Necessity of "Religion" Part of Profile?

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Necessity of "Religion" Part of Profile?

Post by Red »

Yeah, since we're not TheVeganAtheist Forum anymore, I think we should get rid of the part of your profile where you have to put your religion. I mean, we changed it to Philosophical Vegan to seem more welcoming, and when a theist joins and sees that they have to put their religion, they won't appreciate too much. Just sayin', what do you guys think?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Necessity of "Religion" Part of Profile?

Post by EquALLity »

I'm not sure why you think it would be offensive to religious people at all, especially why it'd be more offensive to them than atheists. It's not like it's implying atheism is better; it's just asking your religious affiliation.

I agree that it's less relevant now, though, and might seem a bit out of place. Maybe we could add other things, like political leanings and worldview. It is the philosophical vegan forum, after all.

Though, maybe it's actually not so out of place. Religion and philosophy are pretty connected.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

EquALLity wrote:I'm not sure why you think it would be offensive to religious people at all, especially why it'd be more offensive to them than atheists. It's not like it's implying atheism is better; it's just asking your religious affiliation.
I didn't say offensive, I said it may be a turn off for some jackasses.
EquALLity wrote:Though, maybe it's actually not so out of place. Religion and philosophy are pretty connected.
But we aren't including atheism as a topic of primary discussion. You just said something else would be good for philosophy, but I think we should just have diet.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I was thinking more profile options. You can select as many, or as little as you would like to put out. If someone is offended by the mere existence of ( or lack of) someone else's religion, doesn't seem like the type of person who would be able to have a serious debate to me.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

What other profile options, and what possible answers?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

brimstoneSalad wrote:What other profile options, and what possible answers?
Maybe like where you lean on a political scale. Like if you're a liberal or a conservative and shit like that. Not sure what you mean by answers.
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

I like EquAllity's ideas about political leanings and worldviews, but also a few benign possibilities, (favorite color, animal, legume?), maybe with a total cap. Select X number of choices and answers. (5 or so maybe) Perhaps even one or two with answers you fill in, with a letter limit to discourage spam. (I'd recommend admin approval for any "fill-in" answers. Of course I know nothing of the actual technical issues involved, so that's up to those who would have to deal with that. :) )

Most of the people who seem to hang around want a serious debate, so it shouldn't matter if they select Christian Republican Vegan Homosexual, or Atheist Libertarian Fruitarian Asexual, the ones who are serious about debating different topics shouldn't have a problem with someone of a different "label" joining a discussion. If anything, it would weed out those who only want to hear from people who agree with everything they say. Thus the debate aspect.

I stumbled on this forum because of TVA, but I stayed because of the well thought out debates. The forum has a Vegan basis, but if it is only appealing to other Vegans, there is little chance of actually changing people's mind who wouldn't have considered Veganism in the first place. (I came here because of the Atheism videos. I had no intention whatsoever of changing my diet in the least, but the discussions about it made me think, so....) I suppose it boils down to would you rather have a Vegan support forum, or a Vegan based debate forum.

Taxation is theft.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

PsYcHo wrote:I like EquAllity's ideas about political leanings and worldviews, but also a few benign possibilities, (favorite color, animal, legume?), maybe with a total cap. Select X number of choices and answers. (5 or so maybe) Perhaps even one or two with answers you fill in, with a letter limit to discourage spam. (I'd recommend admin approval for any "fill-in" answers. Of course I know nothing of the actual technical issues involved, so that's up to those who would have to deal with that. :) )
I like that, but it does make us look a bit unprofessional (I mean, it's an internet forum, and I'm not really mature, but..........) Anyways, maybe we can add shit like favourite fruit and vegetable and shit like that. Maybe a little about you, what stuff you're into (if you know what I mean ;;))))
-Leonardo da Vinci
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum

Post by PsYcHo »

RedAppleGP wrote: I like that, but it does make us look a bit unprofessional
I suggest you are the one who brings it up to the shareholders. This may topple the Yen.
RedAppleGP wrote: (I mean, it's an internet forum, and I'm not really mature, but..........)
:o
RedAppleGP wrote: Anyways, maybe we can add shit like favourite fruit and vegetable and shit like that. Maybe a little about you, what stuff you're into (if you know what I mean ;;))))
SOMEBODY HELP RED!! HIS FINGER IS STUCK ON THE PARENTHESIS KEY!!! AND HE NEEDS THAT FINGER!!!! :?

Taxation is theft.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

PsYcHo wrote: I suggest you are the one who brings it up to the shareholders. This may topple the Yen.
true (whatever the hell what you said means)
PsYcHo wrote:
SOMEBODY HELP RED!! HIS FINGER IS STUCK ON THE PARENTHESIS KEY!!! AND HE NEEDS THAT FINGER!!!! :?
Yeah! How do you expect me to masturbate and type out ignorant ass essays? This is an outrage, I blame brimstone))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
-Leonardo da Vinci