Youtube Channel

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Youtube Channel

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I think we need a hundred subscribers to set a channel name:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwukGkl3cV4J59K5wcLzBKw

If you can subscribe, maybe we can get up there and make a URL pretty soon.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Youtube Channel

Post by Jebus »

96 to go.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

The first 100 tend to be easy to get if you put out quality content. However, since we're focusing on Veganism here, it might be a bit harder to gather followers, especially since we're focusing on educational topics, so it might take a while.
Should we make an introduction video?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 pm The first 100 tend to be easy to get if you put out quality content. However, since we're focusing on Veganism here, it might be a bit harder to gather followers, especially since we're focusing on educational topics, so it might take a while.
Quite possible.
RedAppleGP wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 pm Should we make an introduction video?
Yes, I think so.

Here's a script:
Welcome to the Philosophical Vegan channel

Our goal is to stimulate and inform debates on philosophy and science around vegan issues, and vegan adjacent issues such as environmentalism, ethics, and activism.

If you haven't, be sure to check out the forum and wiki. These serve as the basis for most subject matter on the channel.

Philosophical Vegan deals mainly with meta-activism, as a resource for vegans and our allies working toward environmental and animal welfare ends, but we welcome non-vegans for discussion and debate on the subjects too and we hope these videos can be entertaining and educational for anybody interested in philosophy, ethics, or environmentalism.

Beyond forum and wiki content, you'll find debates, philosophical criticism, and collaborations here on the channel, as well as Q&As

We mean to help foster community of rational minded vegans and curious allies on youtube and beyond.

The most important thing is being willing to question assumptions and go beyond dogma to support our values with reasoned arguments and evidence.
We hold that it is reasoned argument, not emotional appeal, that will move the open minded among the intellectual influencers out there to go vegan.
Sometimes not right away. But we can at least put some pebbles in shoes.

Not that we're opposed to cute animal videos, or the shocking ones in the right context. That can work for some, particularly as a final push for somebody who already agrees with veganism on a philosophical level, but it's not our focus, so you won't see very much in the way of slaughterhouse footage here and certainly not without some warning. You might see more cute animals though.
Can you record that? It's a quick way to get started, and shorter than the Benatar video.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Alright, I'll get to that. I can also edit it into a video. I'll consider maybe adding some background music. Any recommendations?
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:14 pm Alright, I'll get to that. I can also edit it into a video. I'll consider maybe adding some background music. Any recommendations?
I wouldn't worry about music for now, for videos with a lot of speaking it's usually distracting. If you find something you like for the start of the video that might work. Stock effects are usually not great, though.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

This may not seem ideal, but I think you should water down the Vegan message, and ...pander to the ignorant crowd.

Try to bring in people who aren't looking for Veganism.

Animal cruelty (without mentioning Veganism) and basic morality should be a start.

Vegans are typically met with mockery (sad, but the PsYcHo aint gonna blow smoke...you know where), so if you want to get people on your side,, don't make your message something only other Vegans would pay attention to.

Militant Vegans have made it much harder to get carnist to pay attention; if you want this to succeed, you have to be the opposite of them.
Focus on the cruelty of animals, but don't be "better than thouh" about it.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Eh, you might have a point. I think our name might be alienating to non-vegans. If you're like TVA, you can bring in the Atheist crowd, and they might be more open minded to hear more about veganism. I feel as though people might feel as though we're just a big vegan circle jerk, even though we're planning on making videos that disagree with some popular vegans.

We have to tell people that vegans aren't just a bunch of aging hippie liberal douches, and that we welcome opposing viewpoints.
I think mentioning animal cruelty is a good idea, but it's almost impossible to not mention veganism without looking like a momo. Like, what the hell are you planning on doing about it?

I dunno, any ideas?
-Leonardo da Vinci
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

The skeptical/rational ethicist? Too vague?
Last edited by DarlBundren on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I want to keep the Vegan name, but we need something to show that we're not typical vagans. I hope the introduction video will be enough.
-Leonardo da Vinci