"Like" feature

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

knot
Master in Training

"Like" feature

Post by knot »

I believe there is an addon for phpBB forums that lets you "like" posts. I think that would be cool to have, so you can acknowledge a post without having to reply
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: "Like" feature

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The potential problem with that is that it reduces the quantity of posts and prevents opportunity for discussion.

"Dislike" is even worse, since people just down vote instead of engaging in debate to learn something.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I think you can just say "Yeah, that's true dildoshwaggins. I think another good point is X" or something along those lines. That can really make topics go somewhere..
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

RedAppleGP wrote:I think you can just say "Yeah, that's true dildoshwaggins. I think another good point is X" or something along those lines. That can really make topics go somewhere..
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Or an image, that works too.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Mateo3112
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Mateo3112 »

Something like this?
Of course, not exactly this one since i took it from google and might be subject to copyright laws.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure" -George Carlin
Mateo3112

Post by Mateo3112 »

brimstoneSalad wrote:The potential problem with that is that it reduces the quantity of posts and prevents opportunity for discussion.

"Dislike" is even worse, since people just down vote instead of engaging in debate to learn something.
I disagree.
People who just like a comment probably won't add anything new to the disscusion, they'll only state that they agree with a certain opinion. And those who disagree with an opinion are most likely to leave a comment explaining their motives as to why they disagree.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure" -George Carlin
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Mateo3112 wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:The potential problem with that is that it reduces the quantity of posts and prevents opportunity for discussion.

I disagree.
People who just like a comment probably won't add anything new to the disscusion, they'll only state that they agree with a certain opinion. And those who disagree with an opinion are most likely to leave a comment explaining their motives as to why they disagree.
How do you know? What is this based off of?
I don't agree. I mean, knot's entire reason for proposing this was to make people able to like instead of replying.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Mateo3112

Post by Mateo3112 »

EquALLity wrote: How do you know? What is this based off of?
I don't agree. I mean, knot's entire reason for proposing this was to make people able to like instead of replying.
I'm not new to the internet, i have seen it happen far too often.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Somebody commenting without adding much to the discussion is fine. Any activity makes the forum more active. And hey, maybe they'll post some thoughts, if not, it doesn't hurt.