Multi Quoting

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Post Reply
Daz
Newbie
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:04 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Multi Quoting

Post by Daz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi,
How do I separate quotes in a reply/response?

Cheers

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Surround the text you want to quote with a quote tag.

It looks like this:

Code: Select all

[quote]Things and stuff.[/quote]
Things and stuff.
If you want to quote a particular user, add =username
Like this

Code: Select all

[quote=Daz]How do I separate quotes in a reply/response?[/quote]
Daz wrote:How do I separate quotes in a reply/response?
If you spell the username correctly, the user will be alerted that you quoted him or her. I often copy+paste to username to make sure it's right and I didn't make a typo.

This way you can quote multiple users in different places, or break down a comment to respond to it part by part.

User avatar
NonZeroSum
Master in Training
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: North Wales, UK

Post by NonZeroSum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:19 pm
If you spell the username correctly, the user will be alerted that you quoted him or her. I often copy+paste to username to make sure it's right and I didn't make a typo.
A few people have quoted me this way and hasn't shown up in my notifications, I think you need to include "post id" by clicking the quote button in the top right hand corner of the post you're quoting, to get that blue hyperlink:

Image
Unofficial librarian of vegan and socialist movements, video and writing culture.

PhiloVegan Wiki: https://tinyurl.com/y7jc6kh6
Vegan Video Library: https://tinyurl.com/yb3udm8x
Activist Journeys YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/y9vwdcj3

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 pm

NonZeroSum wrote: A few people have quoted me this way and hasn't shown up in my notifications, I think you need to include "post id" by clicking the quote button in the top right hand corner of the post you're quoting, to get that blue hyperlink:
Aha. It might be the user_id part that makes it show up.

Let me know if you got an alert from this one, I took out everything else:

Code: Select all

[quote=NonZeroSum user_id=3568][/quote]

User avatar
NonZeroSum
Master in Training
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: North Wales, UK

Post by NonZeroSum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:52 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 pm
NonZeroSum wrote: A few people have quoted me this way and hasn't shown up in my notifications, I think you need to include "post id" by clicking the quote button in the top right hand corner of the post you're quoting, to get that blue hyperlink:
Aha. It might be the user_id part that makes it show up.

Let me know if you got an alert from this one, I took out everything else:

Code: Select all

[quote=NonZeroSum user_id=3568][/quote]
Sorted :D

That's cool, so just the user_id bit you can find from hitting quote button in corner, but don't need the hyperlink back to original post or time:

Image
Unofficial librarian of vegan and socialist movements, video and writing culture.

PhiloVegan Wiki: https://tinyurl.com/y7jc6kh6
Vegan Video Library: https://tinyurl.com/yb3udm8x
Activist Journeys YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/y9vwdcj3

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:01 pm

...
Now will it alert you with only user ID? (just curious)

Code: Select all

[quote user_id=3568]
...
[/quote]

User avatar
NonZeroSum
Master in Training
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan
Location: North Wales, UK

Post by NonZeroSum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:06 pm

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:01 pm
...
Now will it alert you with only user ID? (just curious)

Code: Select all

[quote user_id=3568]
...
[/quote]
Nada.
Unofficial librarian of vegan and socialist movements, video and writing culture.

PhiloVegan Wiki: https://tinyurl.com/y7jc6kh6
Vegan Video Library: https://tinyurl.com/yb3udm8x
Activist Journeys YouTube: https://tinyurl.com/y9vwdcj3

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests