Can't PM, Have read relevant FAQ

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

James N. Dawson
Diet: Vegan

Can't PM, Have read relevant FAQ

Post by James N. Dawson »

I wanted to ask a question that might be sensitive so I tried PMing the admin, VeganAtheist. The words that said, "Contact VeganAtheist" on his profile wasn't active. How do I do this? I've read the relevant Q on the FAQ but I doesn't seem to explain why I can't find a way to PM VA.
James N. Dawson

Re: Can't PM, Have read relevant FAQ

Never mind. I think I know why. I haven't posted enough.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The Vegan Atheist isn't here very much, I'm not sure if he'll get it.

If it's about the forum. you can contact any of the top posters if you have concerns, the forum is run on the basis of a vague unofficial democracy of the top posters.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:vague unofficial democracy of the top posters.
Sounds like an oligarchy, then :)
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote:The Vegan Atheist isn't here very much, I'm not sure if he'll get it.

If it's about the forum. you can contact any of the top posters if you have concerns, the forum is run on the basis of a vague unofficial democracy of the top posters.
I think it'd be a good idea to list the Demimods somewhere, so that people know who to contact quickly if an issue occurs.

Just saying
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:The Vegan Atheist isn't here very much, I'm not sure if he'll get it.

I think it'd be a good idea to list the Demimods somewhere, so that people know who to contact quickly if an issue occurs.

Just saying
Maybe we can make some sort of "about the forum" thread, like how to register, and who to contact in case of problems.
James N. Dawson

I think everything's pretty well covered in the FAQ and Rules, but I think the Rules button should be along the top somewhere on the Board Index, not just on the various threads.

Here's the relevant passage on PM's from the FAQ:

There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the board administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or the board administrator has prevented you from sending messages. Contact a board administrator for more information.

I guess it's either the last 2 clauses in my case. But the next question is "why"?

Having said that, I'll come right out with my question:

Is Swayze/Unnatural vegan a member of this forum? Does she contribute? I see she links to this forum on her YouTube channel.

Feel free to delete this question or post if it's inappropriate or not allowed. (It's never clear what's in/appropriate these days, mores and etiquette have changed so much since my day.)

Edit: How do you contact a board administrator if even their PM button is disabled???
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

James N. Dawson wrote:I think everything's pretty well covered in the FAQ and Rules, but I think the Rules button should be along the top somewhere on the Board Index, not just on the various threads.
That would be cool, although I don't think PHPBB allows that. We're kind of limited by the software.
James N. Dawson wrote:There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the board administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or the board administrator has prevented you from sending messages. Contact a board administrator for more information.
PMs aren't disabled, and you haven't specifically been denied as far as I know (you're new, and it wouldn't make any sense that you've been blocked from anything).
It may be set to that new members can't PM, but I don't think it is.
Newly registered users are those with less than 25 posts (or maybe including 25?).

Once you have over 25 posts, if you still can't PM, then it's definitely not that. What web browser are you using?
I'll try to figure out the problem.
James N. Dawson wrote:Is Swayze/Unnatural vegan a member of this forum? Does she contribute? I see she links to this forum on her YouTube channel.
She has an account, which she has posted from a dozen times maybe. She links to us and we link to her. She can't really answer people's questions in her comments section, I guess she's really busy, so it's good to link to somewhere people can get support that's not the youtube comment section (if you've ever read it, it's pretty terrible).
She responds to messages pretty randomly if at all.

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Zy2OQPvFk
The facebook group is a closed group, though, and I heard they got totally overwhelmed by requests after that video and people were being denied (I don't use facebook, so I just know what I heard).
So, this is basically the only option currently... :?
James N. Dawson wrote:Feel free to delete this question or post if it's inappropriate or not allowed. (It's never clear what's in/appropriate these days, mores and etiquette have changed so much since my day.)
It's totally fine. :)
James N. Dawson wrote:Edit: How do you contact a board administrator if even their PM button is disabled???
Can you PM me or miniboes or RedAppleGP or EquALLity? Maybe it's just TheVeganAtheist. It's also possible his inbox is full?