Hosting cost

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

knot
Master in Training

Hosting cost

Post by knot »

Who pays, and how much is it?
Maybe make a donation button? :o
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Hosting cost

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It might be worth setting up a Patreon. I'll try to look into it soon.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Yeah, I brought it up in the Discord server, since I'm aware that these things cost money. I'll give the server about $5-$10 monthly. Actually, scratch that. How much does it cost on average? I'll give a percentage of whatever the hell that is.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Who pays it currently?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Costs are about $20 a month. If a few people want to chip in, though, I'd be more keen on using the money to hire an editor to help flesh out the wiki based on the forum posts NonZeroSum has organized; the wiki will Google index well and serve as a resource and draw traffic to the site. I'm sorry to say I've been pretty busy the past few weeks. Once I get some time I'll resume work editing the pages there.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I haven't done crowdfunding before except for an album on indiegogo where my Mom let me use her credit card.

I do have a personal debit card, but not a credit card. I assume Patreon would accept debit? If all works out I'll probably donate a large chunk of cash at first, then continue with small donations monthly.

If worse comes to worse I'll get one of my parents to set up a monthly donation to it and I'll pay them back for it.

I am pretty lazy and don't use my debit online much, so it may take a bit for me to figure out how to set it up if they accept debit.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

On second thought, donating a large amount of cash initially doesn't make that much sense. I'll just go for a more stable, larger monthly payment.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Dream Sphere wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am On second thought, donating a large amount of cash initially doesn't make that much sense. I'll just go for a more stable, larger monthly payment.
Thank you, that would be a great help. I'll try to set something up pretty soon.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:50 pm
Dream Sphere wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:13 am On second thought, donating a large amount of cash initially doesn't make that much sense. I'll just go for a more stable, larger monthly payment.
Thank you, that would be a great help. I'll try to set something up pretty soon.
No problem. What you in particular, as well as others, have brought to the forum is well worth helping keep this website afloat for as long as possible. It's been extremely informative and enlightening. You've done an excellent job here. :) I just wish that there were more people who would discuss issues on here, but the present content is well worth donating monthly indefinitely as long as the occasional new person comes upon this forum/the wiki to learn from the content.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Thank you so much for your support. :)

https://www.patreon.com/philosophicalvegan

I'm not sure what to put for the goals. Mostly more just means I can spend more time on the Wiki and do less of other work. And time editing videos too, eventually. If we have enough per month that it's worth it to transfer money and keep track of contributions, we could fund a second or third editor to work on transferring content too.

Ideally I'd like to outsource to a professional editor/s to convert content from the forum to the Wiki, so I can focus on original content. But we'll probably need like $500 a month to make that worth while. At this point I have no idea what kind of contributions we're looking at.