Let's cancel the Tavern

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Let's cancel the Tavern

Post by Jebus »

I don't see the point of the Tavern. Sometimes there are interesting points or good videos posted, but I don't have the time to read through loads of shit just to find them. If someone has anything interesting to post I suggest you do so with a clear heading in the subgroup where it best fits in. This way your post will reach a much bigger audience.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Let's cancel the Tavern

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That might be a good idea. Or Demimods can start splitting off new threads from the tavern when something interesting comes up.

Can you split posts?

EDIT: I just tried out your permissions. You can. Just click the little hammer icon at the bottom of the thread page, which is to the right of the "post reply" button, and the wrench, and select "split topic" from the options that has.
You can then write a new topic title, select the forum it will go in, then click the check boxes for all of the posts that will go in the new topic, and make sure it says "split selected posts" or something like that.

Let's all try to do this from now on whenever a conversation starts in that thread.
Let's say for just that thread, nobody needs to ask for permission or consensus to split off new topics when a conversation starts from a post. That should keep things easier to follow.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I agree (even though I made it). On most forums I've been active on, too many topics is a big problem; forums like these have no hierarchy of topics, so if there's a lot of them it's hard to figure out what's relevant and interesting. On this forum, however, traffic is so little that the tavern is unnecessary and potentially counterproductive.

I think the "Does Bernie Sanders Have A Chance?" topic has grown to be very similar; a sort of 'politics tavern'. Perhaps we should use the same policy Brimstone suggests for that?

Maybe we should even have a 'Politics' or 'Politics & Policy' subforum.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^You might be sort of right about that, but kind of I like it because I don't want to let go of Bernie. :lol:

Ok, I agree that it'd be good to move some posts from that and make new topics (like the recent posts about Trump's sexual assault comments). But I think that, like with chatting in the Tavern, there's a place for chatting about politics that doesn't need its own topic (like a comment about how there's a debate that night- does that really need its own topic?).

What do you guys think?

I also agree about a Politics subforum. :)
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

EquALLity wrote:^You might be sort of right about that, but kind of I like it because I don't want to let go of Bernie. :lol:
He's still a senator, you know ;)
I agree that it'd be good to move some posts from that and make new topics (like the recent posts about Trump's sexual assault comments). But I think that, like with chatting in the Tavern, there's a place for chatting about politics that doesn't need its own topic (like a comment about how there's a debate that night- does that really need its own topic?).
It may be better to just accept a lower quality of threads. Threads that go on for many pages on one singular issue, with thoughtful arguments back and forth, is the best thing this forum has to offer in my opinion. However, threads like that are rare. We may need to stomach some short threads with low depth (example: how do i make tasty chocolate soymilk?) in order to facilitate the kind of activity that brings forth more in-depth threads.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

How about we create a new forum specifically for Tavern worthy stuff?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:How about we create a new forum specifically for Tavern worthy stuff?
There are two off topic forums already.

I think more threads wouldn't be a problem right now. It would be easier to organize and more approachable for new members.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:How about we create a new forum specifically for Tavern worthy stuff?

I think more threads wouldn't be a problem right now. It would be easier to organize and more approachable for new members.
I meant topics that don't deserve a topic if their own.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

RedAppleGP wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote:

I meant topics that don't deserve a topic if their own.
Every topic can have its own topic. It it doesn't get responses, it'll just float down the page and vanish. I think that's OK.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Alright, so it's OK?
-Leonardo da Vinci