Are Non-atheist's welcomed here?

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

PurpleMystical
Diet: Vegan

Are Non-atheist's welcomed here?

Post by PurpleMystical »

Hello! I recently joined the forum and have looked around for the past couple of hours and noticed that the forum is very heavily Vegan-Atheist guarded (as well as the responded YT vidoes) and anti-Christian on here. I'd like to start out with first saying I'm not Christian but from a Pagan faith.. but respect all faiths fairly (as long as they treat all being's with respect). I have no issue debating religious topics and sharing beliefs... I just wanted to make sure that non-atheists where welcomed here before I shared such (I didn't want to over-step my boundaries) :oops: . There are many religious beliefs that are against harming of animals (and could be quite interesting to talk about). I would PM a staff member with this question-- however, it's saying I don't have enough posts to PM staff.

Bless Be,
PurpleMystical
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Are Non-atheist's welcomed here?

Post by Jebus »

Most of our forumites are atheist or agnostic. I've never seen anyone being disrespectful to a Christian or believer of any other religion. Most of us are here to learn and to debate and for that reason we are happy when religious people join the forum.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Of course you're welcome! Everyone is, including meat-eaters. Religious discussions are quite a large part of this forum, but if you'd rather discuss other stuff you can just ignore that (that's what I do; I don't find it very interesting). Or you can make a topic defending your beliefs, and others will respectfully share their opinion on the matter.
I hope you'll enjoy your time on the forum!
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
PurpleMystical

Post by PurpleMystical »

Thanks for the replies :-) I was just a bit worried that even saying I had religious beliefs of any kind I'll be called stupid (altho I haven't' seen attacks on the site --- I've seen some confronting YT video's). I'd be alright with civil questions or debates (my veganism is highly influenced by my religious views). Just wanted to make sure this wasn't an exclusive forum for atheist-vegan people. As I didn't want to barge into discussion if it was just a niche site for such support. I appreciate the kind responses tho! :-)
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

Hello comrade!

I have a friend whose mother is a pagan. What does Paganism mean to you? Do you identify as a witch? And do you believe in black and white witches, and if so, which one are you? I say this because my friend's mother says she is a witch, but does not believe that one can be a black witch, or a white witch. Do you agree with her? I would be very happy to hear your thoughts.

Kind regards.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Absolutely, veganism is for everybody. :)
It's why we changed the name of the forum, to make it more welcoming. The important part is rational discussion.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 pm Absolutely, veganism is for everybody. :)
It's why we changed the name of the forum, to make it more welcoming. The important part is rational discussion.
Perhaps we should consider removing the religion thing from the profile? Atheism has become more of a side-subject.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
PurpleMystical

Post by PurpleMystical »

It possibly would be more welcoming if there was subforum for pro-veganism related general, ethical/ morally, health/ environmental, religion. It would point to pro-veganism (I think almost every single religious reading all states back to veg/ vegansim that no one follows).
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

We had a debate here once about agnosticism vs atheism, and the conclusion I took from it was that it is possible to have beliefs in spirituality (mine is agnostic) while still not adhering to any one religious doctrine. (basically atheism)

Religious persons are welcome, but if they wish to debate their religious beliefs, they should be prepared to have their ideals challenged, which can be uncomfortable. (I occasionally consider it fun to point out that scientifically, it is impossible for something to be created from nothing, so the religious persons aren't the only ones who have their beliefs challenged! ;) )

Welcome aboard!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.