don't know teh answers.
Don't be a waste of molecules
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

PrincessPeach wrote: I know a lot of people are not finishing their profiles because they are lazy & don't know teh answers.
How do you know this?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:
How do you know this?
Because people are lazy, duh!
How many new accounts have you generated from your new youtube series promoting TVA Forum..?
Doesn't look like as many as there should be.
Look's like you are having fun with adobe, you can make your own captchacodes...
People don't want to have to google their answers plain and simple if they don't know it most people will say, ay fuck it I was just checking it out anyways.
http://www.the-art-of-web.com/php/captcha/

Also is there a reason I can't make a hyperlink ??
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote:PrincessPeach wrote:
I know a lot of people are not finishing their profiles because they are lazy & don't know teh answers.
That is a concern. It might explain why we aren't getting many stupid people on here, particularly theists who may not know the answers to the question and were only planning to come here to post drive by sermons.

This may or may not be a good thing. It would be great to get more theists here though, even stupid ones.

PrincessPeach wrote:Also is there a reason I can't make a hyperlink ??
It's been temporarily disabled due to spammers.

If we find a way to permanently disable it for newly registered users, we should be able to remove the registration questions entirely or make them very easy. Spammers have little interest posting somewhere they can't post clickable links.