Do we have enough Theists on the forum?

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Do we have enough Theists on the forum?

Post by Red »

Theists seem to not be around this forum a whole lot, I've only seen about 5-7 theists in whole on this forum, some of which are currently inactive. As far as I know, the only theists I've seen are all Christian (Not including "VeganChristian" because he's an ass) We haven't really seen Muslim or Jewish people on the forum. I really want to debate more theists of all different religious standpoints, and even see them debate each other. But when I say I want more theists, I want theists who can admit they're wrong, and don't use redundant arguments. I've tried to get my theist friends to look at the forum, but they are reluctant to do so, most likely due to them hating TheVeganAtheist, because they think he always bashes on religion. I dunno, maybe I'm being too cynical. Well what do you think? Do you think we need more Theists?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Do we have enough Theists on the forum?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:I want theists who can admit they're wrong, and don't use redundant arguments.
Those kinds of theists don't stay theists. They give up religion quickly once they start discussing it. You have to catch them at a particular time, right as they get on the internet. They're rare finds.

It's like in particle physics, how some particles decay in a fraction of a nano-second, and it's really hard to study them.
noelle

Post by noelle »

You have to wonder what incentive theists have to stay on a forum like this. I certainly would not enjoy frequenting a Christian Vegan discussion forum.

Although a variety of religious opinions is ideal, I would not expect theists to want to stay long. It isn't like they come here wanting to be converted.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

noelle wrote:You have to wonder what incentive theists have to stay on a forum like this. I certainly would not enjoy frequenting a Christian Vegan discussion forum.

Although a variety of religious opinions is ideal, I would not expect theists to want to stay long. It isn't like they come here wanting to be converted.
I think you're absolutely right. Most theists that have been active here were only active in a pretty narrow range of topics, and they didn't stay active for long.

Because it's an atheist and vegan forum, it's mostly interesting for people that hold those views. In topics where the subject normally hasn't much to do with atheism or veganism, we vegan atheists sometimes like to bring it up from our perspective. I can understand that this isn't always very atractive for theists and meat eaters.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

id like for more theists to join the forum, but they seem to pop in and out, rarely staying longer then a short time in order to express their theism.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:id like for more theists to join the forum, but they seem to pop in and out, rarely staying longer then a short time in order to express their theism.
Well, we could maybe attract some good old fashioned closed minded theists. It's hard to get them to stick around, in part because they'd feel outnumbered, in part because their motivations are proselytism based, and if they think they aren't making headway, or they're being challenged in ways they can't respond, they'll leave.

Large numbers with high turnover may be the only way to maintain a population.

As I mentioned before, offering a reward might be one way.

Maybe devote a small ad section of the site and forum, to be occupied by the rational theist of the week? They get to link to their sites or something.
That would be one possible form of non-monetary reward. Might help?
metalized

Post by metalized »

why don't you make a discount for the vegan t-shirts for theists who post regularly for a longer period of time? make it like a point system: 10 posts in a period of 10 days (no consequent and not on the same thread) get you 1 point. with 10 points you get 3% off. 20 points get you 5% off, etc... :)