How to quote on the forum

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

How to quote on the forum

Post by miniboes »

Over time, I've seen several forum members struggling with how to quote properly, Darl being the most recent example. If I'm busy, I tend to go off my notifications to see whether someone is addressing me anywhere. If quoting is done improperly it doesn't result in a notification.

The button

There's a button on the top right of every post* that will open a reply with the entire post quoted and the user addressed. It will even include a link to the post and the time and date on which it was posted.
160c07ff3fae4cfe88fee44430b83d23.png
Screenshot_11.png
Manual
The code for addressed quotes look like this:

Code: Select all

[quote=NAME][/quote]
"=NAME" is optional, and of course you substitute "NAME" with the name of whomever you want to quote. If you include it it looks like this:
Peter wrote:Animals have feelings too
If you don't, it looks like this:
How about plants though?
Hope this helps :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: How to quote on the forum

Post by DarlBundren »

I feel scolded here :D . I tend to avoid quoting when it's clear to whom I am addressing my message. But, when it's not, I do quote.
miniboes wrote:If quoting is done improperly it doesn't result in a notification
Fair enough. Did I do it properly?
How do I change the colour if I do it manually? It doesn's seem to work when the name is between brackets.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by miniboes »

DarlBundren wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 amI feel scolded here :D .
Haha, I just noticed you weren't doing it right and since we've had a lot of people having trouble with it I thought I'd make a topic.
DarlBundren wrote:Fair enough. Did I do it properly?
Yes :)
DarlBundren wrote:How do I change the colour if I do it manually? It doesn's seem to work when the name is between brackets.
The color changes because if you hit the quote button it includes the post id and puts a hyperlink on your name;

Code: Select all

[quote=DarlBundren post_id=30383 time=1492005250 user_id=1569]
That means if you click it you'll be taken to the quoted post. That's quite useful if the post is in another thread but otherwise it's unnecessary. I don't know of any way to find out the post id other than using the quote button, so I guess you're out of luck if you really value the blue names ;)
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

miniboes wrote: That means if you click it you'll be taken to the quoted post. That's quite useful if the post is in another thread but otherwise it's unnecessary. I don't know of any way to find out the post id other than using the quote button, so I guess you're out of luck if you really value the blue names ;)
OK, thanks.