Increasing number of bots

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Increasing number of bots

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote:I switched the plugin back to a simple image. We'll see if that helps or not. It probably won't help.
It's worth a shot.

And it may be the only shot we have.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I only remove a topic one every few days, so it's not a big deal for me. If the others have similar numbers then I don't think we need to up our security
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I can ban some e-mail domains, that might help.

Anybody see anything wrong with banning dot ru e-mail domains? I'm not sure if we have any legit users with such emails, but many spammers do.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:I switched the plugin back to a simple image. We'll see if that helps or not. It probably won't help.
It's worth a shot.

And it may be the only shot we have.
Tons of spammers. I put the Q&A back.

We need to come up with some more Q&A questions.

Ideally things that are subject related, and would be easy to answer for somebody interested in the forum (vegan or not), but hard for a spammer.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I've disabled the ability to add a do follow link in the profile.

I also removed a bunch of users that had never logged in, had zero posts, and have spammy email domains (like .ru). Unlikely that I got any legit users, but sorry if I did; there were thousands of them, most recent from our bot flood.
I also deactivated some similar users who signed up before the forum move and never logged in once and didn't have any posts.

Should I go ahead and delete users who registered more than six months ago, have never logged in, and have zero posts regardless of email address?
I don't really want to spam reminders (I don't think it's worth it when if a user rediscovers the forum, said user can just sign up again).