Increasing number of bots

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Increasing number of bots

Post by Red »

Have you guys noticed that we're getting more bots than ever? Bots that post in Russian, spam links, etc..
I have moved a few of their topics, but where are they all coming from, and why so many right now?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Increasing number of bots

Post by miniboes »

I've been moving them too. Perhaps something wrong with the security questions?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

miniboes wrote:I've been moving them too. Perhaps something wrong with the security questions?

They may also be human "robots"... People in low income parts of the world paid to join a list of forums each day to copy/paste spam. I had an issue with it in a forum I ran. Limiting new members to just one post in the welcoming area, until a mod sees it and can lift that ban may help, if the forum software here can do that.

*Shrugs*
Carnist: Kills animals and then takes from their bodies
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Sapphire Lightning wrote:
miniboes wrote:I've been moving them too. Perhaps something wrong with the security questions?

They may also be human "robots"... People in low income parts of the world paid to join a list of forums each day to copy/paste spam. I had an issue with it in a forum I ran. Limiting new members to just one post in the welcoming area, until a mod sees it and can lift that ban may help, if the forum software here can do that.

*Shrugs*
Do they still get paid if we remove their posts?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote:Do they still get paid if we remove their posts?
Remember they are technically not "removed", if you know what I mean.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

RedAppleGP wrote:
EquALLity wrote:Do they still get paid if we remove their posts?
Remember they are technically not "removed", if you know what I mean.
But they can't be found nonetheless, which means the employers have no way of making sure the employee actually did it.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote: But they can't be found nonetheless, which means the employers have no way of making sure the employee actually did it.
Well what if the bots are one of us? Or the bossman takes the guy's word for it?
-Leonardo da Vinci
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

I don't know how they would get paid, I would imagine it has something to do with just answering the security questions or Captchas for the bot to do the rest of the work. If it is a part of the bot, the employer could easily confirm that the bot was able to post the actual message.

Regardless, I think limiting new users to the Welcome forum and to one post per day until a mod can see that they introduced themselves properly will cut down on a lot of this junk.
Carnist: Kills animals and then takes from their bodies
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Sapphire Lightning wrote:I don't know how they would get paid, I would imagine it has something to do with just answering the security questions or Captchas for the bot to do the rest of the work. If it is a part of the bot, the employer could easily confirm that the bot was able to post the actual message.

Regardless, I think limiting new users to the Welcome forum and to one post per day until a mod can see that they introduced themselves properly will cut down on a lot of this junk.
I think it's live humans answering the question and being paid for it. Or somebody might have published an accepted answer somewhere. It might be better to just remove the security question now.

It's pretty easy to remove the spam so far, and they can't post active links... so I don't think they're getting much use of spamming here. We catch them pretty quickly, since we have people in a bunch of time zones.

I'd hate to make it more difficult for legitimate members to post. And having to approve members would probably be as much work as moving bot posts. They mostly just post one or two times.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I switched the plugin back to a simple image. We'll see if that helps or not. It probably won't help.